What are some of the best and worst things about Boston?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCTravelStaff. Show BDCTravelStaff's posts

What are some of the best and worst things about Boston?

Travel and Leisure Magazine this week released the results of its annual survey of "America's Favorite Cities," with Boston getting high marks from visitors for its classical music, culture, and history. But the grades for local barbecue, friendliness, and weather weren't so kind. What are some of the things you most like and/or dislike about Boston? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JwowKid. Show JwowKid's posts

Re: What are some of the best and worst things about Boston?

Travel and Leisure Magazine must be based in Charleston or have roots there. Pretty biased articles and not the first one I read by them.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogasong44. Show yogasong44's posts

Best:  Greenspaces, walkability, cultural events, the T, The Sox, The Pats, The Celts (sorry, I'm not a hockey fan), JP!
    Worst:  Snowy sidewalks in winter, parking, dowtown driving, selection of vegetarian restaurant options

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kalafish. Show kalafish's posts

I was looking for a category for Sports.  Boston is definitely one of the best sports cities in the country.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PAR1. Show PAR1's posts

worst:  too many college students.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from williamwilliam. Show williamwilliam's posts

best: hospitals
    worst: MBTA and traffic signals fail in the rain.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cp77. Show cp77's posts

I am a hockey fan, and I love going to college games in and around the city(along with Bruins games) and the fact that I can take a bus or train to all of them. I've often heard people from other areas of the country, the Midwest in particular, remark about how good we have it geographically. I grew up in Vermont and I can be in the Green Mountains in three hours.

http://www.cannondesign.com/FILES/original/2009/09/24/3f1d1cac07eac17b229898ac7dd24b68210303d9.jpg

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RobertaWar. Show RobertaWar's posts

best:  walkability, the T (even though it can be frustrating sometimes, I don't have to drive.)

worst: too many college students, weather, too many very cranky people

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Christa99. Show Christa99's posts

In Response to Re: What are some of the best and worst things about Boston?:
    worst:  too many college students.
    Posted by PAR1

completely agree

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheHunter. Show TheHunter's posts

Hate the traffic and parking, love the inexpensive ethnic restaurants.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lem144. Show lem144's posts

Best: walkability, public transit, and I actually like the snowy winters.
    Worst: bad drivers (dont block the box, crosswalks and run red lights please!) and rude people.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from popomatic. Show popomatic's posts

From the perspective of someone who did not grow up here:

Best: Historic tourist attractions.  The North End.  Fresh seafood. some north shore beaches.

Worst:   The "townies" who rival NYC on rudeness.  Traffic/Parking (makes getting to any sort of "night life" in the city a rather unpleasant task).  MBTA service in the suburbs.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MelrosePaul. Show MelrosePaul's posts

Worst thing...Everything is overpriced, and they might as well pass out parking tickets as soon as you enter the city limits. I avoid Boston as much as possible.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CBSouthie617. Show CBSouthie617's posts

Best- Southie
    Worst- Yuppies

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bnixon. Show bnixon's posts

I looked at the Travel and Leisure survey yesterday and found it to be an atrocious way to compare U.S. cities.  No basis in reality. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CBSouthie617. Show CBSouthie617's posts

From the perspective of someone who did not grow up here: Best: Historic tourist attractions.  The North End.  Fresh seafood. some north shore beaches. Worst:   The "townies" who rival NYC on rudeness.  Traffic/Parking (makes getting to any sort of "night life" in the city a rather unpleasant task).  MBTA service in the suburbs.
    Posted by popomatic

The worst thing in the city is the people who where here way before you? Funny cus people like me think the worst thing is people like you who move into our neighborhoods.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from fairnsquare. Show fairnsquare's posts

Best things: mandatory health insurance (good for the long run), hospitals (numerous and renowned), students (wealthy consumers)

Worst things: mandatory health insurance (unregulated high premiums), hospitals (costly and overworked staff), students (party animals)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from G7. Show G7's posts

Boston in some respect a sleepy boring city , compare to London NYC and Tel Aviv. As so many refer to Boston a Europen City maybe by look but not by the content. Food options, bars, clubs hours of operation, transportation. Boston feels like a bedroom community compare to NYC or the burbs compare to Paris, London or Berlin. It needs to be more cosmopolitan so you can fly direcly to Asia and  middle East just Europe.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from thomas-w. Show thomas-w's posts

Definitely the worst thing about Boston is the snotty, snobby and angry people here.  You can tell the difference between a local and a newcomer.
    Posted by JBrighton

I'm guessing you're a local then?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from neildo1936. Show neildo1936's posts

Boston is the greatest city in the country. Walkability The Sox,Celts, Bruins etc
    The T, Theaters, Shopping. The people of Boston are not rude or aloof. They are a proud confident lot.

darn!!!! Shame on you up if you can't stand the slushy side walks or the cold.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PabloHiminez. Show PabloHiminez's posts

The worst part of Boston is the people who work in the State House.  The people in the City Hall aren't far behind.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dorchesterdd. Show dorchesterdd's posts

BEST:  Locals, Boston accent, intellect of population, availability of great restaurants, theatres, bars, easy access to beaches, mountains, the fact that native drivers know how to circumnavigate a rotary with ease, walkability of Boston, different neighborhoods.

WORST:  Trust fund babies/college kids/transplants who moved here on mom & dad's dime, remain after graduation, annoying people who mispronounce the letter "O" - saying the word Dog as if it's spelled Daaahg or Mom as if it's spelled Maaahm, winter weather, tourists/transplants who don't know enough to get out of the way when others try to board an MBTA bus or train, conservative republicans who come to Massachusetts and complain that it's not as politically conservative as their home state.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimmyD34. Show JimmyD34's posts

Best: Walkability, co-eds, health care and tech industry, proximity to beaches and mountains, hard-core sports scene

Worst: Blue laws, early closing times, and last but not least - xenophobia (just look at most of these comments - either complaining about college kids or townies...Boston xenophobia at its finest) 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimmyD34. Show JimmyD34's posts

JimmyD34, go back to Nebraska.  I hear they take all kinds out there.
    Posted by dorchesterdd

No thanks, champ...I'm from here.  Nice job displaying the "intellect of the population"! 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Floundah. Show Floundah's posts

Best: It's a beautiful, livable city. It's heaven for choristers and early music people. We have the Boston Symphony Orchestra and all the great things that go with it.

Worst: NYC beats Boston hands down for opera. Boston is completely opera-starved. In my opinion, the Boston Lyric and the other local opera companies just aren't enough -- and I am not the only one who feels that way. Sorry, Boston!

Sections
Shortcuts