Whole Foods is replacing Hi-Lo Foods

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Subtle. Show Subtle's posts

Say it like it really is!

Another social Darwinist, bugger thy neighbor attitude; the same blindness that just cost us ten trillion dollars.

Don't be so shy. Tell us what you really think.

Why be so gentle? Too sensitive to say "Ethnic Cleansing?"

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Subtle. Show Subtle's posts

Whole picture

Some good thoughts posted here, but so many single issues and self interest.

Hi-lo is gone. Anybody has the right to retire. As a practical matter, there is very little leverage over a business that is closing. Disparaging or pining for Hi-lo is irrelevant; they are gone and aren't part of the mix.

Whole Foods, despite mega-spin and "an olive bar to die for", is not an unmitigated blessing. Start here:
    http://michaelbluejay.com/misc/wholefoods-articles.html

They are granting interviews to laid-off Hi-lo employees. Who are they NOT giving interviews?

The Hi-lo parking lot holds about 65 cars, and Hyde Square is jammed for parking. Given, say, 50/100 employees on duty at any time, does WF expect to survive on walk-in customers and 15 drivers?? Is there anyone (City of Boston) who has the expertise and will to study this problem?

Whole Foods will be the tipping point for the diversity of Jamaica Plain. There seems to be an emerging, if unspoken, concensus among the white community, local homeowners, and our elected officials that this is a done deal. As always, there is too much money to be made by upgrading another low-end community for anything but negotiations around the edges.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpjl. Show jpjl's posts

Re: Whole Foods is replacing Hi-Lo Foods

I've just joined a great new site petitioning a welcoming JP for ALL of use who live and work here! You may want to check it out:
    www.jpforall.org

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cthulhu-and-Friends. Show Cthulhu-and-Friends's posts

As a complete non-local- I will say this: Gentrification seems to be what Boston is all about. Not that that is a bad thing- but City leadership seems to want only one type of demographic here- a wealthy one.

American cities are starting to experience what has been the case in Europe for years and years- the wealthiest are living in the cities and those of lesser means are being pushed out. This phenomenon is partially responsbile for the current demographics in cities like New Bedford, Lawrence and Brockton. I am willing to be a sixpack that many people in those communities USED TO live in the South End, Fenway, JP, etc. and then- when rent and properties values roses- they left.

As for JP (where I admittedly do not live)- its a great community- but yes- once a Whole Foods comes in- its pretty clear what is going on. You need to have ALOT of disposable income to shop there.

PS- one of the reasons they are so expensive is because they actually pay their employees well and sell QUALITY products. I am a pretty conservative guy, but I will be the first to tell you that I can immediately tell if I am eating factory bred meant (chicken, beef) or free range/ grass fed- etc. I pay more for meat that tastes real and that I would be comfortable eating if I saw the animals living conditions.

Trust me- I grew up on a ranch- theres a big difference between real meat and factory meat.

Trader Joes or Shaws is probably a better idea ofr the spot though...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from AndrewHydePark. Show AndrewHydePark's posts

People will shop at Whole Foods whether it be located in Legacy Place in Dedham or in Jamaica Plain. As a Boston resident, I want people to shop at the JP location. That means jobs and commercial activity for my community. The naysayers amaze me. Would they rather see the storefront remain empty? Let's not forget about the many "for rent" signs on Centre Street.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZsaZsaOnline. Show ZsaZsaOnline's posts

As a long-time JP resident, I Whole-heartedly welcome this excellent store to the neighborhood. 
      The best story I've seen recently was a Globe expose where the actual prices for various food items were compared across various Boston stores-including-HiLo -- Whole Foods compared favorably in price.  Not to mention, they have better produce and products. 
      Don't forget to address value.  Good food and fair prices....Why shouldn't WF be able to compete!  I want to be able to buy good food at a fair price.  I'm satisfied that WF will do the trick.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from fairnsquare. Show fairnsquare's posts

Who were arrested? For WF, or against?

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NotLocalAnymore. Show NotLocalAnymore's posts

Of course Whole Foods is a sign of gentrification

I left the Boston area 12 years ago because housing is so expensive. This same decision will be made by some of the JP residents as the housing costs escalate. That is what happens with privately owned real estate (and publicly owned housing didn't create diversitry in Boston - it created crime ridden segregated neighborhoods).

I find the idea that residents of a community should be able to block a WalMart or Whole Foods from opening a store to be idealistic and entirely unrealistic. If the residents of JP don't want a Whole Foods then the solution is simple: don't shop there. In any case, believing that a community can stop gentrification is akin to believing that you can build a sand castle below the high tide mark and protect it with a sand wall. It's not going to work. I'll admire your dedication and principal but your failure is inevitable.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MegGriffin. Show MegGriffin's posts

From my observations as a JP resident, I think the title of the discussion is misleading.  Whole Foods is not replacing Hi-Lo. Rather, Whole Foods happens to be moving into space that the owners of Hi-Lo decided to vacate.   As to the first act, Hi-Lo deciding to close, while I feel a void, perhaps I'd feel something more than that if the store wasn't as dirty inside as it was.  As to second and separate act, Whole Foods arrival, while they are pricey, I welcome them and will give them a chance to prove themselves.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jhbh. Show jhbh's posts

If Hi-Lo is gone (and it was a pretty grimy place to shop...) and a different store comes in to cater to a different clientele, isn't this a good thing for the local bodegas? Don't they have the potential to serve their latin clientele better than an impersonal large store can? And don't they tend to be family-owned and family-run? 

It seems like anything that helps the local bodegas helps the latin community and strengthens the fabric of the neighborhood. And more shoppers coming to the area will have an overflow effect to the other small family-owned businesses in JP. How is this bad for JP?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonsk8. Show bostonsk8's posts

Gentrification is spoken of as some type of horrible plague.  It is the result of the freedoms of our country, the freedom for people to use their hard earned money to purchase their own property to build themselves a home.

Sadly unless you own your property you have no claim to JP.  You are simply a visitor, you may have been visiting for 30+ years but in the end unless you bought the ground you live on to put down your roots you are actually living in someone else's house.

Massachusetts is a very expensive place to live, one of the reasons is because more people want to live in the Boston area then we have room for.  So the people that work hard and earn more money can compete for desired property and thus dislocate people that can't compete financially.

The dislocated should relocate to an area where they can compete given their financial resources, sadly in many cases that means moving far from the city or in extreme cases leaving Massachusetts.

At the end of the day, no one has the right to live where they want unless they own the land, or the owner cedes his right to them.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CapnVann. Show CapnVann's posts

I'll start paying attention to the people complaining about Whole Foods just as soon as they shut down Acapulco.

If you want to improve Hyde Square, start by shutting down the money laundering operations.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajr1021IA. Show ajr1021IA's posts

It seems to me that the way to approach the situation with Whole Foods is to welcome them for the jobs, improvements, and opportunities for healthy foods they provide.  Partner with them to see how the community can help them help the community.  The Whole Foods in the Boystown neighborhood of Chicago that I recently visited seems well-integrated and in tune with the surrounding neighborhood.  They partner with the Center on Halsted, an LGBT community center, and practice corporate responsibility.  Extorsion isn't the answer.  Partnership is and would benefit all parties.

Why is it that we just scream at each other instead of trying to see how we can help each other?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JPcoffee. Show JPcoffee's posts

I swear it still smells of Hi-Lo in the new Whole Foods... Tongue out

Sections
Shortcuts