Marijuana use

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ddsuburbs. Show ddsuburbs's posts

Marijuana use

What should parents tell their kids about pot smoking, now that voters in Massachusetts have passed Question 2 that decriminalizes up to an ounce of marijuana? And what do kids think about the passage of the ballot question?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from currenteventsenthusiast. Show currenteventsenthusiast's posts

Marijuana use

Parents should say the same thing they ought to have been saying all along, i.e. discouraging them from using it. Drug dealers see kids who use marijuana as a lot more likely to be potential customers for harder drugs. That's a fact and it's common sense. "Gateway drug" doesn't mean that chemically it gets you onto other substances; it means socially you are an easier target for other drugs. Plus, there really is no legitimate use for marijuana, no matter what lots of people claim.

Here's my official statement, as a "kid" (high school senior) on Question 2, which I wrote against it in October:
    http://starboardbroadside.blogspot.com/2008/10/no-on-mass-question-2.html

That's from the blog I work on, and "the paper" refers to the school paper.

It's pretty ridiculous for proponents to claim this will help anything. Decriminalizing one ounce still means police have to "waste time" (as proponents argue the status quo law has done) making sure users are under an ounce and then they have to file civil suits against them, if I understand the measure correctly. Decrim just means they won't be charged in criminal court, but it's still a civil offense.

The passage of Q2 doesn't mean the end of the world, but it's still a mistake.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from originalhuman. Show originalhuman's posts

Marijuana use

That, like everything else, in moderation it is not bad for you. Wait until you are older and use wisely. Questions like these make me wonder what parents tell their children about more dangerous, glorified, and accessible drugs like alcohol.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Denisohainle. Show Denisohainle's posts

Marijuana use

When my daughter was 15, I told her that I smoke pot and that she should wait until she was older to make any decision about what she wanted to do. She is now 25 and does not have any interest in drugs or alcohol. Luckily, she did not put me and her mother through what I put my mother and father through with my excessive use of drugs and alcohol.
    The only problem I have with decriminalizing an ounce or less is; the police take it away from you, and then what do they do with it? smoke it? sell it? I do not trust the police to do the right thing, which would be to turn it into the evidence room.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimeToRevoltAmerica. Show TimeToRevoltAmerica's posts

Marijuana use

Kids learn by watching their parents and absord the values that they are taught from a very young age. Closely monitoring who they choose as friends is critically important. I smoked pot once in my life, so if they ask me about whether I used, that's what I tell them, which is the same thing I tell them about smoking and tattoos and myriad other issues. They know we don't approve, and there will be consequences to their actions. http://timetorevoltamerica.blogspot.com

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LarryS. Show LarryS's posts

Marijuana use

ddsuburbs, as a parent, I'll tell my kids that passing Q2 was a mistake and that just because a majority of voters approved this question doesn't make it right. Furthermore, I'll emphasize that I disapprove of marijuana smoking as much as I disapprove of cigarette smoking. Yes, when they're no longer living at home (not when they turn 18, VTpowderhound), they're free to make up their own mind about drug use, but they'll have a consistent message since birth that this is nothing I approve of and that they'd be disappointing me terribly if they take this up. If other parents want to raise their children to believe that smoking pot is no different than drinking a glass of wine, so be it, but they'll never hear that from me.

currenteventsenthusiast, good for you. Please continue to ignore peers and adults like originalhuman and VTpowderhound that dismiss marijuana's ill effects. If you ever want to get high; climb a mountain, go skiing or skydiving, or learn how to scuba dive. There's a lot more to life than breathing in fumes from burning leaves and paper, and as someone over twice your age, I promise you that 20 years from now, you won't have regrets about not practicing this "lifestyle".

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LarryS. Show LarryS's posts

Marijuana use

originalhuman, you're honestly comparing cold and headache medication to pot? Sorry, but I don't pop Tylenol recreationally. If you're suffering from Stage 2 cancer and are smoking pot, my condolences, but something tells me that you just enjoy getting high. That's fine, for you.

I would hope that most of the voters that helped pass Q2 were just interested in getting simple marijuana possession to be a fine, but I suspect there are a good number of them that hope and pray that one day joints will be as accessible as a pack of Marlboro's. I'm hoping it doesn't, and I don't mind if a portion of my tax dollars are used to prevent that future.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from currenteventsenthusiast. Show currenteventsenthusiast's posts

Marijuana use

[Quote]Currenteventsenthusiast -- not to pick on a high school kid but I started to read your piece and gave up after the second paragraph. Your argument is built on false premise after false premise.

"marijuana, the entire demand side of the market would become legal, which would probably raise demand." Wrong.. You noted nary a paragraph before that it would be a civil infraction with a $100 fine.

