What would it take to get commuters out of cars and into trains?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCKmin. Show BDCKmin's posts

What would it take to get commuters out of cars and into trains?

A traffic surge is predicted on Route 128 with the expected growth in jobs and building development along the corridor. The highway is above capacity at 200,000 cars per day, and it is expected to increase to 350,000 cars over the next decade. Read more.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sweetz10. Show Sweetz10's posts

Re: What would it take to get commuters out of cars and into trains?

What got me using public transportation was a desire to be more productive so I figured if someone else was driving then I could read or work. I ended up being able to do that as well as met some very cool people that became friends.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from peru9800. Show peru9800's posts

A more efficient public transportation system. The current system was likely put in place piecemeal as population grew without considering the big picture (or an inability to implement ideal designs due to budget constraints). 

Using the T requires too many people to make multiple changes (bus to train, red line to green line, etc) to reach their destination. This is both inconvenient and time costly, not to mention unpleasant during our winters. It also requires people to first commute into the center of the hub and then back out in a different direction. Look a London's Underground map, they use trains that run in a loop around the city center to connect different lines.

Having two commuter rail stations (North and South Stations) is inefficient as well. Ideally there would be one central station or, at a minimum, a direct link between the two but even this requires a Line change.

Specific to Rte. 128, a light rail system that paralleled the highway with stops at current public transportation sites, commercial areas, and key residential points could be revolutionary. Add thoughtful parking at each end and the middle of the system (for North Shore, South Shore, and Western based commuters) and this could be revolutionary.

Make an efficient, pleasant train experience and more people will use it generating more revenue and reducing traffic.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peteyboy123. Show Peteyboy123's posts

We should put in public transportation along the major freeways like routes 128, 93, 495 or the Mass Pike. This would give people an alternative to driving on the highways. Using a hybrid system, people could drive from their homes to parking garages along the major highways. Take the T alongside the highway and vans employed by companies or the MBTA could get people from the closest stations to their workplaces. Eventually we should connect the T lines that go into boston to 128 and 495, like the spokes of a hub. Doing this now in areas that aren't as built up, like on 495, could save a lot of money.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sweetz10. Show Sweetz10's posts

They used to have a train that went up and down Rte 9 that my grandfather used to tell me about but I don't know any more details than that unfortunately.

Anything that saves commuters time and money would be essential. Both are limited resources.