What are some of your favorite slang words?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCTravelStaff. Show BDCTravelStaff's posts

What are some of your favorite slang words?

If you compiled every unique Boston slang or pronunciation, you’d probably have enough words to write a book, and it’s no different in Vancouver, where a blend of Canadian linguistics and terms unique to British Columbia are the norm. More than just “Pahking the Cahr” and “Aboot,” Vancouver and Boston seemingly at times have their own languages. What are some of your favorites?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from todug27. Show todug27's posts

Re: What are some of your favorite slang words?

I live in vancouver (from mass) and have never once heard any of the terms you mentioned in this article.  Huge reach here.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevef. Show stevef's posts

What are you on about? Words like "ice lolly","cling film" and "plaster" are simply English words you hear a lot in Britain as well. Nothing "Vancouver" about them.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from AguaCaliente. Show AguaCaliente's posts

After visiting the UK a couple of summers ago, as well as having frequent contact with my employer's offices in London and elsewhere, I agree with SteveF. Also, "book it" is in no way a Boston-only expression. Heard/used it elsewhere as far back as the mid-1960s. It may be that that "aboot" is Vancouver-ish, but it is also U.S. Mid-Atlantic, for "about," of course.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from artiefufkin. Show artiefufkin's posts

As gentrification has taken over Boston, about the only place you'll ever hear the terms described in this article are Revere, Winthrop, and Quincy (which are towns that the Globe largely doesn't even cover: 2 of these 3 aren't even part of the "Your Town" feature of this website... so much for local flavor)!

Sections
Shortcuts