"Some proponents claim legalization would reduce its use, but evidence from states such as California suggests otherwise." Are we opening pot dispensaries in MA? Legalizing for cancer patients? did you read Prop 2?

"[The fine is] essentially a weird tax on marijuana that is only collected occasionally." No, it's a fine. Are fines for littering a "weird tax" on littering? Fines discourage behavior.

At this point I stopped reading your argument..[/Quote]

It's absolutely ridiculous for you to think you are smarter because you are no longer in high school. Don't even try to assert that.

I said, in context, that decriminalizing marijuana legitimizes the demand side of the market. Of course it's a civil infraction, but that's way less of a penalty than criminal charge.

Regarding California, if you read the entire NYTimes piece and the accompanying video on the results in California, they actually discuss how use has risen, NOT including pot dispensaries.

And yes, thanks, I did read Question 2, but thanks for your concern anyway.

There's an oft-quoted saying, "If you want to stop a behavior, tax it." Taxes are often seen (correctly) as a subcategory of fines in many areas. That's why I called it a tax. The "weird" part referred to the idea that it was only collected occasionally.

Next time, finish reading the argument. You actually would have found that some of your criticisms of my argument were brought up later.

But you clearly feel too superior for that.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from teofeo. Show teofeo's posts

Marijuana use

Probably by the time my two year old is tempted to smoke pot, things will have changed dramatically. But if I had to sit her down and have the conversation right now, it would go something like this:

"Pot, like any substance, does not make any experience better, whether it be watching a movie or trying to live your life. In fact, substances make it harder to do just about anything. If you want to see what it is like, just remember that you are putting yourself at a disadvantage, physically and mentally. But, if you do go ahead and try it, please do not feel uncomfortable seeking me out, in fact, please do come to me and share your experience so we can learn from it. It seems like kids your age are too often driven to use and abuse drugs because the communication lines between them and their parents are do not encourage open discussion about their thoughts and feelings. I am here for you, as i have always been, to listen and to help you. I will not make you feel ashamed, nor will I punish you for being curious. Just stay open with me and you can't go wrong. I love you, now go do your homework."

Is that ok?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from eflynn28. Show eflynn28's posts

Marijuana use

[Quote]This is an area where parents would probably want to be very honest with their kids. As a result, the conversation could include ideas such as:

-while marijuana is relatively innocuous, and has many medicinal purposes, it is not a good idea for teens and others with developing bodies.

-the voters of the state showed great wisdom in ignoring the fear tactics used by politicians and law enforcement officials to decriminalize small amounts, allowing the police to focus their resources on much more important areas

-When teens become adults (i.e. age 18), they are free to make their own decisions about using marijuana. However, actions (i.e. driving under the influence) do have consequences! So, while the substance can be tried/used recreationally without harm, it must be done so responsibly.[/Quote]
    They are not free to make their own decisions about it after 18...it is still ILLEGAL!!!! What about that don't you get? Why would you basically give a young adult the OK to bteak a law once they turn 18?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Marijuana use

[Quote]Parents should say the same thing they ought to have been saying all along, i.e. discouraging them from using it. Drug dealers see kids who use marijuana as a lot more likely to be potential customers for harder drugs. That's a fact and it's common sense. "Gateway drug" doesn't mean that chemically it gets you onto other substances; it means socially you are an easier target for other drugs. Plus, there really is no legitimate use for marijuana, no matter what lots of people claim.

Here's my official statement, as a "kid" (high school senior) on Question 2, which I wrote against it in October:
    http://starboardbroadside.blogspot.com/2008/10/no-on-mass-question-2.html

That's from the blog I work on, and "the paper" refers to the school paper.

It's pretty ridiculous for proponents to claim this will help anything. Decriminalizing one ounce still means police have to "waste time" (as proponents argue the status quo law has done) making sure users are under an ounce and then they have to file civil suits against them, if I understand the measure correctly. Decrim just means they won't be charged in criminal court, but it's still a civil offense.

The passage of Q2 doesn't mean the end of the world, but it's still a mistake.[/Quote]

Give me a break. I know a ton of people who have gotten high at some time in their life and are contributing members of society. Some used to get high but stopped and others still get high. And they are all contributing members of society.

Getting High should be treated like drinking or having sex. It's a choice that adults hould be able to make for themselves. As far as what to tell teenagers, "everything in moderation" whether it be weed, alcohol, or food.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

Marijuana use

Typical, unfounded arguments from the anti-pot crowd: guilt, fear and misinformation.

