New England's best ice cream?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from what--rukiddingme. Show what--rukiddingme's posts

Re: New England's best ice cream?

In Response to Re: New England's best ice cream?:  I could not agree more with this post below.  What were the criteria for location, made-on-premises, and ice cream vs ice milk (soft serve is not ice cream)?  Anyone who lives in greater Boston or even New England at large for more than 1 year should know that we take our ice cream very seriously.  In fact, several years ago a nationwide food survey found that we in New England consume more ice cream per capita than anywhere else in the country.  So how is that the Globe covers such a story in such a haphazard manner?  Very sad, indeed.

[QUOTE]Who are these food editors? Did they just move to the area? I am 40 years old and grew up on the Northshore going to Richardson's in Middleton. I now live out in the Worcester area but still travel the hour drive when I want AMAZING ice cream that is worth the calories. It has been considered one of the BEST ice cream places for years, and the crowds prove it. During the warmer months you can expect to wait anywhere from 20-30 minutes to get ice cream. This is the case even though there are always 10-12 windows open outside and 2-3 counters inside. At peak times the lines are each 10-12 people deep! It is open year-round and you even encounter lines in the cooler months. Of course, it is all homemade (the shop is on the outskirts of their farm) and they even sell fresh milk as well. (Not to mention the great mini-golf course, driving range, and batting cages next door.) I am so tired of these so-called "foodies" who ask local Cambridge and Brookline folks what they like and then ask the three friends they know who live out in the suburbs what they have heard of. Give me a break!
    Posted by skbd418[/QUOTE]

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tonyfc. Show tonyfc's posts

Re: New England's best ice cream? - Mad Maggie's in North Andover

While newer to the scene (3 years), they are 110% committed to deep, rich flavors with some creativity like 'Candy Store Floor'.  Their fat-free softserve ice cream is a bonus.

Their new location at Treadwell's old site appears to be doing well and open year round.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bikesurf. Show bikesurf's posts

Definately NONA'S in Hingham square! Hingham Harbor Sludge is the BEST.
    It is a mixture of fudge and chocolate.

- Isabel Allen

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nlowenstein. Show nlowenstein's posts

RANCATORE'S ICE CREAM in BELMONT and LEXINGTON.  Makes it fresh daily on premises, uses only natural ingredients and the 2 stores are full of energy and great staff. Due to their locations, they are under the radar

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ratty75. Show ratty75's posts

The Junction in Essex is the best!  Their ginger icecream... mmmmmmmmm....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RAPSAK. Show RAPSAK's posts

White Mountain Creamery in Chestnut Hill on Commonwealth Ave. has a divine chocolate ice cream flavor aptly named:Death By Chocolate.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PeterOsgood. Show PeterOsgood's posts

My vote is for Benson's in West Boxford.  They only make it in the summer and use the best natural ingrediants.  This is a 1930s style ice cream stand that hasn't changed its look one little bit since it was built in the 1930s.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rketzela. Show rketzela's posts

Of course Richardson's in Middleton - you can even hear the cows mooing out back.  That fresh ice cream.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjmcs. Show jjmcs's posts

Farfars in Duxbury.

Herrells in Cambridge

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimcondon. Show jimcondon's posts

Michael's Dairy, Montauk Ave., New London, CT--the best!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pocassetgirl. Show pocassetgirl's posts

I agree with everyone-the writer needs to get out to more places!

Somerset Creamery in Cataumet is BY FAR the best ice cream I have ever had!

and JP Licks definitely deserves to make the list.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomS6. Show TomS6's posts

My favorites:

No toppings: Toscanini's in Cambridge (best flavors)
    With toppings: Rancatore's in Belmont (best sauces and great classic ice creams)

(yes, I know the respective owners are brothers)

Emac and Bolio's comes in second for both for me.

I've tried Kimball's after hearing years of raves from devotees, but was unimpressed with the ice cream. The whole Kimball's complex was pretty impressive.

I'd love to be able to pick a best soft serve place, but the soft serve experience for me is always more colored by other things like baseball or going for a swim at a favorite spot. Arnold's in Eastham is a family favorite for soft serve with dip.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrsrfromcolorado. Show mrsrfromcolorado's posts

In Response to New England's best ice cream?:
    JayGees in Methuen!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cupcakejam. Show cupcakejam's posts

In response to Globe Magazine's top 10 Greater Boston ice cream places.... Dairy Joy? Are you serious? It's a local institution and I must have gone there a million times since I was a kid, but lets not delude ourselves....the ice cream is really not that great. Though the optional chocolate shell dunk is nice, people around here only go there because it is close and its ours. 

