What other words or phrases define how Bostonians speak?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dougzinboston. Show dougzinboston's posts

Re: What other words or phrases define how Bostonians speak?

In response to OneBostonian's comment:

Where is the author from? Connecticut?  No Bostonian calls a sub a grinder.

Grinder is exclusively used in some parts of Pennsylvania and Eastern Massachusetts.  As I mentioned previously, a sub shop that tried to claim it invented the name used to be in Scollay Square.  Please don't make me tell you where Scollay Square is/was.

No Bostonian that knows anything about (or uses) Boston slang calls it a grinder. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from M--S. Show M--S's posts

You're from Boston if you know what a "Smoot" is.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dougzinboston. Show dougzinboston's posts

I went to the packie gettin' some rum and ban ged a left over to the sub shop.  Got a roast beef grinder and a tonic and they toasted my sub wicked perfect.  Got a drink in the bubbler and almost took a header tripping on this lady's pocketbook.  Called her a re re and hung a right to the ice cream shop where I ordered a chocolate frappe and a vanilla ice cream with jimmies to go.  I almost got hit cutting through te rotary but happily watched my Brooons that night.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dougzinboston. Show dougzinboston's posts

In response to dougzinboston's comment:
    No Bostonian that knows anything about (or uses) Boston slang calls it a grinder. 

Ugh, I said that wrong...should have read:

Any Bostonian that knows anything about (or uses) Boston slang calls it a grinder. 

If you don't call it a grinder or order a tonic, you're probably of the younger generation.  If you have to be told where Scollay Square is, you probably don't say either of those.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from boardsnblades. Show boardsnblades's posts

No-SUH! Pick up a 30 rack at the packie and we can watch the B's in my cella. Know what I'm sayin'.  Bring some wicked cool Dotti chicks... 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hallsm. Show hallsm's posts

In response to rd333's comment:

The weather phenomenon known as "Raw". Only in Boston does a learned Meteorologist refer to a 45-55 degree day with light rain as "Raw".

Yeah, but you have to pronounce it rawhr.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hallsm. Show hallsm's posts

I went to the packie gettin' some rum and ban ged a left over to the sub shop.  Got a roast beef grinder and a tonic and they toasted my sub wicked perfect.  Got a drink in the bubbler and almost took a header tripping on this lady's pocketbook.  Called her a re re and hung a right to the ice cream shop where I ordered a chocolate frappe and a vanilla ice cream with jimmies to go.  I almost got hit cutting through te rotary but happily watched my Brooons that night.

Nice, except it's 'pockey-book', not pocket-book.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from acter. Show acter's posts

You absolutely are not the last person in the world to call it "tonic".  I do.  That's what they were -- tonics!  A "soda" is something you get at a soda fountain.

Finally glad to not be the last person in the world to still call it tonic.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

In response to jpramas' comment:

agree with others that the initial list was extremely weak ... but I'd also say that people should be focusing on some of our unusual words, phrases, and expressions ... not just the fact that we pronounce some words (wuhds) differently than people in other parts of the country do ... 

But still, would Southie natives please describe - and cite - differences between their pronunciations and New Yorkers'?  I have California friends who say they can't tell the difference.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from flybyebye. Show flybyebye's posts

"I want to ax youse a question".  I've heard this throughout all city boroughs, mostly out of the mouths of teenagers.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Keeballs. Show Don-Keeballs's posts

Mingia!  I gotta get to DeMoulas before they close!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wdowrey. Show wdowrey's posts

Elastics.  Where I come from - rubber bands. 

Bubblers.  Where I come from - water fountain.

Grinders?  30 years in Mass, always a sub.  Sorry, I think you got that one wrong.