I encourage everyone with a modicum of interest in the issue to please educate yourselves from as many sources as possible concerning the history of drug laws and enforcement of same in this country, particularly in the last 40 years or so.

Whether or not one agrees with either the lifestyle choice of smoking marijuana OR the medicinal benefits thereof (both have credible arguments), those issues are entirely separate from the legal ramifications and history of public policy as related to drug laws.

As Americans, we MUST differentiate between personal decisions as part of our inalienable rights and PUBLIC decisions in terms of the rule of law and government policy. These actions and their consequences are not mutually exclusive, and confusing them for the sake of some perceived "morality" is as wrong as it is in direct opposition to the American way of life.

If one believes in America and its promise of freedom, then one has the responsibility to be informed about our government's policies and actions on behalf of those policies.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LarryS. Show LarryS's posts

Marijuana use

>>Getting High should be treated like drinking or having sex. It's a choice >>that adults hould be able to make for themselves. As far as what to tell >>teenagers, "everything in moderation" whether it be weed, alcohol, or >>food.

What a wonderful attitude for raising kids. Everything in moderation. "Hey son, I understand your friend Timmy passed out from huffing and spent last night in the hospital. You know I'm not in favor of you doing that, but as long as it's not too often and you're careful, go right ahead."

If you honestly believe that teenagers *should* be having sex, smoking pot, getting drunk, experimenting with interesting ways to get wasted, then by all means promote your "everything in moderation" position.

As for me, I'm not going to disown my children if they do any of these things, but they'll hear a consistent message that I think it's wrong. No need for me to send mixed messages about moderation. You'll find that most kids actually need boundaries.

Oh, and before someone brings up the lame "all kids do this", no they don't. Show me a single teen risk survey where 100% of any group said that they're having sex, getting drunk, etc. You can't find such a survey because it doesn't exist. That's not denial on my part that these temptations don't exist, it's knowing that they do exist, so it's important to have a consistent message on how you want your children to behave.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LarryS. Show LarryS's posts

Marijuana use

>>Typical, unfounded arguments from the anti-pot crowd: guilt, fear and >>misinformation.

No guilt. No fear. I had roommates that smoked pot. I had no interest in joining them. They understood. I bear no ill will towards them.

/>>Whether or not one agrees with either the lifestyle choice of smoking >>marijuana OR the medicinal benefits thereof (both have credible >>arguments), those issues are entirely separate from the legal >>ramifications and history of public policy as related to drug laws.

You call it a lifestyle choice. I call it risky and (despite Q2 passing) illegal behavior.

/>>As Americans, we MUST differentiate between personal decisions as part >>of our inalienable rights and PUBLIC decisions in terms of the rule of law >>and government policy. These actions and their consequences are not >>mutually exclusive, and confusing them for the sake of some perceived >>"morality" is as wrong as it is in direct opposition to the American way of >>life.

Morality? Not for me. I also believe in seat belt laws. I don't believe that Americans have a fundamental right to drive a car without wearing their seat belts and have no problem with drivers being fined for not wearing them.

/>>If one believes in America and its promise of freedom, then one has >>the responsibility to be informed about our government's policies and >>actions on behalf of those policies.

Let's see. I don't use illegal drugs. My friends and family (AFAIK) don't use them. If there are laws on the books making these drugs illegal to sell and (to some degree) possess, that doesn't affect me in a meaningful way. I don't want my kids to use them. Getting back to the original point on this forum, it's pretty clear what the message should be to my kids.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from currenteventsenthusiast. Show currenteventsenthusiast's posts

Marijuana use

[Quote]

Give me a break. I know a ton of people who have gotten high at some time in their life and are contributing members of society. Some used to get high but stopped and others still get high. And they are all contributing members of society.

Getting High should be treated like drinking or having sex. It's a choice that adults hould be able to make for themselves. As far as what to tell teenagers, "everything in moderation" whether it be weed, alcohol, or food.[/Quote]

Perhaps you didn't mean to hit reply to my comment... but I'm a little unclear on what yours has to do with mine.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mumbles. Show mumbles's posts

Marijuana use

Don't like pot? Great...don't use it. Don't want your kids to use it...great; tell them not to. But.. leave those of who know how to use such a "gateway" drug as pot alone. If alcohol is to be legal. If cigarettes are to be legal. Both of which can kill..unlike pot (despite the propaganda claiming otherwise) Then pot should be as well. Legalization would enable greater control and taxation. Just as it did with alcohol. I'll bet many of you "holier than thou" soap box preachers drink beer or wine or harder stuff from time to time. As a matter of fact, statistics show that many of us do.... a lot of the time. And your kids are getting it to. And driving drunk. Great...hypocrisy. Lets teach hypocrisy....."It's ok if I drink"..."alcohol is legal after all". Hypocrites...one and all. People voted to decriminalize becaause of common sense.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwestebbe. Show dwestebbe's posts

Marijuana use

The legal status is irrelevant. Drug use is a health issue.

