February New York Hotel

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from KEK. Show KEK's posts

February New York Hotel

A friend of mine and myself are thinking of taking our two daughters (14) to New York for a couple of nights over February vacation.  We will take the bus.  I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for convenient, affordable, hotels.  I have been told the Times Square area is probably the best place to stay.   If the rooms are large enough we can all stay in one room which would cut down the expense.  Also, I have been told to get a two day pass to one of the site-seeing busses.  It should take us everywhere we want and will be less expensive than taking taxis.
    Does anyone have suggestions for hotels or anything else.  The girls want to shop on Canal Street, see a show on Broadway, Rockerfeller Center skating, etc.  Anything I'm missing?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from odatruf. Show odatruf's posts

Re: February New York Hotel

I wouldn't stay in Times Square.  The hotels there are overpriced and other then being around late night drunks and mid day tourists, there is little to offer.   Find a smaller botique hotel on the upper east or west side, or pick one of the mid town grand hotels and then walk or take a taxi to Times Square when you want to go.

For the latter, I always get good rates at the Roosevelt Hotel.  The rooms are not that big, but you can probably get one for about $150 per night. 

Unless you plan on going all over, you won't need to do one of the bus tours.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosismooses. Show mosismooses's posts

Check out the Hotel Alex, close to Grand Central Station. It might be pricey, but their suites are the largest I have seen in NYC. The hotel is very modern, and updated. I love the Roosevelt as it is the "classic" NYC hotel, but there is no way you are getting 4 human beings into a room there!! If you cost average a suite at the Alex, it might be worth it depending on how many nights.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_2151111. Show user_2151111's posts

Just returned Thursday from NYC - stayed at Ink 48 a new hotel on 11th and 48th.  Close to times square on the west side.  Very nice and extremely reasonable by NYC standards ($169/nt with AAA for King).  Rooms may be a little small for more than 1 or 2 people, but very nice nonetheless.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from srl1215. Show srl1215's posts

Take the NBC Tour, it's great! Stand on the stage of Saturday Night Live. Right there at Rockerfeller Center.

Cheap place to stay that is nice, but old is right across from Madison Sq. Garden. Hotel Pensylvannia.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChocolateLover1. Show ChocolateLover1's posts

The Nu Hotel in Boerum Hill, an up and coming neighborhood in Brooklyn near the Brooklyn Academy of Music, is a delightful, chic, minimalist hotel where double rooms at times have rates as low as $119 per night.  There are good restaurants nearby, and a short subway ride takes you to Manhattan.  The staff is friendly and helpful, and there is a simple buffet breakfast included.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from chil. Show chil's posts

Recently I took my niece and nephew to New York.  We stayed at the Millenium Broadway located right in Times Square the rate was 178. per night.  I got two rooms that were connected on the inside.  Beautiful hotel, great location and good price.  Additionally I bought us a two day pass on the Gray Line Tour bus and used it only once, took  the full tour without getting off. I was thinking that the bus would be great transportation for day two but it moves very slow through the city and concluded that it would be a waist of valuable time.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichelleandtheBoys. Show MichelleandtheBoys's posts

We always stay at the Marriott Residence Inn in Times Square.  It's a studio, with a full refrigerator and microwave, and the kids sleep on a pull out couch.  It's pretty nice and in a good spot.  I love staying right in Times Square and can walk to most things.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ennui. Show ennui's posts

The Sheraton Towers is a good location since it is short walk to Times Square without the traffic and congestion. Handy to subways, walking distance to Central Park, etc.  No pricier than most and can always find an on-line special.   Rooms are a good size, plenty of  space between end of bed and the opposite wall!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mmacpherson. Show mmacpherson's posts

W Hotel in Union Square.  I swear by it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from KEK. Show KEK's posts

Just wanted to post an update.  We stayed at The Hotel @Times Square.  It is on W 46th between 5th and 6th Ave, so about 1 1/2 blocks from Times Square.  Overall we were very pleased.  The rooms were big enough for the two nights we were there but if we had stayed any longer we would have needed a little more room.  The hotel was clean and modern.  The staff was very pleasant.  The only drawback was the very slow elevator.  Even though we were on the 12th floor we opted for the stairs a couple of times.  (made up for all the great food we consumed).  We paid about $170 / night for two queen beds. 
    Thanks for everyone's help. 

Sections
Shortcuts