How to enforce the cell phone while driving ban?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FredTheCat. Show FredTheCat's posts

How to enforce the cell phone while driving ban?

I was surprised to discover recently that Brookline (alone among MA towns, as far as I know) has implemented a ban on using cell phones while driving.  While I think this is a great thing, I see no evidence that it is being observed or enforced.  How about putting a fraction of the money that Brookline spends on notification and enforcement of the overnight parking ban, which saves no lives, and putting it into this effort, which could?  A big sign proclaiming the ban on every main road entering the town would be a good start.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from brjake. Show brjake's posts

Re: How to enforce the cell phone while driving ban?

How about de-activating all the cellphone towers in Brookline and not enabling people who don't have the discipline to keep their minds on their driving and their hands on the wheel? 

Companies who construct and operate the towers should be held criminally, civilly and financially responsible for injuries and damage caused by distracted drivers.

P.S.  The overnight parking ban makes the streets cleaner and safer than you can imagine.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from FredTheCat. Show FredTheCat's posts

In Response to Re: How to enforce the cell phone while driving ban?:
    [QUOTE]How about de-activating all the cellphone towers in Brookline...Posted by brjake[/QUOTE]

That's not realistic - it's hardly fair to penalize the thousands of law-abiding cell phone users in town for the actions of a few idiots.  As for holding the tower operators responsible, if there were a way for them to make their signals accessible only to people who aren't driving you might have a case for that, but there isn't.  There's no point in blaming the technology - that's just Luddite.  The blame belongs squarely on the (empty) heads of those who CHOOSE to phone and text while driving. 

I think the only approach that's likely to work is similar to that used against smoking - make it socially unacceptable.  And that starts with, at a minimum, making people who drive in Brookline aware that the law even exists.  I live here and was not aware of it for quite some time after it was enacted, visitors surely have no clue.

P.S. I can understand that it's easier to clean streets when there are no cars on them but that doesn't require an overnight parking ban - I used to live in Cambridge, which is absolutely draconian about towing every car in sight on designated street-cleaning days.  But safety?  I don't see that at all.  If anything streets would be safer if there were no parking allowed during the day, when there is a lot of traffic, rather than in the middle of the night when there are few cars on the roads.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ManusEtMens. Show ManusEtMens's posts

I don't know where you found that Brookline has a ban on using a cell phone while driving. I live in Brookline - it is not listed as a town bylaw. There was an attempt to vote such a bylaw at Town Meeting a few years ago, but I think it failed to get approval from the AG.

In Response to How to enforce the cell phone while driving ban?:
    [QUOTE]I was surprised to discover recently that Brookline (alone among MA towns, as far as I know) has implemented a ban on using cell phones while driving.  While I think this is a great thing, I see no evidence that it is being observed or enforced.  How about putting a fraction of the money that Brookline spends on notification and enforcement of the overnight parking ban, which saves no lives, and putting it into this effort, which could?  A big sign proclaiming the ban on every main road entering the town would be a good start.
    Posted by FredTheCat[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FredTheCat. Show FredTheCat's posts

[QUOTE]I don't know where you found that Brookline has a ban on using a cell phone while driving. [/QUOTE]

Dang!  I kept seeing references to it and assumed it existed.  Apparently it was in fact enacted by Town Meeting (as far back as 2000, if my sources are correct) but was shot down, as you say, by the AG for "conflicting with the commonwealth’s overall traffic regulation framework."  What an enlightened state we live in.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdarrryl. Show bigdarrryl's posts

[QUOTE] P.S.  The overnight parking ban makes the streets cleaner and safer than you can imagine.
    Posted by brjake[/QUOTE]

Is this true?  Show me the statistics.  How many lives has it saved?  How many more leaves have been swept up as a result of it?  We all know this is just a cash cow for the town.

The truth is I feel less safe with out the barrier of parked cars between me and the fast moving traffic.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bob808. Show bob808's posts

Such bans are stupid. People who can't handle cell phones while driving aren't likely to be any better handling a cup of coffee or a hamburger at the wheel, or a conversation with a passenger, or having a kid in the back seat, or tuning the radio. If nit-picky, pedantic control-freaks keep up their all-encompassing pursuit of other people's freedoms in their reckless pursuit of "safety," there'll be unconsciously suicidal people on the road with reduced motivation to avoid accidents. What about the self-fulfillling prophecies of traffic laws and road markings that convey, "exercising your judgment is prohibited" to drivers? And what about the disrespect for the law engendered by stupid laws?
    Ah, but there's more ego-fun in self-righteously proclaiming, "There oughtta be a law..." for every little thing than learning to be tolerant of others' faults, and a lot of cultural support for it these days. And there's always the need to have some population of second-class citizens to feel superior to.
    In a big country with 24-7 news cycles, the national numbers for dangerous events become staggering, and it's easy to find "grounds" for hysteria or control-freak safety programs. Yet the safer we get, the more anxious we get, like safety-spoiled children. We have huge life-expectancies, cures and treatments for many diseases, and the least safe cars of 10 years ago were safer than the best of 40 years ago. Get over it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wrd9. Show wrd9's posts

bob808 - The real problem is that, while technology has made us safer, the intelligence and common sense of people have devolved over the years. This has happened simultaneously with the rise of the welfare state. Coincidence? I think not!