What do you love about Braintree?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCJoeAllenBlack. Show BDCJoeAllenBlack's posts

What do you love about Braintree?

I'm new to the Boston area. In the few weeks I've been here, I've loved getting to see how each town and city offers its own mix of awesome restaurants and events. What are the must-dos for Braintree -- from bars to restaurants to galleries to theaters to whatever is awesome? 

For a newcomer like me, what do I need to know about Braintree?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from babydino. Show babydino's posts

Re: What do you love about Braintree?

Pond Meadow Park
    the Farmers Market
    El Sarape Mexican Restaurant 
    the Ross School

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCJoeAllenBlack. Show BDCJoeAllenBlack's posts

@babydino: I love a good Farmers Market. What's the best time to go?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeanMcD. Show SeanMcD's posts

The Farmer's Markett is held at Town Hall Plaza on Saturdays 9-1 as I recall.  Earlier the better generally in that vendors will have a full complement of their wares at the start of the day...and have much less by closing time.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dotti. Show Dotti's posts

Good luck to you if you are an outsider.  Your kids will never fit in if you are not a "townie".  I have never in my life seen such unfriendly neighbors as I have her.  Never had a problem anyplace else whether it be a work environment or a living environment.  My kids are grown and live in other places and still refer to the street we live on as "The Twilight Zone".  Even our mailman commented on how unfriendly people are!  I hope you have a different experience than we did.  After 25 years, I can't wait to get the heck out of here.  I have to say Braintree does have an excellent school system and that is the only reason I bought a house here. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kittykisses. Show kittykisses's posts

Location - close to major highways
    Location - close to public transportation (T and Communter rail)
    Location - low residential tax rate
    Farmers' Market
    Fourth of July celebration

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

Just bought a house in Braintree and have also lived in Braintree for two years already.  We chose to buy in the area for lots of reasons:

Location - can't find a place with an easier commute to Boston or access to highways while still being in the suburbs

Schools - don't have kids yet but Braintree has an excellent school system that rivals towns with much higher taxes

Taxes - some of the lowest property taxes around without sacrificing town services and schools (probably b/c of the revenue generated by the mall, etc.)

Regarding Dottie's comments on friendliness, I think that totally depends on the neighborhood.  At our rental in two years we didn't manage to meet any of our neighbors but that was a much more transient neighborhood.  Our new house is in a much more established neighborhood where many of the surrounding families seem to have been there for a long time and all seem to know each other.  We haven't even completed our move and already know several of our neighbors. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jorgeheywho. Show jorgeheywho's posts

I agree with most of the posts about taxes, convenience, and benefits of the town.  Cannot say much about the friendly aspects as I find you reap what you sow.  My neighbors always wave and chat occasionally without much fanfare and walkers in the neighborhood will often nod or say hi when working in the front yard.  So, I do think its nice place after 6 years of being here.

Its not Mayberry but its not a bad little town.  I sometime wish that I chose a town with bit more open space but when I need to go into Boston for work or social stuff, I can get there in a reasonable amount of time and realize that is quite a benefit.

I suspect that the town was a pretty quiet place at some point but development and growth has altered that feeling and sense of community.  My older neighbors tell me that the town has changed quite a bit and wish some of the progress had not occurred but I see efforts to retain some of the older character with its historical commision and efforts to keep the town clean and safe.

I find the old cobbler and hardware store in the square a pleasant reminder of a small town as well as Nancy's Barbershop where getting a great still occurs with a smile and nice conversation. 

So perhaps not love but I sure do like Braintree.

Sections
Shortcuts