What's your favorite ski area in New England?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from z02466. Show z02466's posts

Re: What's your favorite ski area in New England?

Well, it is New England and all, but the best mountain in the East is Whiteface.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DorisAubHeb. Show DorisAubHeb's posts

Wildcat Mountain in Jackson, N.H.  You cannot beat the scenery, and the people are great! If you haven't skied Wildcat, you have not skied!

Doris M. Aubinger-Hebert

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mainiac68. Show Mainiac68's posts

I'm a day late to this discussion but will have to go with Sugarloaf.  There is simply nothing like it in New England.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from roe99. Show roe99's posts

I'll pick two -and they're both in northwest ME....hopefully too far away for most of you to get here. . . Stick with southern VT - much closer to MA

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from eskimo64. Show eskimo64's posts

In response to BDCTravelStaff's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Who did you vote for in this year's edition of Skiing Showdown, and why? 

Stowe has always been my favorite New England ski resort. The mountain has terrain for every ability and, though it gets busy on weekends, the high speed quad on Mt. Mansfield and the Gondola reach the entire 2,100+ vertical in a single lift. Not many mountains have that luxury. Speaking about luxury, with the base village improvements at Spruce Peak, I'm talking country club lux! Also the moutain is in the town of Stowe, and like North Conway in NH, it is a ski town that was a vacation destination long before the advent of ski lifts, so it has the lodging, shopping and dining options to attract local and even international ski travelers. No wonder one hear so many accents and languages being spoken when visiting Stowe. Stowe may be small by Western US Ski resort standards, but it skis big and has the panache to attract international travelers. It's that good!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wiseoldwomann. Show wiseoldwomann's posts

In response to lovethepowder's comment:
    [QUOTE]

For me, regarding bang for the buck and uncrowded slopes in has to be Saddleback. Yeah, it is a total sledders town, but the last time I was there I got 4 nites lodging and skiing for less than $300.

[/QUOTE]

Agree on the bang for the buck, but the ride is too long.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wiseoldwomann. Show wiseoldwomann's posts

In response to larry2453's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Stowe is the Ski Capital of the East!

[/QUOTE]

Stowe is over rated and over priced.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wiseoldwomann. Show wiseoldwomann's posts

Tough choice as I like so many, but going to go with Sunday River. Terrain for everyone, can ski the entire weekend without having to cruise the same trails over and over. Ride up is borderline but doable for a weekend. Good snow.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wiseoldwomann. Show wiseoldwomann's posts

In response to LeftOut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to lovethepowder's comment:
    [QUOTE]

For me, regarding bang for the buck and uncrowded slopes in has to be Saddleback. Yeah, it is a total sledders town, but the last time I was there I got 4 nites lodging and skiing for less than $300.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Best deal going. Family feel.

[/QUOTE]

Agree on price, but the ride up is too long.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wiseoldwomann. Show wiseoldwomann's posts

In response to lalt's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to THE Guru2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I can tell you Attitash has gone down in both snowmaking and grooming.   Don't know why but for $70 a weekend day it should be better. 

[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  It is a mess.  I have a condo there but drive to Bretton Woods.  

[/QUOTE]
    That's sad to hear. I used to have a condo there and my kids learned to ski there. It was a great family mountain - haven"t been up for a few seasons.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wiseoldwomann. Show wiseoldwomann's posts

In response to larry2453's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Stowe is the Ski Capital of the East!

[/QUOTE]

Stowe is over rated and over priced.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrewP463. Show DrewP463's posts

In response to eskimo64's comment:

You must be in marketing ;^)

[QUOTE]

Stowe has always been my favorite New England ski resort. The mountain has terrain for every ability and, though it gets busy on weekends, the high speed quad on Mt. Mansfield and the Gondola reach the entire 2,100+ vertical in a single lift. Not many mountains have that luxury. Speaking about luxury, with the base village improvements at Spruce Peak, I'm talking country club lux! Also the moutain is in the town of Stowe, and like North Conway in NH, it is a ski town that was a vacation destination long before the advent of ski lifts, so it has the lodging, shopping and dining options to attract local and even international ski travelers. No wonder one hear so many accents and languages being spoken when visiting Stowe. Stowe may be small by Western US Ski resort standards, but it skis big and has the panache to attract international travelers. It's that good!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from eskimo64. Show eskimo64's posts

In response to DrewP463's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    Nope, I am not in Marketing. I work for a medical care company in their Risk Management Department... Keep in mind everyone has a different experience and expectation when skiing or doing anything else in life, for that matter. This is only my opinion as I find Stowe to have a certain "magical quality" that is not matched by any other ski area / resort in New England.         

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Valentino---. Show Valentino---'s posts

My favorite local slope? Hands down.........Koji Uehara.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrewP463. Show DrewP463's posts

Well, you'd make a great copywriter -- but the money's better in what you're doing.  Happy skiing!
    [QUOTE]

In response to DrewP463's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    Nope, I am not in Marketing. I work for a medical care company in their Risk Management Department... Keep in mind everyone has a different experience and expectation when skiing or doing anything else in life, for that matter. This is only my opinion as I find Stowe to have a certain "magical quality" that is not matched by any other ski area / resort in New England.         

[/QUOTE]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4021485. Show user_4021485's posts

In response to z02466's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Well, it is New England and all, but the best mountain in the East is Whiteface.

[/QUOTE]

You mean Iceface Wink ... I'd pick Gore or Whiteface over most New England mountains, but since its a New England contest, I'll go with Jay

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from OddTodd. Show OddTodd's posts

Never been to Ice Face but I heard good and bad things.  VT has all the best skiing in the East.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from erm10. Show erm10's posts

Cannon with the upset of MRG and The 'Loaf?   I like Cannon but let's get real, Sugarloaf is the true beast of the east.

Stowe has awesome terrain but the cost is out of control as is the attitude of most people there.

Haven't been to Saddleback in years but dying to get there again.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from erm10. Show erm10's posts

In response to OddTodd's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Never been to Ice Face but I heard good and bad things.  VT has all the best skiing in the East.

[/QUOTE]

Sugarloaf is as good or better than anything in VT.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from globefan. Show globefan's posts

In response to jmo76's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Burke Mountain is  great plus we have an Olympic Champion

[/QUOTE]

That would be QBurke

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrewP463. Show DrewP463's posts

I'm glad Jay lost -- more pow for me!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

My favorite in NE is Jay Peak (challenging with off piste opportunities with a very friendly environment!) but overall I prefer Hunter Mountain in NY. Challenging terrain on a compact mountain with the best teaching staff in the East. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DorisAubHeb. Show DorisAubHeb's posts

Hands down; Wildcat Mountain in Jackson, N.H.  Challenging, and the view cannot be beat anywhere.
    Doris M. Aubinger-HebertWink