School budget cuts

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ddsuburbs. Show ddsuburbs's posts

School budget cuts

What is your solution to the threatened school cutbacks? Where should Arlington cut? Is a tax increase in the offing?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrDAOZ. Show DrDAOZ's posts

Re: School budget cuts

a meaningful review of the towns budgets and a real cut in the services that are simply not needed anymore. Do we still pay for other towns trash? Do we really need another redo of mass ave in east arlington or is this just another go around for spending good money on worthless project like on lake street and route 2. That is the second time i've seen those traffic lights and curbing only to be removed 10 years later. Has anyone been watching the situation going on at Minuteman School, the money wasted by the superintendant on his lavish renovation of a house used by him and his family? Lets stop trying to make a point of hiding where the money is going to now and focus on leaving the police, fire and teachers alone for once. Some of the service now provided by the town are not worth what we are paying for. focus there

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from thinkingdem. Show thinkingdem's posts

In response to DrDAOZ

1 - One can always benefit from a in depth review of expenditures

2 - No we do not pay for other town's trash (did we ever?)

3 - Mass Ave project is a state/federal (not Arlington!) funded project

4 - Minuteman School's administrators renovation of his *private* residence is a private issue not one for you to consider 

5 - If you want to leave the police, fire and teachers alone then am quite surprised that you did not raise the issue of why the unions did not wish to join the GIC - Esp. since that would have provided a method by which your desire could have been mostly accomplished

6 - Paying for some services but not worth it - Which ones - The libraries, the schools, police, fire, dpw - Tell us vs. just complaining with generalized unsubstantiated babbling...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from peeteebee. Show peeteebee's posts

These are indeed tough times with no easy answers.  Simply pushing through a tax override is not the answer either, as it will just harm the citizens of Arlington, many of whom are out of work, living pay check to paycheck. 

At my place of employement, this past year, we were all asked, from executives down to entry level employees, to sacrifice the years pay increases in order to save some of our colleagues jobs.  The teachers and the union should likewise consider forfeiting their step increases, because, even though I readily admit that teachers are not paid enough as it is, doing so would save the jobs of some of their colleagues and fellow union constituents.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from VoteForChangeInMA. Show VoteForChangeInMA's posts

Coakley: Hi Mr. President! What do you need?

Obama: Here is how you will vote. Listen carefully. Remember, I got you elected.

BELIEVE!!!  Vote for Scott Brown!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from VoteForChangeInMA. Show VoteForChangeInMA's posts

Obama will now OWN Massachusetts after Sunday. Massachusetts will no longer have a CHOICE. Coakley will be forced to vote for whatever Obama tells her to. So much for freedom of CHOICE.

Vote for FREEDOM of CHOICE! Vote for Scott Brown!

The Boston Globe poll was WRONG!!! Up by 15 points??? Fuzzy math! The Globe is manipulating you!

Coakley == Obama Puppet
    Coakley == Higher Taxes
    Coakley == 2,000+ pages legislation to ruin our Health Care system

Coakley cannot win based on merit. Instead, Obama must try to win for her. Who's your Daddy Coakley???

Who's your Daddy Coakley???

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from VoteForChangeInMA. Show VoteForChangeInMA's posts

Martha, here is how you spell Massachusetts.

Vote for correct spelling, vote for Scott Brown!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from VoteForChangeInMA. Show VoteForChangeInMA's posts

Martha went NEGATIVE and published LIES. Mr. Clinton taught her well.

BELIEVE!!!  Vote for Scott Brown!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jobu2600. Show jobu2600's posts

I have a family member that use to be a school teacher in Arlington.  The town ALWAYS has a financial crisis.  

She had to deal with pink slips two of her first three years there.  You will never notice the town threatening the DPW or town hall workers only the teachers, cops and firemen.  

The problem with the school system is the parents in the town.  You have a good % of parents who think they run the schools and as a result make a teacher's life miserable.  I'm not talking about constructive criticism, I'm talking about them showing up to school and walking the halls every day.  What is even worse are the parents who think their child is an individual and request special attention for little Johnny.  I'm sure a lot of people aren't aware of the fact that the town pays for private schooling for children when the parents complain that their needs are not being met.

Because of factors like these Arlington always loses their young teachers to better school districts and is left with a lot of unmotivated older teachers that look at their schools like a revolving door.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GR9. Show GR9's posts

Put a hiring freeze on like the town side did more than a yer ago.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sailhardy. Show sailhardy's posts

1. Sue

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sailhardy. Show sailhardy's posts

1. Sue the law firm that investigated

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sailhardy. Show sailhardy's posts

1. Sue the law firm for malpracice for its flawed investigation of the e-mails and advising firing  the Ottoson pfrincipal and teacher in violation of the teacher contract.  The town has already blown several hundred thousands on this mess.  Time to recoup.

2. Eliminate positions in the superintendent's suite.

3. Eliminate several jobs in the town manager's overstuffed office.  Managing the town to annual budget crises needn't be so expensive.  And yes, the town did spend tax dollars on Framingham's trash some years ago, the result of signing a most unwise contract with the dump in  Saugus.

4. Review and revise benefits for heads of departments before thinking of cutting benefits for police, fire teachers, librarians, secretaries and public works.  

5. Make sure that part-time positions like selectmen, school committee, and various boards do not qualify anyone for pensions.

6. Retired personnel making over $100,000 in pension should have their pensions reduced by the amount earned in other municipal, state or federal positions after retirement. 

7. Sell or return all cars given to employees who can afford their own cars. 

That should be good for starters.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PARJR. Show PARJR's posts

Hey Thinkingdem, the reason that the unions didn't take the GIC, is because in February of 2010 GIC is increasing all their cost due to the fact that it is 35 million in the RED, you dope. Why don't you investigate before you speak?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Seagator. Show Seagator's posts

After 22 years in the Arlington Schools,my pension is $13,000 and out of that they take over 100 a month.  If the town realy wants my pension here do I send it?

Oh for the days of Velma Brown   Doris Cremens  Bill Carey  and Arthur Coughlin on the School Committee.
    '
    Why does Arlington elect people who are so liberal their brains will fall out...the one exception is Denise Burns.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from oldteacher. Show oldteacher's posts

I do not know about back east but here in Texas firing one football coach  would free up enough money to hire 2.5 math teachers. To eliminate the football programs would free so much money we could lower taxes.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from phil1963. Show phil1963's posts

Fire Kathie Bodie. She's useless.  She fell into the job and has showed her incompetence.  No vision, no leadership, just excuses.