First visit to Boston for a couple from the UK

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from viennageoff. Show viennageoff's posts

Dear Bostonians!,

My wife and I (from London, UK) have just booked a four day break to Boston for our 25th Wedding Anniversary.

We arrive on the 11th Sept 2009 and are staying near The Back Bay Station and as this will be our first time in Boston I would like to ask you kind folk if you could recommend some good eateries, tourist spots and most importantly, recommend the best way of getting around (other than walking!) as we will not be hiring a car whilst there.

I would also like to know what the best (and cheapest) mode of transport for getting from the Airport to our hotel.

With thanks in advance to everyone who may reply.
    Geoff

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sandybaby. Show sandybaby's posts

Definitely use the T as suggested by the previous poster. Having visited London, I can say without a doubt that if you can use London's Underground, you can use our T system with no problem. You can buy tourist passes, visit mbta.com for rates/info.

There are many places to visit. You are staying in a great area, very close to shopping and many restaurants. You will find walking to be the best way to get around your immediate area to visit the Charles River Esplanade, Public Garden, Newbury Street shopping, Copley Square. September is a great time to be in Boston and unless you have a mobility restriction, I think you'll find yourself walking to more places than not; it is a small city!

I tell everyone who visits Boston to take a Duck tour. They are tours on amphibious WWII vehicles and are loads of fun. You can catch the tour right near your hotel at the Prudential Center and they go all around the city, pointing out various attractions, and end with a ride through the Charles River.

There are also Old Town Trolley Tours and I'm not too familiar with those but I believe you buy a pass and you can take these trolleys to visit various tourist areas and then get back on by waiting at a specific "bus stop" area. Their website is http://www.trolleytours.com/boston/ .

Enjoy your stay. I hope you love my city as much as I love yours.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from viennageoff. Show viennageoff's posts

[Quote]You can get from the airport to back bay area on the "T" which is what our subway system is called. Also a good way to get around in general. Boston is a very compact city and you can pretty much walk or take public transport
    anywhere.

I'm going to research tourist spots and get back to you. One thing that is fun to do for not much money is to take a harbor ferry. (look up boston MBTA to get info and schedules for harbor ferries and subway(). You can walk the "freedom trail" which is a marked path thru the city visiting historical sites. Ther must be somewhere online to get a map.

Restaurants probably depend on you interest and budget. The North End is all Italian and some very good places.

If you could say the name of your hotel I would be able to provide more specific recommendations.

Happy to have you visit our city. September is a good choice.[/Quote]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from viennageoff. Show viennageoff's posts

Many thanks for both replies - apologies for not replying sooner!.

We will be staying in the Chandler Inn - have heard various reports about this hotel and just hope the better one's are the most correct one's!!.

We will definately do as you suggest and try and walk everywhere and also take the Duck Tour - London has similar but I haven't tried them I must admit.

The Freedom trail seems to be a must do, so that will def be on our to do list.

If you can think/recommend anything else, pelse let me know, I will be most grateful - I want this 25th Wedding Anniversary present to my wife to be one of the best breaks we have had!.

Best regards,

Geoff

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sandybaby. Show sandybaby's posts

One thing about September...while the days are typically lovely, the nights can get cool. Bring clothing that can be layered and plan for any temperature range from 40-80 Farenheit. I'm not kidding. You'll be near plenty of stores should you find you need something else for the weather which is unpredictable until you're standing outside looking up.

One thing you MUST do is visit the Public Garden. In September the flowers will still be in bloom and are just beautiful. If the Swan Boats are still open do that too.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyjane70. Show crazyjane70's posts

The Chandler Inn is in a lovely part of town called the South End. Some of the best food is in that area. For a splurge meal you might try Hammersly's Bistro on Tremont St. It is expensive but a great experience.

The Soutn End full of tree lined streets and funky shops. Take some time out and relax by walking around the neighborhood.
    http://www.southendgardentour.org/

I always reccommend that people go to the Maparium at the Christian Science Church on Mass Ave. It's free, or it used to be anyway. The Maparium itself is a round glass room that has amazing ecoustics. You are looking at a map from the 1930s from the inside out. Amazing! The reflection pool is just outside the church and is worth a look.
    http://www.marybakereddylibrary.org/exhibits/mapparium

The freedom trail is a great way to see the city, but long. If you plan to visit the USS Constitution take the Harbor Ferry and NOT the train.

You MUST visit the North End. It's our Little Italy and the food is top notch pretty much everywhere. If you go for lunch on a weekday go to Galleria Umberto
    http://www.hiddenboston.com/GalleriaUmberto.html
    get there early (before noon believe it or not) and be prepared to stand in line. Your reward will be the best Aronccini (risotto balls with yummy meat and cheese inside) you will ever have.

For a North End Dinner we like Carmen (Very Romantic!!) and Taranta for eclectic fare and Mother Anna's for good old fashioned Tomato and Cheese Italian.

Enjoy your visit!