What are your favorite New England clam shacks?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moody818. Show moody818's posts

Re: What are your favorite New England clam shacks?

Just one more thought,

Cooks Lobster House on Baily Island, Maine is in a beautiful locaton looking out on the famous Cribstone Bridge an although the food was good it was way overpriced.  I was there in the Summer of 2008 and if memory serves me correctly the boiled lobster dinners started at more that $50 and went up to almost $100.  Good lobster can be had just about anywhere for a lot less than that.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rufus. Show Rufus's posts

The Clam Shack in Falmouth is very good

Avoid Evelyn's in Tiverton - Big prices, small portions, and lousy service. You are paying for the view. Period.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GregRod87. Show GregRod87's posts

Ok....for Clam Chowder, Fried Claims down the Cape?.....Captain Parkers Pub.

South of Boston.... Franks in Brockton.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moody818. Show moody818's posts

Ken's and Bailey's in Scarborough, Maine are both overrated.  For anyone that thinks they are good I would suggest that they try Bob's Clam Hut in Kittery or the Arundel Seafood Center in Arundel.  Both are much better than either of the two in Scarborough.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GregRod87. Show GregRod87's posts

Clam Box in Quincy...yes another good one...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from humarocknancy. Show humarocknancy's posts

I love so many places on the list.  But The Lobster Pound in Hingham was omitted.  It's a take-out place, and the food is fabulous!  Their fried scallops are to die for!  And they have banana fritters which are awesome.  If you want to cook your own, they have a great fish market.  Something for everyone!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tomen8r. Show Tomen8r's posts

I grew up on Cape Cod.  I have lived on the North Shore.  And I spend my summer weekends on the Maine coast.  I have been to most of the clams shacks mentioned.  One, however, was overlooked.  And that is Captain Hooks on Route 1 in Wells, Maine.  I spend many dollars there during the summer....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moody818. Show moody818's posts

Unfortunately, the best Clam Shack place closed down many years ago.  It was called "El's" and was on Route 1 in York, Maine.  Anyone who knows about it would probably agree with me but you would probably have had to have been born not later than the mid-1960's to have any chance of remembering it.  The tiny building that they used to operate out of still exists and the property which includes an old farm house has been for sale for as long as I can remember.  At some point, they decided to drop the clam shack approach and they built a larger restaurant which never did well (this is now the Elks Lodge in York).  They should have stuck with the clam shack...

When I was a kid we would always stop there for fried clams after going to York Beach for the day or on our way home from somewhere further up the Maine coast.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from boston1950. Show boston1950's posts

Woodman's Essex, MA is overrated.  The media is always in love with this place.  In Essex, go to Farnham's.  We like Clam Haven in Derry, NH.  The famous Clam Box in Ipswich is excellent but as Yogi Berra says "It's so crowded, nobody goes there."

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from s1hrh. Show s1hrh's posts

The Lobster Pot in PTown! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SusanF. Show SusanF's posts

Marathon Seafood in West Dennis is MUCH better than Kreme N Kone.  No comparison.  The best fried clams and onion rings anywhere.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from twoscoops207. Show twoscoops207's posts

On the town dock in Castine,  Maine, The Breeze is hard to beat for their fried clams; the hand-cut beer battered onions rings are a treat too!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from aquinnah1. Show aquinnah1's posts

The Bite, Menemsha, Martha's Vineyard

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from szammito. Show szammito's posts

You know something guys, this ISNT a valid or serious discussion without the Lobster Hut in Plymouth being somewhere in the top 10. You guys are just wasting your time here.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhmcl. Show mhmcl's posts

Baxter's Boat House in Hyannis.  Why Baxter's is never discussed or rated in the annual clam shack report is beyond me.  I've been to at least half of the clam shacks on this list, and Baxter's fried clams beats them all !

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MimiME. Show MimiME's posts

The Dolphin Marina in Harpswell, Maine. It's not a "clam shack" per se, but along with other seafood options, they make the best fish chowder, served with a blueberry muffin,  in the world -let alone New England!  Well worth the trip down the peninsula!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhmcl. Show mhmcl's posts

In Response to Re: What are your favorite New England clam shacks?:
    In Response to What are your favorite New England clam shacks? : What about Baxter's in Hyannis? How did that place not make the list?
    Posted by jnsigel

I couldn't agree more.  Baxter's is the best

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkmassie. Show rkmassie's posts

I am surprised you left off Eaton's Lobster Pool in Little Deer Isle, Maine.   Great food, incredible setting - focuses on lobster but also has excellent clams and other seafood

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sabischman. Show sabischman's posts

1) Nate's Place in Rockport
    2) Nate's Place in Rockport
    3) Nate's Place in Rockport
    4) Nate's Place in Rockport
    5-10 Nate's Place in Rockport

Put's all other to shame for fried clams, seafood, etc.....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from gcwnsw. Show gcwnsw's posts

Haddad's Ocean Cafe' in MarshVegas can kick the a** of all of these places.
    The best anywhere and not a 'tourist trap' like Woodman's(I like Woodman's and that is a compliment)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from atteckus. Show atteckus's posts

Jerry's Seafood on Route 28 in West Yarmouth was fantastic 5 years ago.  Better clams than Woodman's or Arnold's.  They had the absolute best lobster roll of all time - sauteed in drawn butter, not slopped with mayo.  Sadly, I haven't been there in years and I hear it has changed owners since.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mainepower. Show mainepower's posts

You missed Cods End in Tennents Harbor Maine. I've lived in Mass, NH and now MAine. This is the best for quality and quanity. Check it out.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyville. Show mikeyville's posts

How about Kelly's Landing? Moved from Southy to Fort Lauderdale years ago!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from padi176715. Show padi176715's posts

Markeys, Seabrook, NH

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgrtony. Show mgrtony's posts

Red Wing Diner in Walpole! Awesome.
    Lobster Hut (Brockton, Plymouth)
    Sandy's in Bourne
    McGrath's Seafood Grille in Plymouth