What are your favorite New England clam shacks?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from carpet3. Show carpet3's posts

I am a fried clam fanatic and have been to almost all of the places that you listed and they are all pretty good. None of them can compare to John's in Provincetown,however. John's has the best fried clams and the best foot longs ! I travel all the way to Ptown once every summer just to go to John's.Once,I stayed in Ptown for 3 days and had lunch and dinner at John's every day!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bozo914. Show bozo914's posts

Tony's on Wollston Beach-great food excellant clams
    Edgartown Fish Market small sweet and juicy.Clam roll is a great value.,

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bcwjr. Show bcwjr's posts

Sandy's in Buzzards Bay, on the Canal has been our family's favorite for over 50 years. The Clam Box in Essex is a close second.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from elcubunda2. Show elcubunda2's posts

You already have it there as #4:
    Arnold's Lobster & Clam Bar
    Route 6
    Eastham, MA!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pk02351. Show pk02351's posts

Hingham Lobster Pound has the best fried clams.  Nothing comes close.  Going there today for some.  Tony's and Clam Box are good, but Hingham is in a league of their own.

My mom makes the best clam cakes.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DonnaC. Show DonnaC's posts

The Bite . . . Menemsha . . . On the Vineyard
    THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsDJ. Show MsDJ's posts

Essex is the worlds clam capital.
    Farnhams is funky, Woodmans is inconsistent
    Other places we like: THe shack in Falmputh has the best view,
    Captain Frosty in Dennis used to draw great crowds. Lenas in Salisbury, just off 95 is one of the best anywhere.
    iF you cant get out if the city, Andros in Belmont has a perfect hand at the friolaotir.
    The kettles used in most places were originally made in Lynn.
    And if you are calory concious, steamers are at least as good

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from weedfam. Show weedfam's posts

Iggy's in Warwick, RI.  Recently renovated, but still the same great food.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsDJ. Show MsDJ's posts

MacIntyres is on Rowley at Rtes 1/133
    The Agawam Diner areoun the corner used to be excellent also.
    In Kennebunport there a place near the bridge that makes great clams, but the autographed pics of Bushies take away the taste.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bcw. Show bcw's posts

BGs Boathouse in Portsmouth, New Hampshire191 Wentworth RoadPortsmouth, NH 03801(603) 431-1074Clam bellies were flavorful & perfectly seasoned. Everything fresh including crisp salads. Fantastic view. Charming & rustic to see folks actually pull up a boat to the pier and come in to eat!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from micandreu. Show micandreu's posts

Have been out of NE for over 14 years, yet back in the day it was Markie's or Brown's in Seabrook, NH. The other is McIntyres on Old Rt. 1. It may have changed names... Its been years.... Those are my picks from North Carolina... Hope to be home for the first time in 9 years, after my parents... Seafood is next... By the way, Southerners are clueless about Haddock and Scrod....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DanielChristian. Show DanielChristian's posts

My favorite is the Lobster Shack in Cape Elizabeth, ME. Located on the rocky coast, one can eat indoors or outdoors and enjoy an incredible view of the ocean. And the fried clams are the best!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DanielChristian. Show DanielChristian's posts

My favorite is the Lobster Shack in Cape Elizabeth, ME. Located on the rocky coast, one can eat indoors or outdoors and enjoy an incredible view of the ocean. And the fried clams are the best!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from xcapecod83. Show xcapecod83's posts

Moby Dick's in Wellfleet.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Barbavanti. Show Barbavanti's posts

It's too bad that Central Ma doesn't get any attention...the Clam Box in Brookfield on Rt 9 is a favorite with amazing fresh seafood and lots of it for a reasonable price!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from edanjou. Show edanjou's posts

Brown's has the best Seafood.  
    Seabrook MA

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lendumas. Show lendumas's posts

I don't travel from Phoenix to eat fried clams any where other than the Blue Marlin in Essex.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hhogan. Show hhogan's posts

[Quote]A find - Ronnie's in Auburn.[/Quote]

• I didn't know Ronnie's was still open; used to go there in the 60s..
    • Also, STOP with the red soup questions.  I know you are trying to be politically correct as you are owned by the New York Times, but Chowdah by definitiion is white!!!!!
    • I used to go to Arnold's in Eastham when it was Gertrude's Beach Box and it was great then.  Just a window (as God intended) and some picnic tables under the trees, but man the clams were great!!!!
    • There used to be a little take out only window in Edgartown at the Chappaquiddock Ferry landing that was great.
    There are so many great Clam Shack's in New England that I have to laugh when the Ipswitch/Essex gang starts argueing about which one of theirs is better, I have to laugh....Just enjoy!!!!!!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2Castlerock. Show 2Castlerock's posts

Don't tell anyone but...The Ipswich Clambake Company, is the best place for clams. I haven't been to the Clambox for two years...I laugh as I drive by and see people in line waiting for the albeit fine clams, but the rest of the meal is weak, frozen fries, etc, let alone the cash only policy (is it still in effect?).

The Clambake Co. has hand cut fries, equisite rings and in additon to the requisite coleslaw, has a fantastic cucumber salad. But please, don't tell anyone.....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jenika. Show jenika's posts

The secret to The Clam Box is that they do just that: they change the oil regularly.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from patgood. Show patgood's posts

Sesuit Harbor Cafe in East Dennis on the Cape. I've tried many clam shacks and this place tops them all for me for fried whole belly clams. Honorable mention goes to Federal Jacks in Kennebunkport ME - not exactly a clam shack - a brew pub actually, but really good fried whole belly clams.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tracejt. Show tracejt's posts

Nickerson's in Chatham. The best ever, I can't eat anywhere else without being dissapointed

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 25ings1cab. Show 25ings1cab's posts

Barnacle in Marblehead best seafood chowder in New England and yes white with those great crackers

Dubes in Salem for the clams

Woodmans is also good for me down here in Fla because they ship a great bake

Essex seafood rounds out the 3 choices for the Crooks family

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ericdee15. Show ericdee15's posts

markys in seabrook new  hampshire is fantastik. the fried clam and scollop plate is amazing. the steamers are big and flavorfull

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ericdee15. Show ericdee15's posts

markys in seabrook new  hampshire is fantastik. the fried clam and scollop plate is amazing. the steamers are big and flavorfull

Sections
Shortcuts