The places that should have gotten top billing over Dairy Joy...
    1. Ericsons in Maynard - maybe a bit far out to be considered 'Greater Boston', but my family makes the trip out there anyway because it is amazing. They even have 'doggy ice cream" - a small plate of scrap ice cream with a dog biscuit on top. Our dog literally knows the word "Ericsons" and runs to the car when we say it!

2. J P Licks -JP, Newton, Boston, Brookline

3. White Mountain Creamery - Wellesley, Newton

4. no longer open, but worthy of rememberance... The Ice Cream Club (the one from wellesley/newton lower falls, not the other newton one- that one has icy chuncks in it and is owned by someone else) - Formerly the best frappes in Greater Boston, and that's really saying something...

5. Truly's Yogurt

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from cupcakejam. Show cupcakejam's posts

In Response to Re: New England's best ice cream?:
    [QUOTE]In response to Globe Magazine's top 10 Greater Boston ice cream places.... Dairy Joy? Are you serious? It's a local institution and I must have gone there a million times since I was a kid, but lets not delude ourselves....the ice cream is really not that grea t. Though the optional chocolate shell dunk is nice, people around here only go there because it is close and its ours.  The places that should have gotten top billing over Dairy Joy... 1. Ericsons in Maynard - maybe a bit far out to be considered 'Greater Boston', but my family makes the trip out there anyway because it is amazing. They even have 'doggy ice cream" - a small plate of scrap ice cream with a dog biscuit on top. Our dog literally knows the word "Ericsons" and runs to the car when we say it! 2. J P Licks -JP, Newton, Boston, Brookline 3. White Mountain Creamery - Wellesley, Newton 4. no longer open, but worthy of rememberance... The Ice Cream Club (the one from wellesley/newton lower falls, not the other newton one- that one has icy chuncks in it and is owned by someone else) - Formerly the best frappes in Greater Boston, and that's really saying something... 5. Truly's Yogurt
    Posted by cupcakejam[/QUOTE]

Oops, also forgot to mention....there is this place in...somewhere beyond milton, though I think it is technically in mattapan.....i don't even know the name, but they mix in the toppings manually with spatula things (no machines here like the place in Kenmore Square) so every bite has your favorite add ons mixed in. Kimball's farm is also good. Went there once with my brother and we had the biggest laugh watching these kids chase after this chicken while we ate our ice cream. You had to be there, but it was great...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsMerryll. Show MsMerryll's posts

Martell's Ice Cream on Route 1 in Saco, Maine. Mr Martell makes the best ice cream I have ever tasted..hands down!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgiuffrida. Show rgiuffrida's posts

Jay Gee's Homemade Ice Cream in Methuen Ma! Their PeanutButter Fixx Ice Cream Is Awesome  so Is their Chocolate Raspberry Truffle. Go There!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from albp14t. Show albp14t's posts

Richardson's Dariy on Rte 114 in Middleton has the best Ice Cream without a doubt!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1184824. Show user_1184824's posts

Hilliards in Canton!  Unbelievable jimmies too, all different kinds, all homemade!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Ashley's in New Haven CT.  Coffee Oreo is amazing!  Also, the BEST ice cream cakes

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rcamara. Show rcamara's posts

Somerset Creamery in southeastern MA has the best ice cream in the New England.  They've been making it themselves for 30+ years, and are only open seasonally.  It's a competition among friends to see who can be the first, and last, to get there every year!  Also has a newer store on the Cape.

Think outside the greater Boston box - no wonder the 3rd highest ranking in the poll is "Other!"

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cherniahivsky. Show Cherniahivsky's posts

In Response to New England's best ice cream?:
    [QUOTE]We shared 20 of our favorites and now we want to hear from you. What is your favorite ice cream locale in New England?
    Posted by BDCTravelStaff[/QUOTE]
    Absolutely 100% Rancatore's in Belmont. Always worth the effort to get there! Yummmmmmmmmm.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from isaacjacob2. Show isaacjacob2's posts

By far, the best ice cream is HODGIES!!!  It's located in Amesbury and Salisbury, Massachusetts.  Their butter crunch is to die for!!  :)

Rose G.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from teezee. Show teezee's posts

soco creamery in great barrington.  try their strawberry rhubarb or summer peach.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Andydest. Show Andydest's posts

In Response to Re: New England's best ice cream?:
    [QUOTE]Meletharb's in Wakefield, MA is the very best homemade ice cream with fresh ingredients and ever-changing flavors, fun atmosphere, friendly staff. Brown's in York, Maine is a close second.
    Posted by Ali29[/QUOTE] I went to this place today and while it's ok it's not even close to Kimballs