Parents should teach their kids that excess use of alcohol, despite being legal, can cause problems, and that excess use of other drugs, whether legal or not, similarly can cause grave health problems.

The criminalization or decriinalization of marijuana is irrelevant to the message that parents should be giving to their kids.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TarheelChief. Show TarheelChief's posts

Re: Marijuana use

One should always fear the legislature for they represent the public view. They can give,but they can take away. In the case of marijuana the public will follow the path set by alcohol and tobacco and tax it heavily. The legislature will then make a violation a problem since it mean if you smoke illegal pot you will be avoiding taxes and thus subject to even harsher penalties for a longer period of time.The state,localities,and federal tax authorities have long memories.
    I am surprised students do not know about insurance companies. What insurance company will insure an employee smoking pot?What employer will allow someone smoking pot to join their organization?
    Ask the students after their friends got caught driving drunk.
    How did their premiums rise? What will happen to their premiums if a person is caught under the influence of pot?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TarheelChief. Show TarheelChief's posts

Most marijuana users assume the cost of doing business lies in the per joint cost. They seldom if ever mention the cost of lawyers,court costs,job loss,and other unpleasant side effects.
    They hope they can eliminate these costs with legalization.
    Why would they think these costs would evaporate?
    Have bootleggers managed to escape these costs? Liquor has been legalized for ninety years.
    No,the problem is a tax problem and users should focus on the taxes which will be created.And then they should examine the life of the bootlegger who is not treated as an innocent user. How will pot users pass off their illegal drug to a revenue agency of the state,local,or federal governments who will all have regulations.
    They also seem to think insurance companies will employ a double standard,one for liquor users,and one for the pot users. The term impaired never appears in any discussion of pot. Why is this not used?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from richarddavis1. Show richarddavis1's posts

Coolaurangabd city in india ..it famous for ajanta nd ellora caves...
    My Town

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SwizzleSticks. Show SwizzleSticks's posts

In Response to Marijuana use:
    originalhuman , you're honestly comparing cold and headache medication to pot? Sorry, but I don't pop Tylenol recreationally. If you're suffering from Stage 2 cancer and are smoking pot, my condolences, but something tells me that you just enjoy getting high. That's fine, for you. I would hope that most of the voters that helped pass Q2 were just interested in getting simple marijuana possession to be a fine, but I suspect there are a good number of them that hope and pray that one day joints will be as accessible as a pack of Marlboro's. I'm hoping it doesn't, and I don't mind if a portion of my tax dollars are used to prevent that future. 5434419382464711572
    Posted by LarryS

I disagree.  There is a woman who worked at my office who had stage 3 breast cancer.  She had to take medication in the form of pills but couldn't keep them down because she was throwing everything up due to the chemo treatments.  Her doctor told her to go get some pot.  She told me that it is the only thing that helped her nausea (she did try other methods) and she was finally able to not only hold down food, but her medication as well.  Today she is cancer free thanks to the chemo/radiation treatments and the pot that was helping her keep her medications down. 

There is a definite reason why so many doctors recommend marijuana for medicinal purposes and it surprises me how the general public chooses to ignore this.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbtshoes. Show mbtshoes's posts

[url=http://www.bottes-ugg-bottes.com/bottes-ugg-classic-bottes-ugg-classic-mini-bottes-ugg-mini-classic-en-chocolat-couleur-p-509.html] Bottes Ugg Mini Classic [/url][url=http://www.bottes-ugg-bottes.com/bottes-ugg-classic-bottes-ugg-classic-mini-classic-bottes-ugg-en-couleur-marron-p-510.html] Classic Bottes Ugg [/url][url=http://www.bottes-ugg-bottes.com/bottes-ugg-button-bailey-bottes-ugg--belgique-en-boutons-marrons-p-485.html] Bottes Ugg Belgique [/url][url=http://www.mbt-shoescom.com/air-max-shoes-mens-nike-air-max-2009-mens-shoes-blackyellow-p-237.html] Nike Air Max 2009 mens shoes [/url][url=http://www.mbt-shoescom.com/air-max-shoes-mens-nike-air-max-90-shoes-mens-blackblue-p-235.html] Nike Air Max 90 shoes [/url][url=http://www.mbt-shoescom.com/air-max-shoes-mens-wholesale-air-max-mens-silverblue-shoes-p-239.html] Air Max Men's [/url]

Sections
Shortcuts