What are your favorite New England clam shacks?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dchemi31. Show dchemi31's posts

Re: What are your favorite New England clam shacks?

Hidden Jem: Ronnie's in Charlton. Best clam fritters around!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sjc52. Show sjc52's posts

Hands Down!  Gene's Lobster Shack in Fairhaven, MA.  Been there forever and you get delicious, healthy protions done properly.  The oil they use is always clean.
    Yummy!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TP1975. Show TP1975's posts

You can not beat these spots!!!!!!!

Belle Isle - East Boston (Lobster Roll)
    Browns - Seabrook, NH - (Whole Lobster)
    J'S Oyster - Portland, ME (Twin Lobster Dinner and Oysters)
    Barnacle Billys - Ogunquit, ME (Lobster Roll and Chowder)
    Neptune Oyster - North End (Fried Clams and Lobster Roll)
    Beachcomber (The Comah) - Wellfleet (Lobster Roll and Oysters)
    Clam Shack - Kennbunkport, ME (Fried Clams and Lobster Roll)
    Macs Shack - Wellfleet Harbor, MA (Sushi and Oysters)
    Red's Eats - Wiscasset, ME (Lobster Roll)
    Galley Beach - Nantucket (Poached Lobster)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from comeaution22. Show comeaution22's posts

There is definitely do discussion. If the Globe doesn't mention the Clam Shack in Kennebunkport, I can't stand behind this list. By far, the Clam Shack's clams are the best in the country, let alone New England.

CLAM SHACK FOR THE WIN!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from gcwnsw. Show gcwnsw's posts

Haddads Ocean Cafe' in Brant rock by a MILE

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountain1947. Show mountain1947's posts

We are huge fans of the Haraseeket Lunch & Lobster in S. Freeport and we have sampled the giant lobster roll at Red's Eats in Wiscasset. The only negative about living in VT for me is that we have no ocean front. Gotta travel to get good seafood.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Frank101. Show Frank101's posts

Great list, but you missed Conrad's Clams on Rt. 2A in Lunenburg, MA. They've been there for about seven decades.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from farmatty. Show farmatty's posts

Mac's on the pier, Wellfleet.  The clams melt in your mouth.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bpal2. Show Bpal2's posts

The Clam Shack - On The Bridge, Kennebunkport Maine

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from AnnaElsie. Show AnnaElsie's posts

Clam Box Rte 1A Ipswich...they are the best by far...others have tried for years, decades to match these fried clams, but they just can't do it!...The line can snake around the building in a 35-40 minute wait...so here is the trick: call in a take out order on your phone and pick it up through the side door in 20 minutes!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from swmktr. Show swmktr's posts

Gene's in Fairhaven is as good as any I have had

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jane53. Show Jane53's posts

After eating at many, many clam shack type places on the south shore, north shore and Rhode Island, I have to say Farnhams in Ipswitch is tough to beat! They have some of the best fried clams, scallops and onion rings around! I must add that Little Wing in Foxboro is also a stand out and has great fried clams and scallops as well. The place is very decieving and not well know to "out of towners" but the fried seafood is well know with it's regulars and has also been featured on channel 5's Cronicle. I have eaten there many times and never been let down. Fresh, sweet, tender clams and scallops is key, as well as what each place uses to coat them and how clean the oil is they fry them in. You can always tell by the look and taste if thats being changed often enough so that it doesn't spoil the flavor of fresh seafood. The Clam Shack in Ipswich is good too but it can't beat Farnhams! If you haven't tried on of these places, you must, before the summer is over! You won't be sorry and you'll certainly be back!

Jane

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrunoWoohoo. Show BrunoWoohoo's posts

In Response to What are your favorite New England clam shacks?:
    [QUOTE]The Clam shack in falmouth is Great, The Red Wing in foxboro is also great..the best stuff quahogs of all time are in falmouth the store use to be at Green Pond marina but they moved next Family Food on Rte 28.
    Posted by leotg[/QUOTE]

I used to LOVE going to the place by the Green Pond Marina for my stuffies - best EVER!!! And I always thought it was funny that I could get my bait under the same roof!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jane53. Show Jane53's posts

Also wanted to mention, as far as lobster goes....I still think its best to buy your own, live, and cook it yourself. Dipping in fresh melted butter is the only way to eat it. Some places charge way too much and serve clarified butter ( they remove all the tasty burning qualities) with it. That to me is like dipping lobster in oil....gross! and I know when I buy it and cook it myself that its fresh. Not so sure about some places I have had it out. I have a rule at this point to never get it out....never!

Rhode Island clam chowder ( no crem or milk in this type) is one chowder that I can't stand. Its like eating a bowl of the ocean only hot. Yuck......please add the cream and other goodies and have it New Enland style!  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LMEARIAN. Show LMEARIAN's posts

Why is it every time this list comes out, and it's a pretty decent list, it fails to include Seafood Sams. I've yet to find a clam shack that compares to Seafood Sams on Cape Cod in terms of freshness and price. Please Boston Globe, send your food editor to Seafood Sams and find out for yourself what I'm talking about.

They have locations in Falmouth, Sandwich and Yarmouth.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejaneomahs. Show thejaneomahs's posts

You have to make the trip to Biddeford Pool, ME to try Goldthwaite's... it's a hidden gem that will amaze you!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrunoWoohoo. Show BrunoWoohoo's posts

The Globe's list lost me when I saw Cooke's was mentioned. Unless you are a newbie tourist who wouldn't know a fried clam from a lobster tail, then this overpriced, sterile, soulless trap is to be avoided at all costs... Evelyn's is similarly awful, but at least the location is good...

Fortunately, the list does serve up winners such as Falmouth's Clam Shack, Farnham's, and the Clambox...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bitwise. Show Bitwise's posts

Farnham's in Essex I think is way better than Woodmans and The Clam Box which both are way overrated.  Ipswich Clambake is also very good. Batter is not too heavy.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwconn. Show cwconn's posts

Bob Lobster, Plum Island

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from gotham77. Show gotham77's posts

I've always been a huge fan for PJ's on Rt. 6 in Wellfleet. It's a classic example of the "Cape Cod roadside seafood stand," with perhaps the best clam roll in the universe...and amazing ice cream, too. Disappointed it's not here, but they could have easily filled the entire list with just Cape Cod locations...I guess they had to make room for some businesses elsewhere in New England.

HOWEVER, I think you've done readers a real disservice by not mentioning that Mac's (of "Mac's Shack") has other locations where you DO get the paper plates and plasticware.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from gotham77. Show gotham77's posts

Does anyone remember the old South Wellfleet Clam Shack?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from krafter. Show krafter's posts

In Response to What are your favorite New England clam shacks?:
    [QUOTE]Who has the best fried clams? Stuffies or clam cakes? Do you like your chowder red, white, or clear? Where are the best clam shacks on the North Shore, South Shore, Cape, New Hampshire, and Rhode Island?
    Posted by BDCTravelStaff[/QUOTE]

How about Bob's Lobster on Plum Island?
    The best fried clams go to the Park Lunch in Newburyport, hands down.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckylindy. Show luckylindy's posts

The Hingham Lobster Pound on Rte. 3A (4 Cove Rod (the bend), has the best fried clams in the world!! Anytime I order them somewhere else they are never quite as good.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikec11hA. Show mikec11hA's posts

Warren's Lobster House, Rt. 1, Kittery, Maine AND Brown's Lobster Pound, Seabrook, NH