What do you love about West Roxbury?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

Re: What do you love about West Roxbury?

In Response to What do you love about West Roxbury?:
    I'm new to the Boston area. In the few weeks I've been here, I've loved getting to see how each neighborhood offers its own mix of awesome restaurants and events. What are the must-dos for West Roxbury -- from bars to restaurants to whatever is awesome?  For a newcomer like me, what do I need to know about West Roxbury?
    Posted by BDCJoeAllenBlack

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

In Response to Re: What do you love about West Roxbury?:
    In Response to What do you love about West Roxbury? :
    Posted by BostonDotCom

It's close to everything -- Fenway, the T and commuter rail, supermarkets, good restaurants, schools. It's a village in the city. Plus, we can walk to so much, which is even better -- Roche Bros, the Highland commuter rail stop, the ball fields, school, good restaurants and stores on Centre St. Not to mention our good neighbors.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from gracecq. Show gracecq's posts

Not much.

Himalayan Bistro is great.

Boomerangs is cool.

Library is mediocre.

Commuter rail  is very good.

Very cut-throat environment. Not a happy place.

Lived here for 15 years. Get me back to the city. Fast.....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DanKat. Show DanKat's posts

Not much. Himalayan Bistro is great. Boomerangs is cool. Library is mediocre. Commuter rail  is very good. Very cut-throat environment. Not a happy place. Lived here for 15 years. Get me back to the city. Fast.....
    Posted by gracecq

Cut throat? What do you mean by that?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JudyHP. Show JudyHP's posts

I don't think it is cut throat.  If you are a good neighbor and are friendly people are very welcoming. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Cut throat in what way is West Roxbury cutthroat.It's definitly a very political section of Boston, so I'm wondering if that's what you mean. We are actually planning to sell and move to another neighborhood in Boston in the Spring and are doing a little research right now. Any suggestions would be great. bg.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from gracecq. Show gracecq's posts

I don't think it is cut throat.  If you are a good neighbor and are friendly people are very welcoming. 
    Posted by JudyHP

I think the neighborhood is very judgement and not terribly supportive. Just the If you are a good neighbor comment is very loaded. What constitutes a good neighbor: going to the right school, driving the right car, etc.

I think neigborhood works for some but it can be a very cruel place if you do not conform. Just my two cents...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from gracecq. Show gracecq's posts

I think the political angle does make it cut throat.

That is just one aspect of it, though.

I find the Parkway very rigid: This is how we've done it for forty

years, deal with it. We are important, you are not.

May I ask why you want to sell and move to another section?

I like Brighton and some sections of Southie and Dorchester.

No place is paradise but I get a little weary of the Parkway uber alles

vibe.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from caroljsheehan. Show caroljsheehan's posts

I lived in West Roxbury all my life and what I do love about it is the fact that its rich in history, its tree line streets, has homes that over 200 years old and some homes have big yards for kids to play in.  Yes West Roxbury is a very political neighborhood, but so aren't other neighborhoods in the city of Boston.  West Roxbury is a good neighborhood to raise your children in, its safe for the kids to play in front of their homes.  West Roxbury close to everything in the city of Boston and outside the city of Boston.  For my money West Roxbury is the most safest place to live in the City of Boston.  West Roxbury has some good schools to send your children too, such as Catholic Memorial, Roxbury Latin, Patrick Lydon School so on.  I love West Roxbury and no this neighborhood is not cut throat by any means.  The people who live here are wonderful people to get to know.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from caroljsheehan. Show caroljsheehan's posts

Not much. Himalayan Bistro is great. Boomerangs is cool. Library is mediocre. Commuter rail  is very good. Very cut-throat environment. Not a happy place. Lived here for 15 years. Get me back to the city. Fast.....
    Posted by gracecq

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

gracecq, yes the Parkway is very rigid, and hard to get into the clique. My husband and daughter and I are looking into maybe Roslindale, or J.P. My family are lifelong residents of Boston,and West Roxbury is the most unwelcoming neighborhood there is. My daughter goes to an exam school, and we love Boston,but West Roxbury is almost like a little town that doesn't want newcomers,so much so, that other Boston neighborhoods don't even consider West Roxbury as a part of Boston.I was born in West Roxbury, and lived here most of my life. Not so friendly now though.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Martha1. Show Martha1's posts

