New curbside recycling bins

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rwinters. Show rwinters's posts

Re: New curbside recycling bins

It's perfectly OK to continue to use the old bins. You can also request a smaller toter or go without the toter and have DPW retrieve it.

My building was set to receive two 95-gallon toters and I had them change this to just one 65-gallon toter. That will be plenty for my triple-decker. If I need to put out more recyclables, I'll supplement this with one or more of the old blue bins.

Robert Winters
    Broadway

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hndymn. Show Hndymn's posts

I'm glad to hear we can continue using the old bins.  That was not made clear in the literature. I have no space for even the "small" 65 gallon bin.

I hope people will continue to use the old bins for their returnables at least, for the sake of the people who have come to depend on them.

I happen to live in a small house on a rear lot, behind a triple decker, the owner of which is insisting on keeping their pair of giant, 96 gallon trash bins at my front door. 

Michael Buck
    Antrim St. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rwinters. Show rwinters's posts

You're absolutely correct about the returnables. I can easily see people tipping over the large toters in order to retrieve deposit bottles and cans. It will be good for everyone if returnables can be kept outside of the toters, and the good old blue bins may be the best way to do this.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from spikemom. Show spikemom's posts

I also have no clue as to where to keep that big thing. We have been getting along fine with two bins, and have made the space for them. The tall toter, with the attached lid (how can I put things into it when I have to hold the lid up at the same time?) is really unwieldy. If we fill it, I may not be able to lift it (sometimes I can hardly lift a filled bin) Why didn't they take a look at various houses and apartments to see where people keep their recyclables? Many people will leave them outside, and they are unsightly.It seems to me this bin is for the convenience of those who pick up the stuff, rather than those of us who have to keep it all week.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Krycek. Show Krycek's posts

I can certainly understand everyone's frustration.  I think that part of the problem was that only one flier was sent in the mail regarding this and most people probably threw it out or recycled it.

I saw on the flier that you did not need to take the new blue whales and called the city and told them that I did not want them.

We still have the old bins and the city did not deliver us the blue whales.  I called and opted out for the exact reasons that everyone is complaining about.  There simply isn't any room for them.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Realtor-Dave. Show Realtor-Dave's posts

I aso feel this may be a bit of a boondogle. What will happen when there are snowbanks on the sidewalks? These bins will end up blocking the sidewalks.

And here we're tryig to use less plastic, and all these perfectly good smaller bins get thrown away to make way for these larger bins.