What do you love about New England?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCTravelStaff. Show BDCTravelStaff's posts

What do you love about New England?

With Valentine's Day just a few weeks away, we want to know what you love most about New England. Is it the four, distinct seasons? The sandy dunes of Cape Cod? The tranquility of the mountains?

Post your responses here. We'll compile them and include them in a Valentine's Day card to New England. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PeteGuy. Show PeteGuy's posts

Re: What do you love about New England?

Brett Farve of course!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mastermou. Show Mastermou's posts

I love the variety of trees, the sea shore and mountains close to each other, the seasons, the spring flowers, the beautiful old buildings, town commons, antinquing, the can-do spirit, the granite curbs, not just counters, Boston, the Berkshires, coastal Maine, fresh seafood and yankee practicality & thrift.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bloo1128. Show Bloo1128's posts

What I love about New England is the fact that I can go to so many places for a day trip. I grew up in Miami, FL and it does not matter which way you go, you don't have the luxury we have in New England to visit different states within a four hour range.

I'm an outdoor girl; my favorite places in New England are the Vineyard and NYC.
    I love one day trips, I have gone to Burlington, VT for lunch, and walk around Lake Champlain…It’s awesome!   In the summer time I visit the Vineyard as many times as I can and I go down to NYC frequently to party with my friends. 

I LOVE NEW ENGLAND!! Smile

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maroots. Show maroots's posts

The seacoast, from Maine to the Cape. Fresh, reasonably priced seafood. Drives down long, winding country roads. The smell of crisp, fall days. Courtland apples. Dunkin Donuts.
    I live in Denver now and can't get any of these and miss them a lot :(

To Bloo1128: FYI, NYC is not part of New England....

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gnatt1980. Show Gnatt1980's posts

Marriage Equality. I am a transplant. If it weren't for this, I would have already departed for a warmer climate but warm so often seems to equal backwards. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lambduck. Show Lambduck's posts

Born and raised on the West Coast, our family chose to live here instead. The natural contours of the land are much more visible. In many places one can see the rise and fall of the land, forests extending in all directions, and glacial ponds dotting the landscape. Unlike so many other places, the towns are built on a human scale. Town centers are charming and make one feel welcome. We are proud of the universities, symphonies, and above all..the LIBRARIES! We also love the sea and towns that have sprung up around it  But above all, we love the people here. The people we meet are passionate about their teams. They combine intelligence with a wry, down-to-earth sense of humor. They care about one another. And while we have become addicted to local seafood, we have watched with approval as the restaurant scene has grown more sophisticated and varied over the years. Even the crazy weather serves to deter the plague of sprawl. So, we found the place where we belong!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadChile. Show BadChile's posts

The fact it is not only utterly acceptable, but in fact encouraged, to ignore pesky traffic laws!  Long line of cars blocking my pending left turn?  No worries - gas it right before the light turns green!  Traffic on the interstate crawling along at 10mph?  No worries, I'm more important than the little people, I'll pull into the breakdown lane and cruise along at 65mph!  No parking spots?  No problem!  My hazard lights will be ok while I block a traffic lane to go get a cup of coffee!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rufus617. Show rufus617's posts

Nothing anymore.  As soon as a land a job elsewhere, hopefully warmer, I am outta here.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Micksoxx. Show Micksoxx's posts

New England is the closest one can get in the states to "the Old World."  It's unique, and far less homogenized than much of the rest of the country in terms of landscape, architecture, and general way of life.  I love that people generally don't go for mainstream American culture and the sense of history that exists there.   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jddouglass. Show jddouglass's posts

It's only about a 6-8 hour flight away from the West Coast!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nancysyd. Show nancysyd's posts

I love the extreme and cycle of the seasons. I love that in the dead of winter, under two feet of snow, I know that the promise of spring and summer await. It makes me believe in possibilities for rebirth and redemption. I love waiting and planning for my garden and watching the animals come out of hibernation in spring; mowing the lawn and soaking up the sun in summer; planting bulbs, picking apples and pumpkins and watching the leaves turn in fall; and yes, even watching the snow pile up, and filling my bird feeder in winter. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from East-Coast-Girl. Show East-Coast-Girl's posts

I love (and miss) everything about New England.

Currently living in El Paso, TX (which I affectionately call Hell Paso) - I have quickly realized how truly wonderful New England is.

