What are your favorite New England clam shacks?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eli-from-New-Orleans. Show Eli-from-New-Orleans's posts

Re: What are your favorite New England clam shacks?

As someone who grew up in Gloucester, married a girl from New Bedford and now lives in Louisiana. The Oxford Creamery at 98 County Rd in Mattapoisett, MA is the first place I go to every summer when back in New England.  I often stop on the way from the airport. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sjc52. Show sjc52's posts

Gene's Lobster Shack in Fairhaven, MA -- been going there for over 40 years.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hungry1. Show hungry1's posts

I have been to Woodman's, Calm Box, Farnums, and a few others not mentioned, but my vote goes to Essex Seafood.
    All the places are great, some have better items than others, I like Woodman's Onion rings best, but the fried lobster at Essex is
    unbelievable.
    And another not mentioned place that has some of the best fried clams I have eaten is dairy Joy in Weston Ma on Rt. 20

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from noodlehaid. Show noodlehaid's posts

Thurston's Lobster Pound in Bar Harbor is plenty good. Nice brews, blueberry (and peach?) cobbler, too.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jacoby-Ellsbury. Show Jacoby-Ellsbury's posts

Love Markey's!  Gotta go there every year after a day at Hampton Beach.

In Response to Re: What are your favorite New England clam shacks?:
    [QUOTE]You missed two important spots on the New Hampshire seacoast: Markey's right across the street from Brown's on Rte 286 on the Seabrook, NH / Salisbury, MA line. They are equally good! Also you forgot Petey's Seafood, just up Rte 1A in Rye, NH from Ray's. They stay open later in the year, and open earlier than Ray's. Gary in NH
    Posted by randomblitzr[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cthomps6. Show cthomps6's posts

The Raw Bar - Mashpee & Hyannis MA! BEST Lobster Roll, Clam Chowder and Clam Strips around!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDorr. Show BDorr's posts

You forgot a GREAT ONE down the Cape in Dennisport, MA

Chapin's Fish & Chips and Beach Bar

228 Lower County Road
    Dennisport MA 02639

http://www.chapinsbeachbar.com/Home.aspx

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1237575620#!/chapinsfishandchips?sk=info

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mariedot. Show mariedot's posts

The best fried clams I've ever had came from Royal Roast Beef in Stoneham on Main Street.  (And I've spent years making the requisite visits to Woodman's.)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from presto12. Show presto12's posts

I guess I'm in the minority...I can't stand Woodman's!  I think they are horribly overpriced, and they aren't worth the long wait on any given weekend during the summer.  I would rather buy/cook my own.  When I used to live on the North Shore, we used to go to The Clam Box in Ipswich - much better!

What about Markey's or Browns?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from runnerj2584. Show runnerj2584's posts

Green Harbor Lobster Pound. Their Lobster Rolls are the best & all the fried seafood is fresh! You can also purchase fresh lobsters to take home, if you call in your order ahead they will steam them for you!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from itzmikey. Show itzmikey's posts

Billy's Roast Beef on Main St in Melrose!!!!  The mix has great flavor, the oil is ALWAYS clean and the portions are most generous.  Whenever I want fried clams, it's Billy's!!!

Give it a try and you'll be a convert, too.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from itzmikey. Show itzmikey's posts

For the old timers out there, there used to be a place in Day Square in east Boston called Lindy's.  It had the best fried seafood within miles.  Too bad it's not around now.  It would be the rave of this blog.  Oh well, nothing lasts forever!!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from brendansullivan. Show brendansullivan's posts

I'd probably rate the Lobster Trap in Bourne over the Clam Shack in Falmouth, but if I can get off topic, I would forfeit either one for a lobster roll at the Raw Bar in Mashpee.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from AhoyPoli. Show AhoyPoli's posts

The Bite in Menemsha for clams then watch sunset over nantucket sound on beach. Also the raw bar in new seabury biggest & best lobster rolls in New England.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TekMan. Show TekMan's posts

What about Nunan's Near Kennebunkport ME

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from portofboston. Show portofboston's posts

hands down - the clam shack, kennebunkport, me

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from GBOS07. Show GBOS07's posts

Fresh Pond Seafood in Arlington MA. Just re-opened, great fried clams!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrMittens. Show MrMittens's posts

The Clam Box, in Quincy MA

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yakuza. Show Yakuza's posts

I just went to Eastwind Lobster in Buzzards Bay, MA, for the first time last weekend.  It was as good as Woodman's or Farnham's.  It had the freshest fried seafood platters and ample, shaded outdoor seating overlooking the marina.  It was outstanding.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from AustinTXSoxFan. Show AustinTXSoxFan's posts

belle isle seafood....that little shack next to the winthrop bridge in boston....has the BEST lobstah rolls on the planet.  I have been to quite a few places on this list, but my vote goes to BIS.  I now live in texas but whenever I visit boston I always indulge.  best $15 money can buy!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mziegler766. Show mziegler766's posts

My favorite is Jake's at Nantasket Beach - wonderful lobster dinner, superb lobster bisque, great clams and fish, and a table overlooking the inlet, then a short walk across the road to the historic carousel and the beach.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LionJane. Show LionJane's posts

In Response to What are your favorite New England clam shacks?:
    [QUOTE]Is Macintyres still around?   Thought it was in North Andover or Georgetown.
    Posted by geosch[/QUOTE]

MacIntyre's was in Rowley and closed several years ago.  A bank is located there now.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RALavoie1981. Show RALavoie1981's posts

I once drove from Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point, NC ( I was in the Marine Corps at the time) just to go get some food from Kelly's Roast Beef in Saugus. It was worth the 11 hour drive. And I would do it again, and again.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LionJane. Show LionJane's posts

We like Ipswich Clambake Company in Ipswich, which has great clams, fresh fish, award winning chowder (clam, fish and seafood) and everything else is delicious too!  The cocktail shrimp that are already cooked are like candy they are so sweet.  No lines like some other places and the folks are always friendly.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyu. Show mikeyu's posts

Globe staff is a bunch of idiots. The best place for both Roast beef and fried clams is Royals Roast Beef in Stoneham....the fact that you don't have it on here is both stupid and shows a complete lack of credibility on the subject. How about taking some of the cash from globe sales (if there are any) and go buy a clue.

Sections
Shortcuts