Fire Station - Arlington Center - "emergency" horn?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from amor. Show amor's posts

Fire Station - Arlington Center - "emergency" horn?

As a resident of 7 years in my beloved Arlington Center, I have one major issue which could push me to move away: the regular (non-emergency) use of the "emergency" horn in the Arlington Center Fire Station. Apparently, there are days when it is not used (blessed relief).  My understanding from asking around is that the practice is a remnant of the days when farmers worked in the fields. The horn would signal 12 noon for lunch and 6 pm-ish for dinner/end of day?  True or not, what is the current purpose of the regular use of the horn? I understand there was a petition to stop it within the last 5 yrs (?) or so, but it did not pass. My baby wakes up and has a nervous reaction when it sounds and it doesn't do my nerves alot of good either...I mean, even on SUNDAYS!
    -Am I alone here? Is there enough interest to move for another petition to stop the regular use of the horn as a timekeeper?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ascreamin. Show ascreamin's posts

Re: Fire Station - Arlington Center - "emergency" horn?

I came on to this discussion list to see if anyone was talking about this exact topic! I live close to the Arlington Center fire house and that horn drives me nuts! Yesterday my 2 1/2 year old fell down when walking by the fire house due to the horn- that's how much the horn scared him. I've always wondered if the horn has ever given anyone a heart attack? I'm all for tradition, but not when it's  needless and scares people and babies! What's the point? If you are aware of anyone working to put an end to the horn blowing, I'd love to know.
    Amy

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mccarthyp1. Show mccarthyp1's posts

I have lived in Arlington All my life and I am tired of all the complaining , from people who just moved into town, about the fire station horn and such. It's part of the town, the town history. I can remember as a kid, waiting for that horn to signal no school on snow days, You decided to live in the center knowing about the horn and such. It's as bad as if I moved near an airport than asked to stop the flights durning my sons nap time. Please, you knew what you were getting in to. If you don't like it move back out of town. Just stop complaining!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from amor. Show amor's posts

In Response to Re: Fire Station - Arlington Center - "emergency" horn?:
    [QUOTE]I have lived in Arlington All my life and I am tired of all the complaining ....

Interesting response! No, I did not know about the horn when I moved in. It did not sound when we looked at the apt., but to be fair, yes, I did continue to renew my lease. Things change when you have a child, I guess. Move out? As I said, this really is one of the things that could make that happen.  Is that really what you want for Arlington? To drive away growing families and the income that comes from them?  Good to hear feedback...I've been very curious to know what was behind this tradition.  Any other approaches out there?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from timmy121. Show timmy121's posts

I also have lived in Arlington All my life and I am tired of all the complaining . What did you say AMOR? Apt??? So you don't pay taxes in this town? Please GO AWAY!!!! YOU MOVED TO ARLINGTON Center . It's not the middle of the woods VERMONT! IT's an urban PLACE. I hoped you liked living in Arlington . Visit again sometime ! NOT!!!!!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from scrumpwell. Show scrumpwell's posts

Another townie lifer that loves it.  So love it or leave.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from timmy121. Show timmy121's posts

YOU BET LOVE IT OR LEAVE . ONce you pay some taxes then you can complain but before that don't let the door hit you in the you know what hehehehehe

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from amor. Show amor's posts

YOU BET LOVE IT OR LEAVE . ONce you pay some taxes then you can complain but before that don't let the door hit you in the you know what hehehehehe
    Posted by timmy121

it is clear the posters here are of one view, so I'll find another venue for this particular issue, however, just wanted to say: I believe my landlord uses the rent I pay to pay the property taxes...so renters are also a part of the community. As taxes increase, so does my rent =D  ....love you Arlington!!Cool

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ddsuburbs. Show ddsuburbs's posts

Hey Amor and other horn-haters: has anyone taken the noise issue up with the town? What sort of response have you gotten?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stephen007. Show Stephen007's posts

I've lived in 10 different towns in my life in this state of ours & each of them had a fire horn...I think the complaints are a bit petty...Living in the center loud noises should be expected regardless...Welcome to city life?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kd1pf. Show kd1pf's posts

I've lived in Arl. Center for 13 years and don't mind the horn.  It goes of at Noon and 6:45.  It also goes off when there's a fire.

I also like the church bells.  They all give a sense of community and it is helpful to have an external check on the time.

