Utah Trip

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jk9. Show Jk9's posts

Utah Trip

I'm blasting off for my annual west coast trip on the 22nd to the 27th of January. Hitting Snowbird and Alta for sure, maybe a 3rd place. We are skiing 4 days.

UT has been getting KILLED. Of course the long term forecast is calling for very dry weather with no precip :(

Let's hope that a 12 day out forecast can be waaaaaay off.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jk9. Show Jk9's posts

Utah Trip

I hit the jackpot, 45+ of the good stuff while I was there!! Alta, Solitude, Snowbird, Snowbird. killed it for 4 straight days, then popped smoke for home. It was skiing knee deep in some spots by day 3 and 4.

The verdict: UT is off the hook with the terrain and amount of cola they get. Downside is its strictly about the snow. Off mountain is pretty weak. Still if you get the goods its tough to beat!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigone77. Show bigone77's posts

Utah Trip

We are heading there too on the 31st thru 2/6, and hitting Snowbird (twice), Park City and Brighton. As a snowboarder, we can't hit Alta, but its cool...

Planning on hitting Park City for the Superbowl since hopefully the bars will be better than what I hear are other places.

Going with a group of 7, so it should be a good time...airfare was $240, housing was $300 for the week, and lift tickets are $150 for 3 days, and then a 1 day pass at Park City...

Can't wait! Hope they get hammered more with snow before then!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jk9. Show Jk9's posts

Utah Trip

If your going to stay in the mountains then NO doubt about it you want to stay in LittleCotton Wood so you can ski Alta and Snowbird.

The Peruvian Lodge is old school with as solid of a ski bar that you'll find in UT. Right on Alta/Bird.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jk9. Show Jk9's posts

Utah Trip

NN,

See my comments about UT above. If you get the goods the terrain in friggin sick. We stayed in Sandy and were only 20 mins from the mountain. Cheap hotel rates down there. You need a 4wd vehicle for the canyon road(s)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nashobanelly. Show nashobanelly's posts

Utah Trip

Thanks VT - The $$ isnt that big of a concern as it's been 3 years since we have had the chance to get out West due to some youngin's... I think we are going to target staying up in the Canyon as it makes things easier for the group.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nashobanelly. Show nashobanelly's posts

Utah Trip

JK / VT thanks -

How sketchy is the driving in UT? I always hear about these canyon roads closing and not being able to get to the mountains - is it easier to stay directly at a place to avoid that? Like something similar to a Whistler experience... We had some white knuckle driving through a Tahoe pass that was enough for our crew and we would rather avoid the day to day driving if need be....

VT - we would want to ski on the travel days so that is helpful to know it is possible. The Snowcat skiing is something we are looking at basically as a guarantee to the goods. It sounds like I got to get a better layout of the UT area to see where our best plan should be for a 3-4 stay.

Could next week's storm be a repeat of last V-Day?

NN

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nashobanelly. Show nashobanelly's posts

Utah Trip

VT -

On a 3-4 day trip are you getting 3 days on? NN and the crew are putting something in the works for next season and we had UT on the radar. Considering we rarely get the chance to get away nowadays the partying scene is not all that important. We held off on UT back in the day when the party scene was the first priority and we are big fans of Tahoe (Kirkwood). It's a grind to get too and its more of a 5 day jaunt which makes it tough for our group. Also hit Whistler (twice) and Vail/Beaver.

Here is what we are looking at based on a 3-4 day trip.

Utah - Snowbird area
    Big Sky
    Ski Monarch (snowcat) / something similar. We have never been in a cat but it sure is tempting and the price is reasonable.
    or balls to the wall - BC heli / or similar. $$ is a concern here obviously

Sections
Shortcuts