I love the people, the seasons, the ocean, the trees and everything else that is green, the history, the views, the smell, the food, the lifestyle, the variety, the red sox and patriots and celtics and bruins, UMaine hockey, the new england beaches, the red hot-dogs, the weather, the culture, the architecture, the cobblestone streets, the landscape...

This list could go on forever...

I can't wait to move back!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MillisBoy. Show MillisBoy's posts

I love my memories of growing up in Millis.  Having mom throw us out of the house in the summer, with orders to come back at dinner time, and playing baseball at the park all day long.  Fishing at Bogastowe Brook.  Huge group tennis lessons at the town courts with Coach Karagolanian.

Walking the railroad tracks with my buddy, Frank, listening to the Boston Patriots on the transistor radio.  Mad football games in Clark's back yard.  Tobogganing at the Pumping Station Hill.  Hermann's Survivors.  Skating at Richardson's Pond.  Exploring the woods with my best friend, Timmy, and growing up.  The Halloween egg fight.  Post-football game parties at Sycamore's Pits. The Millis-Medway football game.  Clyde Brown School, the Memorial School, and Millis High School.  My classmates.  My teachers. Sports, band, classes (most of them, anyway). Having ice cream, served by Sliver Murphy, at the American Legion Post 209 after the Memorial Day Parade. Thanksgiving dinner at Nana's.

Remembering the pain and joy of adolescant love lost and found ... or never disclosed.  Did she ever know I had a crush on her?  Wow!  She likes me, too! Your first kiss ... your first girlfriend ... you'll remember forever.

I don't know if growing up in Millis was a magical in reality as it is in my minds-eye.  But it is a great town, and I love wearing my shirt that says "Townie."  I've been all over the world, and today I live about 500 miles away.  But when I draw my last breath, I hope to rest in Millis ...  the town I love, with the people I miss.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Benjisgirl. Show Benjisgirl's posts

The thing I love the most is the smell of the ocean. I had moved out to Kansas City once and I couldn't figure out what was missing. Coming back to Boston for two weddings,the same weekend, the minute I stepped off the plane at Logan, I said,"That's it!" The smell of the ocean. I moved back home.
     I also love the distinct change of seasons, the weather that is always changing. I love that you can be in distinct areas in two hours or less: Citylife, mountains, beaches, lakes, small towns, historical and cultural events, lectures, museums, varied musical venues, antiquing, sumptuous restaurants, excellent schools and colleges and universities, adult education, shopping, and nightlife.
     Oh, and the Sports! Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics, Bruins, and the Revolutions. All top performers: Champions! Then there is Pawtucket, Portland, Nashua, Manchester, and Lowell for low-cost up and coming sports.
     Variety is the spice of life and the New England area has it all!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RazzMattazz. Show RazzMattazz's posts

The drivers!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from fra3pro9. Show fra3pro9's posts

I was born and raised in Middlesex County, and have been aware of New England's
    rich colonial history since I could read. Lexington,Concord, and Bunker Hill. Washington, the new Commander-In-Chief taking that responsibility on Cambridge Common. It was history that had begun at Plymouth, and after a hundred years of
    turmoil evolved into a young nation. The history of New England is unique in that it was successful. It has stood for freedom since 1620. On a trip through mid-
     America I found myself feeling sorry for those who rarely see an ocean. New Englanders have it all. I cherish having been able to live here all these years.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bearhead56. Show Bearhead56's posts

Coming home on the B+M trail after burning for six hours on the Bretton Woods nordic trails.
    Plus the fact that we don't have to pretend  like MidWesterners that one of the Great Lakes is the ocean.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerry70. Show gerry70's posts

I love the eight months of winter every year. I wish I could leave .

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DowntownScottyBrown. Show DowntownScottyBrown's posts

Millis Boy just gave me the creeps...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patchic. Show Patchic's posts

I love the Fall….when the days are long enough and the sun is still warm but there’s a crispness in the air.  The smell of a wood burning stove and the crunch of fallen leaves under my feet.  Going to Wilson’s Farm in Lexington and waiting in line for their caramel candy apples, hot cider and warm apple donuts.  Watching the children going on a hayride and then climbing into our convertible and driving along the winding roads with the sun flickering through the trees and having the cool air in our hair.  How can you not love New England!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from emcee414. Show emcee414's posts

The four seasons are the highlight of the region I would say.  I feel my life would get boring if I didn't have that.  Fall is my favorite with the crisp air and warm days and cool nights...it's the best!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from CyberJoe. Show CyberJoe's posts

The Atlantic Ocean

Sections
Shortcuts