World's happiest places

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhouston. Show mhouston's posts

World's happiest places

Asheville is certainly a magical, happy place. But, I do vote for another North Carolina place - the coast, especially the Outer Banks. Sitting on the beach at Kill Devil Hills and seeing dolphins play in the distance was an especially happy moment.

And, after living "in exile with someone who is now an ex" in NC for over 11 years, I have to say that my happy place is now being back in Boston and New England. :) Call me crazy, but this is HOME!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from venomiss. Show venomiss's posts

World's happiest places

St. Maarten makes me happy! It is even known as the friendly island! Also, any Caribbean or Latino culture knows how to party, celebrate, take a few days off (or a week!) and be happy. I am looking forward to seeing other people's responses!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from julesthegrea. Show julesthegrea's posts

World's happiest places

Australia, particularly the city of Brisbane. It's an easy life, familiar to the States but the people are genuinely friendly and welcoming. Did I mention universal health care and mandatory "social security"? They know how to take care of their people.

I'd also say Auckland (or all of New Zealand) for similar reasons. The Kiwis are espcially focused on being happy and not materialism. Plus they are diehard "sport" enthusiasts.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rmjohan. Show rmjohan's posts

World's happiest places

I agree, there is no place like home - Boston. I enjoy seeing other parts of the world but am always ready to come home. Now if we could just make it warmer in winter and not so humid in summer it would be perfect.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from alain18. Show alain18's posts

World's happiest places

There are two places I go, in which it's impossible not to smile- either there or even thinking about the places: the Weston Priory, in Vermont- and- Taize, France.
    Two communities that infectiously welcome everyone, and keep people coming back for spiritual rejuvenation, fresh country air, generosity, and friendship. These are places of peace and music, and I always go forth from these places equipped to face the world (until I can return for another retreat).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rogersc31406. Show rogersc31406's posts

World's happiest places

Ah, yes. I went to college in Vermont, and our Newman Club used to make retreats at Weston Priory. A lovely, peaceful place indeed.

In fact, all of Vermont is my happy place. When I was in grad school in Boston, I used to go visit my friends there to escape the stress of the city. Just crossing the Connecticut River would make me breathe easier. I took my husband there on our second honey moon, and he agreed, Vermont is the most beautiful place in the world, and he has sailed everywhere with the Merchant Marine.

Now that I live in Georgia, it's much harder to get to New England, but I keep the happy memories of so much beauty.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from alain18. Show alain18's posts

World's happiest places

Weston Priory has been a happiness-inducing place for many, indeed!

I'm from Maine, and the State of Maine gets happier the more north you go. Being a Mainer, I'd say visit places like Belfast, Acadia National Park, Baxter State Park, Old Speck Mountain, the Saint John Valley, along the Canadian border, and Portland.

For still more bliss, visit Nova Scotia, too!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerryzm. Show gerryzm's posts

World's happiest places

Hi butchbone, I'd agree with you for the main urban and suburban areas of the country. However, there are many small rural villages with no minorities or welfare estates, no crime and which have good local communities. I live in one such village. They are diminishing, sadly. Neighbouring villages that have grossly expanded have begun to see the kind of crime familiar to us all in larger and denser locations.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from smartoyster. Show smartoyster's posts

World's happiest places

Great Island in Wellfleet. If God lives on earth, this is where it is.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pollie. Show pollie's posts

World's happiest places

for about 6-8 weeks of the year, it is not winter her. And in that period of time, I would have to choose anywhere on the outer cape. It is beautiful there, relaxing (not the ride though) and the surf can be great at the end of the summer. Other than that, we all may as well live on a glacier the rest of the year.

Sections
Shortcuts