And distinctly New England - adding the EEE sound to a mans first name.  Tommy, Bobby, Billy, Jimmy, Johnny, Marky, Kenny.  Every work environment I've worked in I've noticed the men tend to do this to each other. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wdowrey. Show wdowrey's posts

In response to Firewind's comment:
    Quinzie, Peeb'dee, Summav'll, Leminsta, Wista, Mass Av, Mass Av bridge (instead of Harvard Bridge), Comm Ave, Sturrow Drive, The Shell, the Zakim Bridge (though nobody knows who he was), the (Mass) Pike, the Turnpike Extension, a "pond" can be a mile wide - aka a lake in the western US, going "down" to Cape Ann or Maine, and for them, "going up to Boston", "spring" = "May", "cold" = 30 below zero with wind, dewpoint (an obsession), The Game, Legal's, Mumbles (even though we like him), Jake, a regular (coffee), the Blue Laws, Thickly Settled, "Go over this way for five minutes and bang a right, go eight minutes, bang another right, then bang a left after a couple minutes..." 

This was a GREAT response!!  Wicked pissah!  Mumbles.  Thickly settled.  (FYI - it means slow down or your gonna get a ticket!)  The Shell.  I also like the other post that said you're a bostonian if you know what a Smoot is!  I know!  I know! 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jellystick. Show jellystick's posts

There are 364.4 smoots plus one ear

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from esaslaw. Show esaslaw's posts

I am a born in Boston guy who moved as a kid to NJ and lived with this stuff all my life.  So, right there with the Hoodsie thing are jimmies, which in the NY are called, ugggghhhh, sprinkles.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TriSec. Show TriSec's posts

"Snizzle"  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PurplePhlogiston. Show PurplePhlogiston's posts

In response to GinnyC's comment:

Back when I was young, we said "going down the cape" and we never, never, ordered a grinder. It was always a sub or sub sandwich.  Rhode Islanders eat grinders .... with banana pickles which they put on everything...

BTW a frappe is more than a milk shake with a scoop of ice cream it is several scoops of ice cream blended with milk and syrup (chocolate hopefully). 

YES!  Milkshake has no ice cream.  Frappe has lots of it, pretty well mixed in.  Not just floating.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PurplePhlogiston. Show PurplePhlogiston's posts

In response to AVL-fan's comment:

...always "Comm" Ave. "Jordan's" w/o the Marsh. "The Basement" w/o Filene's first.

and growing up during the fifties in Newton my mother often used "The Hub of the Universe" as noted, as well as "The Athens of America." On a darker note, Crystal lake was dubbed Polio Pond. A nice alliteration......

Headline writers like 'Hub' because it's so short.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjballou. Show mjballou's posts

"Wicked Pissah"

"Retahhhhhded"

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from M--S. Show M--S's posts

In response to OneBostonian's comment:

Where is the author from? Connecticut?  No Bostonian calls a sub a grinder.

Isn't a grinder what you put your coffee beans in?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from M--S. Show M--S's posts

In response to who-cares-1940's comment:

In response to brownidgirl210 comment:

Do they not say "Blinker" in the rest of the country? 

Of course they do. Where is the writer from? London, maybe?

(another joke: I tried to type "where" apostrophe "ess" and this lame forum thought that "ess" was a profanity. haha)

Down Brockton way they called it a "flicker"

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rogersc31406. Show rogersc31406's posts

In response to 67pal's comment:

how about when tourist try to decipher worcester or say peabody....

HA! Anybody remember the old TV show "St. Elsewhere's"? It was set in Boston and it got EVERYTHING wrong. I used to get so mad when they talked about going to "Wooster."

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from fjsalazar. Show fjsalazar's posts

This is a new one: "Boston Chicken".  It's a driving term - the practice of making a left hand turn by slowly inching out into an intersection, until you either block all traffic and can make that left, or you intimidate the other drivers into letting you complete your turn. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

pissa, pissah.  I still have to explain what this means to non Bostonians.  Charleston chew candy bars are non existent outside boston and possibly now even in Boston.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

"Ahm" for "I'm" -- i.e, Emily Rooney (But that example's not even necessary, it's so commonplace.)

When instructing someone, add the preamble, "Take and..." ...then add your verb.

Sections
Shortcuts