I grew up in a rural town where there was a horn that went off at noon, which was helpful also.  The town had a volunteer fire dept. so it went off whenever there was a fire to alert the volunteers.  I.e. a public service.

Moving here and complaining about the noise is like moving next door to a church and complaining about the bells on Sunday morning or moving next door to an airport and complaining about the jets.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WardWatch. Show WardWatch's posts

What happened to Arlington?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BEMYPAL. Show BEMYPAL's posts

What's wrong with you? Why so blunt?
    I have not heard this complaining much.. How come you are so tired of it?  Living in Arlington all your life does not make you some kind of exclusive bully moron ?  (well, Is that a typical  Bostonian thinking? No outsider in my town).  Maybe you should have lived somewhere else (town or state or country) sometimes, then you will undertand how difficult to adjust. Never been out?  And yes, renters pay taxes via landlords.. that;an  idiotic comment

I also have lived in Arlington All my life and I am tired of all the complaining . What did you say AMOR? Apt??? So you don't pay taxes in this town? Please GO AWAY!!!! YOU MOVED TO ARLINGTON Center . It's not the middle of the woods VERMONT! IT's an urban PLACE. I hoped you liked living in Arlington . Visit again sometime ! NOT!!!!!!!
    Posted by timmy121

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lawabiding. Show Lawabiding's posts

I was born and raised in Arlington and the horn in the center has always been.
    As a young girl we looked forward to hearing that horn. I am the Mom of two grown daughters and know full well babies get used to noises.
    It is a very poor excuse to say your child jumps or cannot nap because of the "horn"
    Arlington has changed with an influx of people from "outside" of the area...The Town does not look as nice as it did a few years ago...It has changed so much as far as the cleanliness and esthetics.
    I say leave the horn out of it and let something stay that has been there for many years.
    If it is because your child is scared, or cannot sleep? Move!
    Listen to church bells, listen to constant sirens, or traffic and see what noise is really like.
    Arlington is not in the woods, it is more like a city now. I say get used to it or move!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from penalty. Show penalty's posts

I came on to this discussion list to see if anyone was talking about this exact topic! I live close to the Arlington Center fire house and that horn drives me nuts! Yesterday my 2 1/2 year old fell down when walking by the fire house due to the horn- that's how much the horn scared him. I've always wondered if the horn has ever given anyone a heart attack? I'm all for tradition, but not when it's  needless and scares people and babies! What's the point? If you are aware of anyone working to put an end to the horn blowing, I'd love to know. Amy
    Posted by ascreamin

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from penalty. Show penalty's posts

WOW   I have four children and i dont ever recall one of them ''falling down'' due to a loud noise.Just a little dramatic, dont you think!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wowcanitbe. Show wowcanitbe's posts

How much would the town save in getting rid of this thing? I dont care about the noise, but I do care about the cost

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LarryJeffrey. Show LarryJeffrey's posts

Hi folks: I'd like to suggest a new habit before submitting a sarcastic or virulent reply to issues in this forum.....THINK ! Please take a step back and consider the fact that ANY organization, government or business that doesn't consider changes to life's circumstances in how it shapes its policies becomes IRRELEVANT ! Making a statement like "It's always been this way...why should we consider changing it?" just doesn't cut it anymore. We're you also someone who said "I don't want to pay any of my bills online" or "Why does a cop need a computer in his cruiser?"

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from penalty. Show penalty's posts

hi larry,i would like to suggest something to you.people have a rite to "submit" replies in any form they wish.larry please "step back"and let people state things any way they wish.maybe you should worry about your own habbits.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dover26. Show Dover26's posts

I think the Jason Russell House is looking a bit tattered and out of place in Arlington.  It may have lead paint or asbestos which my 2 year old might visit it someday and get sick.  It should be torn down immediately!
    I also think the gun display promotes violence, take it down and fill in the bullet holes in the stairs!
    I remember the horn scaring me as a little kid, and I can tell you the permanent emotional damage and hearing loss it has caused is nonexistent.  What I also remember is the excitement of it signaling no school.
    Please stop finding yuppie emergency excuses (things that are not likely to happen yet cited as a reason not to do something) for killing the traditions in a town which was built on tradition.  I can bet no one has had a heart attack because of the horn, no one has slipped and fallen, and it has not forced anyone off the road in sheer terror.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kd1pf. Show kd1pf's posts

What next, banning salvation army santas from bell ringing?

Sections
Shortcuts