How is snow removal in your town?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCDottie. Show BDCDottie's posts

How is snow removal in your town?

With Massachusetts buried under an unusual amount of snow, we're wondering how you think your town is doing in terms of snow removal. Would you give your community a top-of-the-class A-plus, a middling C, a flunking F?

Does it feel like the town is doing less than it has in previous years? Cutting corners because of the massive amounts of the stuff? Or are your streets clean as a whistle?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCJoeAllenBlack. Show BDCJoeAllenBlack's posts

Re: How is snow removal in your town?

My area in Medford seemed pretty good about 9 a.m. this morning. The roads to the Wellington MBTA stop seemed great.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from samoy2e. Show samoy2e's posts

My area in lynn the roads are not that bad and they were getting down to the bear payment when i got to work at 8;30 in the morning and i got out of my spot of where i live.

Now for snow removal, they haven't done that yet and they should.  the snowbanks are getting really highCool

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenebrious. Show tenebrious's posts

Roads are fine in Everett - A.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jennetravers. Show jennetravers's posts

the roads are ok in Quincy. just OK.
    the walkways, however, are another story.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mumbles. Show mumbles's posts

Here in Pembroke the town does a pretty good job of getting the snow off of the roads. Even the secondary roads. Kudos to the public works guys and assorted contractors that get it done. As for myself; I'm getting worn down by it all. Its a good thing I am retired and can keep up with getting our rather long driveway done so my wife can get out to her job in Weymouth. I ditched the snowblower for a Snow Sport aluminum plow a few years ago (it is manual lift, no hydraulics or electric) and it has definitely paid for itself. I also use a Toro electric snow shovel to do the area around the house (400 feet of paved driveway up to the house and then a 150 foot circle which is not paved.) and of course the old fashioned snow shovel as well. It has been one of the most ferocious winters I can remember.....Cool

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sure-Not. Show Sure-Not's posts

Snow removal is like a Planet Fitness commercial.  I pick it up, I put it down.  I pick it up, I put it down.......

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from heavyblaster. Show heavyblaster's posts

Somerville lifted its snow emergency at 6 pm, but most side streets are still only plowed down the middle. It's too narrow to park on both sides, and what spots there are already "saved" with chairs and other crap. There are NO available spaces to park for residents.

Why don't they enforce the "no saving parking spots" ordinance?? The current "tradition" turns everybody into selfish dillholes.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Anonymous13. Show Anonymous13's posts

Roads here are fine.  Hey - you guys should do an article on the parking space markers in my neighborhood!  Those stories are hilarious!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tjottahejti. Show tjottahejti's posts

Cambridge did a bad job with the past storms - along the small road where I live, there are ~20 parking spots where no car had been parked. The town didn't clear the snow along those parts of the street, and now there is definitely not enough parking left for someone like me, who dutifully shovelled out my car and cleared away all snow banks around it.... :(

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpd7. Show jpd7's posts

The City of Boston does not do a good job at all? They make all the residents of L Street move their cars as part of the "Snow Emergency". Well after the Snow Emergency is lifted. We residents come back to park on L Street and find that the snow is barely moved and is no way plowed curb to curb as it is suppose to be. That's why they make up move our cars. Take a ride down L street tonight. You would never know that this street is designated as a Snow Emergency Route which required No Parking during the Snow Emergency to allow plowing. This street was not plowed Curb to Curb as it suppose to be.  I bet the Mayor Menino's street is cleaned curb to curb and his street isn't a Snow Emergency Route.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from missweymouth. Show missweymouth's posts

I live in Weymouth and it is absolutely disgraceful.  Yesterday while travelling to my job in Dorchester, as soon as I crossed the line from Weymouth to Braintree, it was as though there was a line of demarcation - Weymouth - a mess - Braintree - right down to the pavement! 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ElmiraFudd. Show ElmiraFudd's posts

In Brookline, many landlords flat-out don't shovel the sidewalks around their buildings.  Add to this that the Brookline police are too lazy to write citations for this and you many random areas of potential disaster.  One area in particular is the corner of Rte. 9 and Clark Rd. where pedestrians coming to-and-from the T and bus stops and kids-and-teachers-and parents from 2 schools have to often walk on to Rte 9. with cars zooming by at upwards of 40 MPH;  I'm surprised there hasn't been an accident yet.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PattyH. Show PattyH's posts

Jamaica Plain is getting bad. There are gigantic piles of snow in yards, on the street (taking up valuable parking spaces) and at ends of streets.  I wish they'd come along in the Forest Hills hills/streets and take away some of these huge piles.  We have no where to park and I can't see to get out on Hyde Park Ave, as the snow banks block the sight of cars coming. 
    Please help us in Forest Hills!
    PJ in JP

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trimont. Show Trimont's posts

Terrible . The city of Boston places snow removal signs on main streets in Charlestown on Friday 1/28 and hasnt removed any snow as of 10.15 pm . Call the Mayors hotline and they have no knowledge of or explanation . The signs have been there all day and no action has been taken . Where are residents supposed to park ? Hyde Park ? Readville ?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from booboobehr. Show booboobehr's posts

Who is responsible for clearing bus stops? The city or the T? And who is responsible for clearing the sidewalks and bus stops that border Franklin Park on the Seaver Street side? 

