Other changes in the neighborhood?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCJoeAllenBlack. Show BDCJoeAllenBlack's posts

Other changes in the neighborhood?

Whole Foods is going to take the place of Hi-Lo foods. Alchemist has closed and been replaced by Canary Square.

What are other recent changes in the neighborhood? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from markbul. Show markbul's posts

Re: Other changes in the neighborhood?

Let's see... there's Woolworth's, Hanlon's shoes, Mullen's bakery, Pearl's candy shop, Erco's toy store, Jones's gift shop.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrpyro. Show mrpyro's posts

In Response to Re: Other changes in the neighborhood?:
    Let's see... there's Woolworth's, Hanlon's shoes, Mullen's bakery, Pearl's candy shop, Erco's toy store, Jones's gift shop.
    Posted by markbul

And don't forget..The Pelham Spa, Western Market, A&P. and The First National Store, Teddy's Hardware, Kramer's Furniture.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOmee. Show HOmee's posts

The old Police Station are condos. The old high school are condos.

But for me, JP "jumped the shark" when Dick's Spa on Carolina Ave. was replaced by a hair salon.

I say to Whole Foods--what took you so long? Trader Joe's anyone??

The "BoBos" are awaiting your arrival!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mooney1. Show mooney1's posts

didn't this all start happening a long time ago? JP isn't like the South End (thank god), but it's clearly a place that's been gentrifying for a long time, no? Weird that it takes a grocery chain moving in to set this discussion off. Neighborhoods change. For good, for bad, and for neutral. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mooney1. Show mooney1's posts

by the way, i say that having lived in the south end, and loved it, but i'm just glad JP is not like the South End :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevekacz. Show stevekacz's posts

moved away 15 years ago SOP is still there, i hear........loved that place. HI-LO - nostagic, yes - but, be honest.......a dump.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mooney1. Show mooney1's posts

re the nostalgia comment: i tend to agree...I mean no disrespect to people that loved that place and shopped there, but i feel like some of these people that kind of got on their soapbox in the press about Hi Lo, diversity, etc, have never actually BEEN in the place. Shopped there a few times. Let's just say it had its day, and that day is over...pretty sketchy. I think the owners just needed an out.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from trbostonian. Show trbostonian's posts

JP has been gentrifying for 30 years and shows no sign of letting up. Come back in a hundred years and it might be a slum again. These things happen in macro-cycles and if you study the history of many urban neighborhoods (The South End, is a good example) you realize that many "gentrified" city areas were once executive-class.

The "dilemma" over gentification is really something the gentrifiers have to come to terms with. Much of the angst seems to come from the same post-grad, I-love-diversity crowd that have made these place unaffordable to begin with.

No one seemed to cry when the North End, which had been an Italian neighborhood (real Italian, not trendy Tuscan Bistros) for a century became a bland Yuppie district. There wasn't much public concern when Charlestown, another ethnic Irish neighborhood for most of the 20th century, became a haven for the young and fabulous. So it's hard to understand why a Latino community (J.P., by the way, was never more than 26% latino) should be immune to the natural socio-economic ebb and flow of the urban mosaic.

What comes around goes around.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RTM. Show RTM's posts

I remember my mother sending me up to Louies Meat Market to pick up meat. Back in the days when everything was done on a tab. My favorite store back in those days were Pearls and Erco's

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

I have been up and down the J Way a lot these past few months.  I have to admit that I have never seen it looking better and being used by people.

13. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts