Whole Foods is replacing Hi-Lo Foods

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCJoeAllenBlack. Show BDCJoeAllenBlack's posts

Whole Foods is replacing Hi-Lo Foods

Some are saying the coming of Whole Foods is the biggest reminder yet that the stretch of Centre Street once proposed as Boston's Latin Quarter is inexorably shrinking as gentrification advances through Hyde Square.

What do you think about this change? Is it good for the community? Will you shop at Whole Foods?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BD1958. Show BD1958's posts

Re: Whole Foods is replacing Hi-Lo Foods

I'm a resident of Hyde Square, and I have to say that I'm pinching myself!  I've lived in JP for over 20 years -- moved there when there was no Stop & Shop, Harvest Co-Op, City Feed, Wonder Spice, Bukhara, JP Seafood Cafe, Canary Square, James's Gate, Dogwood's, Brendan Behan, Purple Cactus, Boomerangs, Boing, Kitchen Witch, Prudential Real Estate, Wainwright Bank & Trust, Ace Hardware, Tostados, Blue Frog, The Haven, Bella Luna, Mike's Gym, Ula Cafe ... In other words, all kinds of places that many residents of JP (and visitors who love the place) feel strongly make up the fabric of our community.  Once all of these places were new, too, and many of them replaced other businesses that no longer exist.

A handful of places have aged along with me in JP, including JP Licks, Acapulco, The Same Old Place, Classic Cleaners, Blanchards, Morrion's, and Tru-Value Hardware.  The Hi-Lo is on this list, and I am sad that it is closing.  But I am excited for our community and for the energy and vitality that this new grocery store will bring to my neighborhood.  It's a good fit and it will be a joy to be able to walk to a market with such a selection of good food!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from franko4. Show franko4's posts

it's a pretty strong statement about what's happening that whole foods is moving in. however, i have to say that whole foods has great food, and hi-lo was a pretty bad market... for how big it was, it had a horrendous selection for standard food and goods, and incredibly restricted hours.  i wont be sorry to see it gone, but i do hope that whole foods keeps the mural on perkins.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sharpesttack. Show sharpesttack's posts

Both murals should be saved!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rosenwav. Show rosenwav's posts

while it's true whole foods does offer quality products, it is quite pricey. i agree with the hi-lo customer who stated that whole foods doesn't care about poor people. unfortunately, what that means is that people of limited means will have to shop at the local bodegas or travel elsewhere for their groceries. what a hassle.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sammi007. Show Sammi007's posts

I think a Demoulas Market Basket or even a Trader Joes would be a better fit that space and for JP. Whole Foods aka whole paycheck isn't as helpful to the commenuity.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from danielb12. Show danielb12's posts

Whole Foods is Wal-Mart with a liberal facade.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sbbluejeep. Show sbbluejeep's posts

I agree with danielb12.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kvn332. Show kvn332's posts

Things change ....... who lamented for Triple D's, Kilgarriff's, Boston Gas, Forest Hills Factory Outlet, the trolley cars,all the businesses on Amory,and in the old Haffenreffer brewery? bring those days back!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from trbostonian. Show trbostonian's posts

J.P. has been gentrified for 20 years. When I was a kid (in the 80's) it was slummy and mainly a mixture of elderly holdovers, poor Latinos and the occasional displaced college student from Indiana. But it was an interesting place for sure.

Now Jamaica Plain has acheived full-fledged hipster status and is Boston's version of Williamsburg Brooklyn. Youngish post-grads with thick glasses (read: intellectual) ride their bikes to ATMs to cash their parents checks. Yuppie moms stroll the Southwest Corridor Park contemplating whether to move to Needham or Southborough when Madeline turns four. Everyone walks around with looks of smug self-importance.

Basically J.P. is one of those neighborhoods that's is a victim of its own success. Madison Avenue caught on years ago that there's money to be made in re-affirming any groups own sense of "authenticity." It was only time before the signs and significations of the old J.P. vanished and it is fitting that the corporate Whole Foods (which I love, by the way) replace a local food mart. Out with the old and in with the new! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from chipster1. Show chipster1's posts

In Response to Re: Whole Foods is replacing Hi-Lo Foods:
    [QUOTE]Things change ....... who lamented for Triple D's, Kilgarriff's, Boston Gas, Forest Hills Factory Outlet, the trolley cars,all the businesses on Amory,and in the old Haffenreffer brewery? bring those days back!!
    Posted by kvn332[/QUOTE]
    Ditto kvn332.  How about the A&P and First National(?) grocery stores that served the area so many years ago.  I am looking forward to a grocery store again in the area where I don't have to drive to to get my groceries. Come on In Whole Foods!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wardcl. Show wardcl's posts

To: Sammi007

I too agreed that a company such as Trader Joes would be a better fit for the community.  Trader Joes has comparable items, and they are priced more affordable than Whole Foods. However, Whole Foods has great fruits and vegetables.  My overall assessment of Whole Foods is that they caters to a whole different class of people. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from laughingjackal. Show laughingjackal's posts

My wife and I are in a unique position.  She is Venezuelan and we've often shopped at Hi-Lo as the store offered her a chance to buy products that gave her a "taste of home."  We will deifnitely miss the Hi-Lo and the Latin American specialities that we were able to buy there.  We'll now have to head over to East Boston to get most of those food stuffs. 

However, Hi-Lo served a niche market, and equally significant, JP does not offer any other real supermarket options.  The Stop and Shop on Centre Street is the "forgotten child" of that enterprise--poorly stocked,  in disrepair, and offering an overall poor shopping experience.  City Feed and Harvest--although offering a selection of many of the organic and local products that will be on the shelves at Whole Foods--post prices far in excess of what you might find at Whole Foods.  And, truthfully, trying to complete the entirety of your shopping at either of those stores is an impossibility given the lack of trur meat and fish counters.  What's the use of a neighborhood grocery store that neccessitates travel to other stores?

We moved to JP for the diversity and the opportunity to raise a child in a bilingual community.  I'll be th first to admit that the community is definitely changing.  Gentrification will continue--as it has in other areas of the city like Somerville, the South End, Charlestown, Chelsea, etc--and I don't necessarily view that process as bad for a community.  Put simply, gentrification may negatively impact diversity but it does often result in a safer, more secure and more economically viable community.  Plus, property values will increase thereby giving longtime homeowners a greater investment return on their homes should they ever decide to sell and leave JP. 

All told,, we are thrilled with the prospect of a Whole Foods in our neighborhood yet a bit anxious about the positive and potentially negative effects it could bring to the JP community at large. 

And, for all the neasayers, there are no regulations that compel you to shop there.  Should you want to "buy local" and "support local businesses," you can still shop at City Feed, Harvest, or the local bodegas. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from FredricaMac. Show FredricaMac's posts

The media should start using the accurate term of Restoration and not the bleeding heart liberal term of "Gentrification." If the improvement of a neighborhood is gentrification, then the proper term for an influx of immigrants who destroy previously proud and hard working neighborhoods should not be called diversity, but destruction!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wottthe. Show wottthe's posts

[QUOTE]The media should start using the accurate term of Restoration and not the bleeding heart liberal term of "Gentrification." If the improvement of a neighborhood is gentrification, then the proper term for an influx of immigrants who destroy previously proud and hard working neighborhoods should not be called diversity, but destruction!
    Posted by FredricaMac[/QUOTE]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsterb. Show rsterb's posts

Unfortunately the people who will be negatively affected by this move are poor, powerless and many don't speak English.  They will not be able to advocate for themselves and will not be heard on this discussion blog.  Why has this happened so quietly without any community input?  This is a class issue where the poor lose out.  Whole Foods isn't just another grocery store.  It is a store that caters to middle and upper class folks and will be unaffordable to those who live in the area.  This is criminal!  I have lived in JP for 37 years.  It is sad to read that the Latino population is down to 20% from 28% and the income level is rising.  Unfortunately it will only get worst and eventually become another Newbury Street!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mnitsirk. Show mnitsirk's posts

[QUOTE]I agree with danielb12.
    Posted by sbbluejeep[/QUOTE]

Seconded. (Whole Foods is a yuppie Wal-Mart). It will wipe out lots of good local businesses.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from banba. Show banba's posts

I'm a JP Resident and delighted with this news. I think it will make Hyde Square more diverse and a safer place to live. 

I shopped at HI-Lo many times but was not impressed with the quality of the products, especially the meat.  The Stop and Shop is only a few blocks away from Hi-Lo and has a big spanish foods section. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from reddoster. Show reddoster's posts

Before you assume that Whole Foods is more expensive, do a price comparison or if you are too lazy, do a google search. For similar items, Whole Foods' prices are surprisingly about the same (some items are more expensive and some are less).

I've lived in JP for 8 years and am extremely excited about Whole Foods coming to the neighborhood. Hi Lo could have closed and just left an empty store.

Any food store would be stupid to not cater it's selections to the local neighborhood. I think that everyone would agree that the S&S is extremely tailored to the latin american population in the neighborhood. If you go to S&Ses in other cities where there is a different population mix, you'll find a different selection of items.  I would expect Whole Foods to do something similar. Additionally, this opens an opportunity for all of the little convenience stores to increase their selection. 

The one concern I have over Whole Foods coming in is traffic. Centre St between Jackson and Hyde Sqs is already packed during many times of day. A traffic abatement study really has to be done.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChrisLovett. Show ChrisLovett's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Whole Foods is replacing Hi-Lo Foods :
    Posted by wottthe[/QUOTE]

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChrisLovett. Show ChrisLovett's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Whole Foods is replacing Hi-Lo Foods :
    Posted by ChrisLovett[/QUOTE]
    The term "restoration" would be a better fit if people who left were moving back. I remember JP of 70's-90's, and some of those years were rough. But the mix of immigrants and gentrifiers did not destroy the neighborhod. There are "proud, hardworking" people in both categories, which is one reason why JP is as attractive as it is today. Given that people have been moving outof Boston since the 17th century, it's good the different types of new people move in. A more constructive debate is: what kind of solution would best serve the food needs of the different populations: one store with a more diverse range of products and employees, or two different stores.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mitchconnor. Show mitchconnor's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Whole Foods is replacing Hi-Lo Foods : Seconded. (Whole Foods is a yuppie Wal-Mart). It will wipe out lots of good local businesses.
    Posted by mnitsirk[/QUOTE]
    Who do you think that they will "wipe out?"

It is a strong store that will cause a larger amount of JP to shop within JP.  Bigger paychecks for the workers (more workers by the way) will likely be spent in the surrounding shops in JP.  

Good local business will still thrive.  Overpriced goods at City Feed will certainly need to be reevaluated.  Whole Foods will source from lots of the same local producers that City Feed does.  Read the fine print.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TIMATOV. Show TIMATOV's posts

Whole Foods can actually be a good thing for our neighborhood.

While the neighborhood will be losing one large Latin-American supermarket, one only has to walk down Centre Street from Hyde Sq towards Bromley-Heath to realize that there are many locally-owned/locally-operated neighborhood bodegas who just may be able to capitalize on the closing of Hi-Lo by offering a smaller, yet similar, selection of the Latin-American foods previously sold by Hi-Lo.

The closing of Hi-Lo may be a boon to these store owners if they're smart-enough to capitalize on the opportunity which is presenting itself.  I think this concept could be as exciting as the concept of Whole Foods coming to our neighborhood.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatguyfromJP. Show ThatguyfromJP's posts

[QUOTE]The media should start using the accurate term of Restoration and not the bleeding heart liberal term of "Gentrification." If the improvement of a neighborhood is gentrification, then the proper term for an influx of immigrants who destroy previously proud and hard working neighborhoods should not be called diversity, but destruction!

I'm not even sure if I should even waste my time with a reply.  After all, if you are that ignorant-chances are I won't change your mind.  

Your post is full of thinly veiled racism. As far as the "influx of immigrants who destroy...." I recall that people said the same of the Irish, Italians, and Jews in the 18th and 19th hundreds.  

My advice to you, take a break from Fox News.  Wink

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Subtle. Show Subtle's posts

Sections
Shortcuts