Grove Hall is a mess. The city and the T have no regard for those of us using public transportation. plows push the snow into the bus stops forcing riders to climb over mounds of snow just to get on the bus. As the snow melts there are pools of filthy water. The 22 bus stops along Franklin Park (Seaver Street) are never cleared. When I get off the bus I have to climb down into knee high snow or get off into the narrow path of street between the bus and the snow covered 'sidewalk'. Once the bus pulls off the only place to stand is in the roadway in the path of speeding cars. I've complained to the city about this for years with no result. Someone is going to be seriously injured or killed. Remember when the kids from West Roxbury were hit on their way to school and the city and state played the blame game? 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kenalex. Show kenalex's posts

Lower Allston is a mixed bag. Main Streets are fine, secondary avenues are terrible. Sidewalks are hit and miss. Any sidewalks that are the responsibility of the city or certain businesses haven't been touched (in front of parks, etc) but Harvard and (most) homeowners have done an okay job.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from classymisscassie. Show classymisscassie's posts

The area of Allston I live in between N.Beacon & Cambridge Streets is an absolute disaster. Because the city plowed snow into open parking spots following past storms residents in the area have created their own spots, parking on corners and cramming cars in. Due to this "creative parking" plows weren't able to get down our street. However, they didn't even show up to plow until 1 in the afternoon so it wasn't until well into the evening when a bobcat and then bulldozer showed up to plow even more snow into saved empty parking spots and cover handicapped ramps on the street corners. 

I spoke with a few individuals at the mayor's hotline regarding plows repeatedly coming so late, I have 2 elderly neighbors who are not in the best health, and was told ambulances would be able to plow through. And then later regarding my roomate's parking spot which had been plowed in. I had asked if he would be able to park behind my car in our driveway, sticking only 2 feet into the street and next to a snow pile the city has made that sticks 8 feet into the street. I was told the law is the law and he would be ticked even though it wouldn't be causing any more issues than the snow pile already is.   

The city of Boston really needs to re-evaluate their budget or tap into some emergency funds since right now it seems like they are funding this half hearted snow removal using revenue from unjust tickets. It may simply be a nuisance for those looking for street parking and pedestrians, but for the physically handicapped and those who may have a home emergency it is a life threatening matter.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PragmaticAmerican. Show PragmaticAmerican's posts

In Upper Allston, spotty in places, good in others, and some...nothing nice to say about the landlords and their "do nothing" way of doing things.  There are sidewalks that are sheets of ice a foot thick, other places where they seem to believe shoveling a 12-inch wide half-assed path is acceptable.

Oh, and while I doubt he'll read this, to the kid who told me to "go around," while he blocked the entire sidewalk while talking about his non-life on his cellphone: if you ever say that to me again, I will sharpen your head and screw you into the sidewalk.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from s0xgirl. Show s0xgirl's posts

Allston is not looking good, especially any street that is not Comm Ave, Harvard, Brighton or Cambridge. Sidewalks look ok until you get to the end where they then drop off the face of the earth, I feel incredibly sorry for anyone in a wheelchair, looks like you're not going anywhere any time soon. And the number of parking spots have been cut in half.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sophie08. Show Sophie08's posts

In Response to Re: How is snow removal in your town?:
    Who is responsible for clearing bus stops? The city or the T? And who is responsible for clearing the sidewalks and bus stops that border Franklin Park on the Seaver Street side?  Grove Hall is a mess. The city and the T have no regard for those of us using public transportation. plows push the snow into the bus stops forcing riders to climb over mounds of snow just to get on the bus. As the snow melts there are pools of filthy water. The 22 bus stops along Franklin Park (Seaver Street) are never cleared. When I get off the bus I have to climb down into knee high snow or get off into the narrow path of street between the bus and the snow covered 'sidewalk'. Once the bus pulls off the only place to stand is in the roadway in the path of speeding cars. I've complained to the city about this for years with no result. Someone is going to be seriously injured or killed. Remember when the kids from West Roxbury were hit on their way to school and the city and state played the blame game? 

Posted by booboobehr

I contacted the T a while ago regarding this issue and was told the T is responsible for bus stops that have shelters.  All other open bus stops are the responsibility of the city. We know what that means..

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sophie08. Show Sophie08's posts

The streets in Medford are clear but people are forced to walk in the street because there is no ending to the sidewalks due to massive piles on the curbs created by the drivers who have plows attached to their vehicles. They are the worse offenders for creating a pedestrian safety hazard. Yell

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jane-O. Show Jane-O's posts

My particular neighborhood in North Cambridge has been forgotten.  Heaven forbid we ever need emergency equipment, they cannot turn onto the street.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wild73. Show Wild73's posts

Snow removal in Hyde Park is a joke.  I can't believe how terrible it is.  The side streets are all one lane in which they are usually two.  I give the city and F+.  Even last when the storm.  I try to flag down three plow of ten travel down River Street, they looked in my face and kept driving.  I could have been having a heartattack!! I live on 32 Riverside Square!  I hope when I get home I can get in my street.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wild73. Show Wild73's posts

In Response to Re: How is snow removal in your town?:
    My particular neighborhood in North Cambridge has been forgotten.  Heaven forbid we ever need emergency equipment, they cannot turn onto the street.
    Posted by Jane-O

I agree, same situation here in Hyde Park.

Sections
Shortcuts