What are your favorite New England clam shacks?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bradyrules. Show bradyrules's posts

Kelly's  on Revere beach .  The best tartar sauce anywhere ! Large bellies fresh batter the smell of the sea can't be beat.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1244128. Show user_1244128's posts

I have to agree on the Woodman's comment. Grew up in Essex, knew the Woodmans, good family and all but if you're in Essex/Ipswich area I'd have to say either Farnham's or the Clambox...

The Bite in Menemsha. Grab a beach blanket, a frosty cold six pack, a box of clams  and head to the beach to watch the best sunset in New England.

For you mainlanders, Woodman's might be the most overrated place ever. Clambox is much better, No one from Essex goes to Woodmans.

[/Quote]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1244128. Show user_1244128's posts

Used to live in Salem and worked near Dube's (GTE). The clams are excellent, same for Dottie & Rays's, didn't know they were still there. I'll have to go back and get some soon!

Unquestionably, Dube's in Salem.  A close runner up is Dot & Ray's on North Street in Salem.  Prices are unbeatable at Dot & Ray's.

[/Quote]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hungry1. Show hungry1's posts

My four favorites...
    essex seafood
    bell isl winthrop
    dairy joy weston
    woodmans
    there are many other good ones too however, each place has something better than others
    for example.. woodmans has the best onion rings and fried lobster.
    essex seafood has great fried calms and fried lobster.
    bellisl. lobster roll cant be beat, 1/2 lb roll and comes with ff or rings 16.99 wow. If you got the roll at woodmans it would be 22 bucks and no side included
    Daily joy clams are the best in my opinion..  a bit pricey but worth the quality.
    bottom line.  there all good, no place is the best, to say so is foolish

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from anthonya1962. Show anthonya1962's posts

The Best Clam Shack anywhere is Scampi's Seafood in Tewksbury. They still hand cut,hand batter and bread their onion rings. Their cole slaw is homemade as is their tartar sauce. Located on route 38 in Tewksbury. Great fried clams and clam strips and their prices can't be beaten. They also offer numerous "non-seafood" dishes for anyone that does not care for seafood.It is under new ownership and the new owners have increased their portions,but kept their prices very reasonable and have done a great job at improving everything.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from adagio52. Show adagio52's posts

Woodman's is over rated and over priced.
    Clam Box is best.
    HoJos was good...bring it back!
    If I ordered Clam Chowder, and the waiter brought me any color but white, I'd send it back.
    There's no such thing as stuffies, except when you got a code in da dose.
    They're called baked stuffed clams.
    Any recommendations for steamers?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from adagio52. Show adagio52's posts

Also, Red Tide's back so be sure to ask for bivalves' home address.
    I'd be skeptical if they're local. PSP is deadly.
    Maryland clams aren't worth it. You're better off with crab.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from employee8. Show employee8's posts

My ex's.  I could eat her clams all day.   Seriously Flo's in RI.  I am sure all mentioned are good though.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from thecolonel. Show thecolonel's posts

Sad note to Greenhaigh1000 in regards to McCrays (which you noted was originally in Westport MA, and resurfaced 20 years later in Tiverton RI). I went by there last week, and they were obviously closed for good! :-(  I am old enough to remember the original McCrays, which was literally a shack, and being able to eat them again 20 years later was beyond phenomonal!

We live near Flo's in Newport (and Portsmouth), and yes, those are VERY good. Actually, one day a week, the Middletown RI VFW serves great fried clams! There are so many places in Southeastern New England (especially New Bedford) that serve truly excellent fried clams. I'm originally from here, but I traveled in the military for 22 years, and THOSE are what I missed the most (coffee milk a close second).

Lastly, to Adagio52, down here in New B, they are called "Stuffed Quohogs" because quohogs, NOT the smaller clams, are used to make them!  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dani273. Show Dani273's posts

I love the Seafood Shanty. It is in Bourne, directly across from the Cape Cod Canal and the herring run. It is a little tiny place, but it is fabulous....and thier LOBSTER ROLLS ARE TO DIE FOR!!!! Best I've had on the Cape EVER!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1782561. Show user_1782561's posts

Tony's on Wollaston Beach in Quincy, MA.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from netsurfer33. Show netsurfer33's posts

Bill's Seafood in Westbrook, CT has great clams, softshell crab sandwiches and  the  BEST hot lobster rolls (something I've not been able to find outside of CT).

In RI I'm a fan of George's of Galilee  (same street as the Block Island Ferry) is well known and well worth it.

In MA, Clem & Ursie's in Provincetown has a lot to offer although they're pretty pricey.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bookgirl33. Show bookgirl33's posts

Stowe's Fish in West Haven, CT.  Fresh, fast and reasonable.  Great Lobster rolls and the best fried oysters.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from devinja. Show devinja's posts

Come on people! I can't believe no one mentioned Tony's Clam Shop or the Clam Box in Quincy MA. both on Quincy shore drive. Take your pick they're both great.....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from devinja. Show devinja's posts

[Quote]My ex's.  I could eat her clams all day.   Seriously Flo's in RI.  I am sure all mentioned are good though.[/Quote]

NICE!! I'll have a side of your ex's.....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sfnick. Show sfnick's posts

best fried clams:

Mojo's P-town

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonian8378. Show bostonian8378's posts

[Quote]Lobster shack at Two lights  Cape Elizabeth Maine[/Quote]

Couldn't agree more!  And with the picnic tables on the rocks the view cannot be beat by any place else.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from steveareno. Show steveareno's posts

Not a clam shack, per se, but Tasty Treat on Rte. 135 in Ashland has the best fried clams in MetroWest...ditto for their onion rings...light batter, non-greasy...YUM!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rphamel. Show rphamel's posts

Ceal's in Seabrook Beach, NH needs to be part of the conversation for a classic old time clam shack!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB1634. Show JB1634's posts

I like Bailey's in Scarborough, ME on the way to Pine Point Beach. Prices are good and great fried seafood and the best crabmeat sandwich ever!

Tony's Clam Shop in Wollaston is great too.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1313001. Show user_1313001's posts

From my experience, having been born and raised on the North Shore, for consistently great seafood, large portions and reasonable prices(?), The Clam Box in Ipswich is the best followed closely by Woodmans in Essex.  However, don't go to either place if you are in a hurry - neither place is a well-kept secret!  Tom Fish

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1313001. Show user_1313001's posts

Away from the NH coast, in the Lakes Region, you might try Sawyer's Dairy Bar in Gilford for excellent seafood and FAST service!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sallyholmes. Show sallyholmes's posts

All listed in feature article are good, but here are a couple more --

(1) Lobster Trap near Monument Beach, MA

(2) Bites in Mnemsha, the Vineyard -- the very best!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gary135r. Show Gary135r's posts

Where's the love for the Clam Shack in Kennebunkport? Twice as good as Bob's Clam Hut.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfguinan. Show dfguinan's posts

If you ever get to Kennebunkport Maine, go to The Clam Shack. The best I ever had. I live in the Berkshires and it's worth the 4 hour drive for their fried clams. They use only one supplier exclusively to ensure quality. They are to die for!