What makes Boston perfect?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockeylad2003. Show hockeylad2003's posts

A, duh... the Red Sox, Celtics and Bruins (well maybe next year)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from llibgib. Show llibgib's posts

The Bruins (?) well, they are doing better

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from alberto6. Show alberto6's posts

Define perfect.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from eemac32. Show eemac32's posts

Fenway Park is perfect. Best place there is with the best team ever. Love the Sox!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonboy9. Show bostonboy9's posts

This is a ridiculous discussion topic considering all the things that are wrong with Boston. I love Boston, I was born here, raised here and live and work here. However, I'm well travelled around Europe and many other places, so I think I know perfect when I see it. Boston could be perfect if we could eliminate all the beaurocracy and bad politicians and have a decent BRA with a brain, however, we do not. The Rose Kennedy Greenway is just one example of how Boston is so imperfect. With all the years to plan this thing, look what it ends up as. Boston can't even scrape up the money to build the Horticultual pavillion that would have been perfect for this city. I think it is a major dissapointment as it now stands. Let's not even discuss the traffic jams that are still taking place after the Big Dig. We were told that situation would alleviate traffic and it has not, some poor lady even died because of the ineptitude of its planning. Rents and costs of living here are skyrocketing with no help from the city. There's plenty of talk, but never any action. The city doesn't even go around taking plastic bags out of the trees, cleaning the streets properly, etc., etc., etc., It took twenty years to get something going on Fan Pier and now the city wants to fill it with laboratories and companies and banks, all of which, just like the courthouse, deadens the area around it after 5:00 p.m. I could go on and on here, but I'm getting too upset thinking about all that could be perfect, but aint.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bullnbost9. Show bullnbost9's posts

All of the natural beauty that surrounds Boston within a 100 mile radius is purfect!

The Harbor Islands are one example of this!

edc_qcy

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonboy9. Show bostonboy9's posts

Thanks George for your perspective. I guess I cannot see the forest for the trees. I will continue to try and stay positive about Boston.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcq. Show tcq's posts

The T. Logan Airport when it snows. And Gillette Stadium in Foxboro instead of Fan Pier - where it should be. Bah humbug.

But I wouldn't live anywhere else.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from beads77. Show beads77's posts

It's NOT New York City!!!

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from szyznyk. Show szyznyk's posts

It isn't Lowell.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lccprez. Show lccprez's posts

For kids - Swan boats, ducklings

For adults - Ritz bar

For irony - new hotel at the Charles Street Jail.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from raegreen. Show raegreen's posts

Oh, so many things perfect about Boston...Let me see...

1) Tai Chi at the fort in Fort Hill, Roxbury

2) Walking around Jamaica Pond or Franklin Park

3) Playing up the Boston accent when you are not in Boston - it can be quite charming

4) My friends (no one is perfect, but they come pretty darn close)

5) Accessbility to other states(NH, RI, NY, VT etc...)

6) Boston Common all lit up in the winter

7) Ice Skating on the Frog Pond

8) The neighborhoods(or streets) where people are good to one another and look out for one another. My street in Dorchester is a great example

9) The diversity. We don't all get along quite yet, but we are working on it.

10) Garbage pick up - they take everything!

11) Shopping - great mix of upscale boutiques and places like H&M.

12) It is next to Cambridge

13) The Arboretum(sp?)

14) The variety of yummmy food from all around the world

I am sure I can think of more. Just give me a little time:)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tombannist. Show tombannist's posts

Dim sum on Chinese New Year

Zakim bridge, all lit up

Science Museum, hit right when they open

Monster seats

Christmas tree farms (cut it yourself)

Apple orchards (pick it yourself)

Wa, wa, wa-chu-sett...

Swan boats with toddlers in tow

Cruise to harbor islands on a sunny day

view atop Boston light

Fall festivals, like the Bolton Fair

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxpatsfan12. Show soxpatsfan12's posts

The Boston College Eagles!

Nationally ranked in: men's soccer, women's soccer, field hockey, football, men's ice hockey and women's ice hockey.

FLYIN' HIGH AT THE HEIGHTS!

