First visit to Boston

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sandybaby. Show sandybaby's posts

First visit to Boston

Why the parking issue - are you driving to Boston? If you are not, skip the rental car and take the T everywhere. You can buy tourist passes. 

I would not stay in a suburb because then you will be forced to get a rental car and have to deal with driving into Boston, a challange for natives, and paying to park. You may get a better rate staying in one of the hotels near the airport which typically provide shuttle service to the T station rather than right in downtown.

Suggestions: a Duck Tour - they are really fun and you will learn alot about the city.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

First visit to Boston

I agree with sandybaby. There are several reasonably (for a major city, anyway) priced hotels near but not AT Logan or Downtown in East Boston, Chelsea, and Revere. Choose from Hampton Inn, Marriott, Wyndham, etc. Also check your hotel guides for hotels located in Everett, Winthrop, Dedham, Quincy, Newton,(towns that border Boston) or West Roxbury, Hyde Park, Jamaica Plain, Allston/Brighton which are parts/neighborhoods of Boston. Most have access to the T. Also, consider having Italian food in Boston's other (formerly) Italian neighborhood, East Boston. Jeveli's, Rino's Place, Mario's are all just as good and not nearly as expensive as the North End. I'd be careful about planning a trip to the Vineyard. It's a long drive and then a ferry trip for you and your car. And, since most of the Cape and Islands roll up the sidewalks after Labor Day, you may be disappointed at how much you find to do there.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from melrose76. Show melrose76's posts

First visit to Boston

Greetings...I'll add my 2 cents. I completely agree with not using a car unless you need to. Maybe rent one for the day you need to drive to the Cape to catch a ferry to get to MV, but otherwise, stick to the T. It's true MV will clear out after Labor Day, but the prices will go down and it will still be lovely.

As for hotels, I've had much luck in other cities using sites like Expedia, Orbitz, Sidestep and Priceline (esp. Priceline--you enter in what you are willing to pay, what star-rating, what general area, etc.). You will likely find a much better deal than $350/night.

You didn't tell us how long you're staying, but I think you will keep yourself busy. You can buy the City Pass for $45 or so and see several attractions on it. Definitely do the Duck Tours or the Trolley Tours. You can get off and on the trolleys all day and they hit all the major neighborhoods.

Chicago is one of my favorite cities, but keep in mind Boston is much smaller and more compact. Riding the L can take forever b/c it's so far between many stops, but the T is not like that. A little research goes a long way--you can plan your trip by the subway stops if you really want to. I don't know what interests you, but if you post about what you'd like to see, I'm sure you'll get suggestions. Do a little research on North End restaurants. There are good ones and there are really bad ones. Don't just wander through and pick whatever looks good--have a plan!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from melrose76. Show melrose76's posts

First visit to Boston

If you're on Hereford, St., you're very centrally located. Yes, I would buy a trolley pass if you want to explore Cambridge or if you walk too far and want to ride back. Otherwise it's $2 per ride, which adds up. Every T stop has vending machines for passes now. You can pay by CC. If you don't have a car, I'm not sure how you'd get to a location to catch the MV ferry. I'm pretty sure commuter rails don't go that far, but I could be wrong. You could rent a car, but it might end up being a long trip if you don't plan to spend the night. If you want to see a cute New England town, you can get to Newburyport, Salem or Ipswich and places like that via commuter rail. You can take a train to Providence, RI. You could also rent a car and drive to Newport RI--lovely little town, no need to get a ferry. As for seafood, I don't know. Any good restaurant is going to have a good seafood dish or five. Legal and McCormick and Schmicks are chains, but are good with decent raw bars. Google 'best seafood in Boston', and you'll see that people don't agree... Might be worth buying a recent edition of a Boston guide and going from there. Good luck.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sandybaby. Show sandybaby's posts

First visit to Boston

Guzaguza -

When you say So East end, what do you mean? We don't have a neighborhood called that. If you mean the South End, not so much for Italian. If you mean East Boston, same thing, not like in the old days, I'm not sure I'd send a tourist there without a local either.

The Trolley tour drops off/picks up at various spots throughout the city, can't say if its a good deal but it looks easy, probably moreso than taking the T.

For the week you're coming, my best advice is to bring a varied wardrobe. Going into fall we have warm, sometimes VERY warm days, and cool nights. You don't want to go out in shorts during the day and get caught in them at night.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ManOnTheSilverMountain. Show ManOnTheSilverMountain's posts

First visit to Boston

Make sure you visit Mattapan, it's beautiful in the fall

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from elliot123. Show elliot123's posts

First visit to Boston

I am traveling to Boston with my family - How is the information in this site for a Boston, MA family vacation?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from viennageoff. Show viennageoff's posts

First visit to Boston

Dear Bostonians!,

My wife and I (from London, UK) have just booked a four day break to Boston for our 25th Wedding Anniversary.

We arrive on the 11th Sept 2009 and are staying near The Back Bay Station and as this will be our first time in Boston I would like to ask you kind folk if you could recommend some good eateries, tourist spots and most importantly, recommend the best way of getting around (other than walking!) as we will not be hiring a car whilst there.

I would also like to know what the best (and cheapest) mode of transport for getting from the Airport to our hotel.

With thanks in advance to everyone who may reply.
    Geoff

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from billski. Show billski's posts

Re: First visit to Boston

In Response to First visit to Boston:
    I would also like to know what the best (and cheapest) mode of transport for getting from the Airport to our hotel.

"Best" and "cheapest" cannot appear in the same sentence: it is illegal in Boston.

Cheapest?  Take the T?
    Best?  In terms of time and convenience?  Take a Taxi.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from AllenSimpson. Show AllenSimpson's posts

Re: First visit to Boston

I born and grew up in Boston. I think it depends on what you are looking for. If you want to live closer to the city like Quincy, Medford, you can have access to the subway and buses, but the neighborhoods are blue collar, and the houses are quite old. Even in boston lots of houses are old .

Sections
Shortcuts