Hmmm.  I grew up in Scituate in the summertime (we are talking 1960 onwards) and had neighbors from West Roxbury (winter home).  I must say that (being a New Yorker of Irish ancestry who lived in Scituate every summer for 23 years),  the Irish types (Irish American, only) who lived in Scituate and who came from West Roxbury, Belmont, Milton, Newton, etc. were kind of snobby, almost all politically right wing if you ask me (some, not all) a little too concerned, perhaps, about how much money they had, etc. and my family was as well off as many but we didn't come from a winter town in NY where money was as, well, pushed.  I think that the Boston Irish liked to ape the old Brahmin class and go to Harvard (if they got in, as some of my Scituate neighbors did) or B.C. or someplace like that and then go to, say, law school, and then SOME, by no means all, then stayed within a certain social circle.   Is this what people mean about the "rigid" people on the West Roxbury Parkway?  I am only guessing.

I laugh about the conformity that posters mention in West Roxbury.  I mean, aren't a lot of residents just probation officers, teachers, real estate agents, Suffolk Law School grads, etc.?  Is that supposed to be fancy? 

I like West Roxbury, however, because I am blatantly in favor of living in a predominantly Irish type area, not out of prejudice (I hope) but simply because I like to be with people of similar cultural style.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BLSMom123. Show BLSMom123's posts

I am not a Boston-native and I am not an Irish-American, but I have lived in WR for 18 years. I thought this was a pit-stop on my way to a home Newton or Brookline, but fell in love with the mix of people who live here. The place is not racially diverse (a big problem in Boston, in general) but there is a fair diversity of middle-class socio-economic groups- teachers, cops, doctors, plumbers, lawyers & accountants. I have the absolutely best neighbors in the world. When my husband was ill with cancer they made sure my driveway & walks were snow-free, walked my empty garbage cans up the diveway and made meals. With rare exception, I have found  people here to be refreshingly down-to-earth & decent. It is extremely safe and convenient, but not suburban-sterile. Several good restaurants, yards for kids to play in, gorgeous playing fields at Millenium and every kind of shopping from Savers to Bloomies within a 5 minute drive.  Also, very easy to get into downtown!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from caroljsheehan. Show caroljsheehan's posts

Hmmm.  I grew up in Scituate in the summertime (we are talking 1960 onwards) and had neighbors from West Roxbury (winter home).  I must say that (being a New Yorker of Irish ancestry who lived in Scituate every summer for 23 years),  the Irish types (Irish American, only) who lived in Scituate and who came from West Roxbury, Belmont, Milton, Newton, etc. were kind of snobby, almost all politically right wing if you ask me (some, not all) a little too concerned, perhaps, about how much money they had, etc. and my family was as well off as many but we didn't come from a winter town in NY where money was as, well, pushed.  I think that the Boston Irish liked to ape the old Brahmin class and go to Harvard (if they got in, as some of my Scituate neighbors did) or B.C. or someplace like that and then go to, say, law school, and then SOME, by no means all, then stayed within a certain social circle.   Is this what people mean about the "rigid" people on the West Roxbury Parkway?  I am only guessing. I laugh about the conformity that posters mention in West Roxbury.  I mean, aren't a lot of residents just probation officers, teachers, real estate agents, Suffolk Law School grads, etc.?  Is that supposed to be fancy?  I like West Roxbury, however, because I am blatantly in favor of living in a predominantly Irish type area, not out of prejudice (I hope) but simply because I like to be with people of similar cultural style.
    Posted by Martha1

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Martha1. Show Martha1's posts

Carol,

Actually, of all the communities in Boston, I would choose W.R. as my "town", so don't get me wrong that I think that it isn't a great place in which to live.  I have spent many a happy afternoon there, shopping, visiting friends or eating at Friendly's (which I assume is still there).

I was writing mostly about my experience with the Boston Irish Scituate summertime crowd that I  spent over 20 summers living around (in Scituate), not only from W.R. but other places such as Belmont, Milton, etc.