Sorry Harvard, Northeastern and B.U. but the Beanpot trophy is going back to the Heights where it rightfully belongs!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kcp1. Show kcp1's posts

Are you kidding that Tom Brady helps make Boston perfect??? What a joke...athlete of the year...he certainly is NOT father of the year!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonboy9. Show bostonboy9's posts

Beantown04: Get over yourself. It's because of people like you, the sheep of Boston who just accept all the failings of city government, graft and corruption and misuse of public funds that we find ourselves far from the perfect city. If more people like you would take off their rose colored glasses and speak up and actively participate in local politics, we might have a better city.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from schnail. Show schnail's posts

The super-courteous drivers, and the excellent drainage.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 10-27-04. Show 10-27-04's posts

Parvalbumin, you consider yourself an intellectual because you look down on sports, but they are not mutually exclusive. I work in the sports industry (outside of -->New England-->) and some of the most effective leaders and smartest people I know have been or are world-class athletes. Check out Harvard Business Review The Making of a Corporate Athlete by Jim Loehr and consider that sports/training/physical activity directly increases well-being and mental sharpness. As far as fan-dom, letÆs consider that baseball is a game FULL of statistics and -->-->Boston-->--> is a town where the fan base is oddly knowledgeable on each and every one. A truly ignorant fan would be ripped to shreds in -->-->Boston as is evidenced on many of these discussion boards-->-->. Furthermore, being a -->-->Boston-->--> sports fan means being passionate about somethingàand IÆd take that over the self-inflated perception you have of your own intelligence, which is likely quite average. -->-->--> -->To all of you who prefer to take a negative perspective and list what is wrong with the cityàyou're missing out. Try leaving town for an extended period of time and I promise you that youÆll discover a whole new appreciation for life in -->-->Boston and New England-->-->. I know itÆs easy to take things for granted and dwell on the problems, but try not to miss all the great things about the area. And if you really do think itÆs so bad at the end of the dayàwell, you should probably consider leaving and heading to a place that youÆll enjoy more.-->-->--> -->To those who have left -->-->Boston-->--> (and coincidentally seem to have long lists of ôpositivesö), I couldnÆt agree moreàthe list of things I miss goes on and on. Though not without itÆs problems, itÆs a fantastic place that really does rate well in comparison to most American cities.-->-->

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2ndsuffolk. Show 2ndsuffolk's posts

1. So many good things already mentioned by the positive thinkers, let's just stay focused on the good for now, such as:

2. The Brandeis Judges mens basketball, #2 in the nation Division III, Go "deis!

3. An up and coming b-ball team at BC, with some very talented freshmen

4. Lost Nation, where true Sox fans congregate

5. Putterham! Mandarin Goumet, Cheryl Ann's and Andreas' Deli, who needs anything else to eat? (except maybe a Pearl hot dog)

6. Harvard Ave in Brookline, in case you're still hungry ....or Blue Ribbon barbecue, or Baker's Best ...

7. Rozzie Square, for even more glorious food!

8. Fort Point for cool artists

9. Copley and Dewey Squares, for farmers markets with fresh local foods

10 The Milky Way

lots more --- Zaffarano's in Eastie, The Kells in Brighton, softball on the Common field, b-ball in the Fens, all sorts of charity events throughout the City and so on and so on! Makes ya kinda proud.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from fibrowitch. Show fibrowitch's posts

As one of those people who moved away for college, got a job out of state and stayed away for twenty years Each and every time I came back, I left with tears in my eyes, I missed home so much. Not my family, but the way the city feels, the air we breath. How the Old State House felt like it missed me when I got off at State Street. I was so happy to come home.

Boston must be perfect, more people show up every year, and push those of us who were born here further and further away from the city.

Now if we could just find out why so many people move here to figure out who they are, or just refuse to go home when they graduate, and CHANGE it. So we can have our city to our selves again.

I miss the good days when it was just us!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgustin. Show jgustin's posts

What doesn't make it perfect? It's the most unique city in the US. The country was born here (well, Lexington & Concord) and we're damn proud of it!

The main reason why Boston is perfect is not the WS champs Red Sox, 14-0 Pats, 21-3 Celtics, or the B's who are looking pretty good...IT'S US THAT MAKES IT PERFECT!

It's everything about us! It's everything about this city! I agree with one of the earlier bloggers though...I've been away for 3 and a half years and everytime I head to Logan to go back to Denver, I get tears in my eyes! The drive up the Southeast Expressway heading toward the airport is the best drive, bar none! The way that you see downtown and the Back Bay...the view...most people take it for granted because they make that grind Mon thru Fri. But think about it...if you were headed to the airport and you knew that you were not going to be home for a few months...you'd get tears in your eyes too.

We may be ruder than most of the rest of the country, but let me tell you, when you're down south, out west, or in the middle of the country, and people ask where you're from, people from Boston have the most pride in saying that they are from the best city in the country...

BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from traveler01880. Show traveler01880's posts

For all its imperfections, public transportation. Yes, I mean the MBTA!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from alex74redsox. Show alex74redsox's posts

spare change guy

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from neutral12. Show neutral12's posts

I think the author of this article is using the word "perfect", probably tongue in cheek, to mean best. It's amusing to me that so many posters don't recognize this. Of course, Boston is not a perfect city. No city is. If this is your argument/opinion, please don't bother to post. You are stating the obvious and completely missing the tone and spirit of this article.