Uniformed Officers playing Keno

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from newintown01803. Show newintown01803's posts

Re: Uniformed Officers playing Keno

In Response to Uniformed Officers playing Keno:
    [QUOTE]I understand that Burlington is not a high crime area.   That is one of the main reasons I have chosen to live here for the past 35 plus years.   I also understand that during the course of a work day people will run errands and complete some choirs during their break / lunch time.   With that being said am I the only one that finds it strange to constantly witness Burlington Police Officers in full uniform playing Keno and the lottery?   I find it even stranger that in almost every instance the police car is usually parked out front in a fire lane or some other emergency marked area.      
    Posted by rrr8rrr[/QUOTE]

I'm under the impression our town doesn't allow keno?  Therefore you can't be seing them play keno in our town.  Also Police officers get lunch breaks just like you would.  They should be allowed to do whatever they want on their own time, provided the can safely return to work after their break.  Sounds like nit picking to me.  You must be retired and bored?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rrr8rrr. Show rrr8rrr's posts

newintown your impression our town doesn't allow keno is 100% wrong.  Therefore I do see them play keno in our town in full uniform and parked in the fire lane.  Stop by the convenience store on route 62 heading to Wilmington any night and you will witness it as well.    

Sounds like you tried to nit pick my post but you are uninformed and uneducated on our town and the facts.  Better luck next time.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WardWatch. Show WardWatch's posts

Why dont you say something?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from newintown01803. Show newintown01803's posts

funny, The only place in town where you could have a chance to play keno is the Knights of Columbus IF they get approval from the state.  This general store must be in Wilmington.  Either way, again I say; while they are on break it's THEIR time.  I don't care what they do, provided they can get back to their shift safely and on time.  Maybe you pick on some of your democrat buddys that are running our state into the ground, and not the men and women that are here to protect us.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from newintown01803. Show newintown01803's posts

still no one has answered my question as to why it's a big deal that someone on their own time buys a lottery ticket?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rrr8rrr. Show rrr8rrr's posts

newintown01803, I now realize that details are not your strong suit.  The original post was not asking if it is okay to spend minutes of your time buying lottery tickets if you are a police officer (assumed it is a break).  The post was spending lots of time sitting in a convenience store playing multiple rounds of Keno while on duty, in full uniform and not your own time like or break like you mention.  The other complaint is the police car is usually parked out front in a fire lane or some other emergency marked area.   Again if you understood the post it mentions I have lived in town over 35 years unlike you “newintown01803” and I know Burlington from Wilmington.  Please stop embarrassing yourself with inaccurate and absurd posts.  You have been wrong in every instance so far. You are uninformed and uneducated on our town and the facts.  Better luck next time.     

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from newintown01803. Show newintown01803's posts

Oh I apologize I thought:

" I also understand that during the course of a work day people will run errands and complete some choirs during their break / lunch time.  With that being said am I the only one that finds it strange to constantly witness Burlington Police Officers in full uniform playing Keno and the lottery? "

Insinuated that they were on break.  I assume then you asked them that they were on break and they said yes.  My apologies, it's just that in a town thats thriving right now it seems a bit like your reaching.  that was my point. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from viggie. Show viggie's posts

Guy's there is more to life than wasting your time nit picking about what someone does with their free time. If you haven't done so already take up some of your spare time by volunteering some where like the library, recreational youth sports or even in the schools of Burlington and make it a better place to live for our friends and neighbors. That's what truely makes a great community. Peace brothers.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rrr8rrr. Show rrr8rrr's posts

Viggie & newintown the issue is not free time.  It is police in full uniform playing keno for hours on end with the car in the fire lane. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from newintown01803. Show newintown01803's posts

In Response to Re: Uniformed Officers playing Keno:
    [QUOTE]Viggie & newintown the issue is not free time.  It is police in full uniform playing keno for hours on end with the car in the fire lane. 
    Posted by rrr8rrr[/QUOTE]

My issue is; have you seen police sitting for hours on end playing keno in a fire lane?  I've literally never seen a cop in this town hang out anywhere for more than a few minutes.  I think your real issue is you have something against cops, or town employees that probably make more than you.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from neo2112. Show neo2112's posts

newintown - keno is available at the convenience store on 3A by the new location of Old Town Liquors, same plaza. stop assuming keno is somehow not available or illegal in Burlington; that assumption is incorrect.

I think the issue is it sets a bad image for the police dept when we see them waste time on Keno during the day.  I'm not saying they shouldn't be allowed to do it on their own time, but is it okay for a teacher to do it; do you think a parent would have a legitimate concern if they knew an educator was playing Keno on his or her lunch break?  By itself, there's nothing wrong with it. Once you begin to discover patterns and certain people might have gambling issues, how do you treat the problem then?  Etc.  Valid concern, IMHO.  FYI I'm in my early 30s and have only lived in Burlington for four years, so I'm not "retired and bored" as you assume the OP must be.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3877809. Show user_3877809's posts

If they are off duty, who cares what they do with their money? If they are on duty then they should know better and stop it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from newintown01803. Show newintown01803's posts

FYI sounds like "Neo2112" needs to take the stick out of his a$$.  Who cares what a teacher does on his/her own time.  that's the issue here no one knows if it was on his/her break or on his/her way home or to work. To expect anyone to go home and change and THEN go back out to do errands is ludicrous.  I've had the chance to meet several people in Burlington and it seems like there a lot of sticks in the mud around here. 

You know the value of my house has gone up 50k in the 3 years I've own it?  what other town in this area have growth like that?  Since i've lived here Burlington has added a beautiful park, a brand new elementary school, what will be a beautiful middle school, every highschool student has an ipad, TONS of great restaurants and other retail businesses.  All while our property taxes have practically stayed the same (2011 11.50 per 1,000 --- /> 2012 11.55)  Refering to my first initial post there is absolutely NOTHING to be complaining about as a resident of Burlington.  If a guy thats patrolling our streets and keeping our crime rate low wants to buy a freaking keno ticket who gives a sh!t?  People with nothing better to do...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from neo2112. Show neo2112's posts

"nothing" to complain about it is pretty strong.

You misread what I said, by the way, so spare me the flame war / troll crap.  I was implying that if a parent saw a teacher doing it, I can understand that parent thinking it might set a bad example. A teacher is supposed to set a good example, or are we throwing all standards out the window in the name of the "individual"? 

The issue I have with it is only the image it conveys, not necessarily with the people doing it. It's not like I'm making a federal case out of it and want to see it stop, I just sympathize with the OP.  I agree with you wholeheartedly on how great the town is otherwise, but that doesn't mean it's a utopia; people have a right to voice their concerns about public servants.

..but if you really want to see people nitpicking, try Lexington or Newton Laughing