I loved my friends and their families a lot!  So much fun and so funny, too!  But, reading other posters, I get the idea that some people have experienced some rigidity or snobbery.

That's all.
     I lived in West Roxbury all my life and what I do love about it is the fact that its rich in history, its tree line streets, has homes that over 200 years old and some homes have big yards for kids to play in.  Yes West Roxbury is a very political neighborhood, but so aren't other neighborhoods in the city of Boston.  West Roxbury is a good neighborhood to raise your children in, its safe for the kids to play in front of their homes.  West Roxbury close to everything in the city of Boston and outside the city of Boston.  For my money West Roxbury is the most safest place to live in the City of Boston.  West Roxbury has some good schools to send your children too, such as Catholic Memorial, Roxbury Latin, Patrick Lydon School so on.  I love West Roxbury and no this neighborhood is not cut throat by any means.  The people who live here are wonderful people to get to know.
    Posted by caroljsheehan

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

The challah from Cheryl Ann's.

Memories of the Westbrook Village cinema.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from conditionoakland. Show conditionoakland's posts

i love that commercial space can be leased more affordably than where we live in j.p., subsequently, my husband and i were able to open busted knuckle bicycle shop over two months ago on centre. our customers are amazing. i love the himalayan bistro, boomerang's, halls of tara, the shiny, renovated blanchard's, the porter cafe, wicked sharp, g.c. skate, they've all become favorites and have proven to be outstanding neighbors. i love the showing of support folks from the neighborhood have displayed, i must credit the folks over at main streets, they've been instrumental. i love the pride people take surrounding their properties, the lack of litter, the beauty of abundant plants and flowers. i am proud to have recently joined the irish social club and look forward to meeting more members of the community. i think things are changing for the better, i am excited to see what comes next.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bimmergal. Show bimmergal's posts

Not much- no really good ethnic restaurants, too many old people (driving on Centre Street is a challenge), people always complaing when someone tries to bring a new restaurant into town (they practically chased off the owner of Subway's on Centre Street), too many dogs.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

In response to reindeergirl's comment:

The UPS Store located in that same shopping area where the movie theater was lists itself as being in Chestnut Hill, not West Roxbury

I think that's funny

Btw, wasnt it Hancock Village?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to AcheNot's comment:

In response to reindeergirl's comment:

The UPS Store located in that same shopping area where the movie theater was lists itself as being in Chestnut Hill, not West Roxbury

I think that's funny

Btw, wasnt it Hancock Village?

Thought I'd stop by to see what's new in my old neighborhood. Lived on Chapin Avenue (off LaGrange by the tracks) untill I was 8, moved to Billings St (near VA Hospital) and lived there until I joined the USN (1964) to see the world.

It was indeed Hancock Village (used to 'hang' there) and became Westbrook at some point in the '60s. 

West Roxbury was a great place to grow up.  VFW Parkway probably one of the more attractive drives in metro Boston. 

Oh, and where I grew up was a political and ethnic mix, friendly neighbors and everyone looked after each other.  But times do change of course.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

Hi, ATJ

West Roxbury is a very nice area. I drive through it quite often. IMO, still one of Boston's finest neighborhoods

Q: Growing up in WR, did you ever hold a sign for Dapper at Holy Name Circle during election season? (Just kidding)

Happy Vets Day

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Ache, my man, when I was growing up the only thing I went to Holy Name circle for were the Saturday night dances at Holy Name parish hall.  And my primary interests were girls, football, basketball and girls.  Politics? Wasn't even sure what it was.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

Yeah, I was the same way. Politics had little appeal to me growing up

Most kids are like that though, I suppose. Maybe on election night my interest sparked a bit, but even then not really

Girls, huh? I heard you met a nice one from Readville. What ever happened to her anyway?:)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to AcheNot's comment:

Yeah, I was the same way. Politics had little appeal to me growing up

Most kids are like that though, I suppose. Maybe on election night my interest sparked a bit, but even then not really

Girls, huh? I heard you met a nice one from Readville. What ever happened to her anyway?:)

Ah, those Readville girls.  Gave her a break and married her.  49 years next May, two kids, two grandkids and quite a journey thus far.

What part of the old town do you call home?

Sections
Shortcuts