A new vision for Malden Center

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from voteforme. Show voteforme's posts

Re: A new vision for Malden Center

"Build it and they will come" Only in the movies!  It seems to me, it's just a last ditch effort by a city thats going under. Look at Lynn and Brockton.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from anotherman. Show anotherman's posts

Well, it looks the MRA is going to vote on the proposal of the ballpark, and I suspect it will pass the board.

The Mayor and the MRA are such in a rush to get this development going, but I have the funny feeling that it will not turn out to be the boon for this city that these public officials would hope for.

Let's hope Malden taxpayers don't get saddled with cleaning up the mess if this project goes south, but I won't bet my life on this not happening.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from firstshirt. Show firstshirt's posts

If it happens,and it will,if it doesn't work out you'll see the city take it over and then use it for local athletics such as Malden High and you'll see McDonald Stadium and Callahan Park sold for development to sort of offset the cost of keeping the stadium.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppymal. Show poppymal's posts

In Response to Re: A new vision for Malden Center:
    If it happens,and it will,if it doesn't work out you'll see the city take it over and then use it for local athletics such as Malden High and you'll see McDonald Stadium and Callahan Park sold for development to sort of offset the cost of keeping the stadium.
    Posted by firstshirt

You are right! That is what they will do! It will take a while but that is the likely scenario. Malden and other lousy towns always find a way to sell public land to developers. The developers (and who else) profit, the town becomes worse, more dense, needs more services and on and on.
    Everyone knows that this is what they have done to ruin this town. Overbuild, overdevelop. 
    Actually a lot has been ruined in just 3 or 4 decades. Manufacturing was replaced with development. Think of it. Malden, Medford, Revere, Saugus, Lynn... has development/more density made any of these places better? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4048808. Show user_4048808's posts

Density is not the cause of our decline.  To my knowledge Medford is fine. The others may support your point, but then I can point out the increasing density of Quincy, Cambridge, and Sommerville have been good to those cities.  Unless you don't count their developments as increasing density.  

What I agrue for Malden Square is we need a real streetwall.  The ability to walk down and feel like you're in an active town center.  The feeling you get at a lively mall or Havard Square or Davis Square.  

This is accomplished by two directions: enough continuous retail stores and stores worth shopping at.  

We haven't been doing too well on that, we leveled a block of retail on Main Street for a parking lot and another block on Pleasant St. for a Condo.  Can someone explain why we did that? Especially the parking lot.

In some ways, the response to GetActive and anotherman demonstrated my point.  GetActive listed that we actually have a number of stores of decent interest.  Anotherman shows we lost a number of them - the matress stores is completely disconnted to the rest of Malden Sq.  

If you think about it, we actually have a good number of stores.  Unfortunately divided by a highway, parking lots, a couple of auto repair stores and several suburban style office buildings.  Oh yeah, and don't forget City Hall.

If only we can crunch them all the stores together (the ones on Ferry with the Super 88 area and etc), we can have a decent center... but that's not possible, we can can sew them (well enough of it).  

That means City Hall and the Police Station needs to stop isolating Pleasant Street.  Exhange Street actually needs join Pleasant as a full on retail area instead of the mostly dead zone it is.  This mean that office building block Rt 60-Commericial Street-Exchange Street needs to go too.  Along with City Hall and its police station on the other side.  Also something needs to be done about the Super Fitness block.

Fortunately, there are plans for City Hall and the Super Fitness area.  

To my hopes, the ballpark could add a lot of the city (c'mon people, what's there now is a fenced asphalt wasteland anyway).  It's role, if done right, is help expand Malden Square to actually feel like a significant city center.  With City Hall and the Super Fitness, it might do enough to knit them all together.  

Though this is a BIG if.  Right now Super Fitness is another condo with no retail.  That won't connect the ball park with Pleasant Street.  The City Hall thing is only on a wish list so far too.  Then's there stilll more to be done as Rt 60 needs to be soften (though I hope the people who wants the Ballpark will do that, it's in their interest to see that happen) and then there's that office block in the way too. 

All of that, and that's only for the first requirement.  The second, the right shops.  That's a different challenge.  First though, I want to say ethnic shops is probably a net positive I think.  I don't think the Pho restaurants damage us, actually I think it makes the square more interesting.  People love going to squares to eat food, so the more variety of food shops, the better.  Though I will admit having 3 Pho shops might be overkill, though I can also argue that if our center is not a single street, it wouldn't feel so over-saturated.  

That said, what is true is the dollar stores needs to go.  We do need more variety of stores.  Whether it is specialty shops, bars, and/or restaurants, they can provide what the our center needs.  Hopefully the ballpark can help with that (probably in the bars/restaurants front).

All of this said, this assumes alot on the success of such developments.  If the ballpark busts, city hall sits, and superfitness just become another condo, we get more of the same or worse.  The scenario above will probably what will play out.  But, I can see a chance with the help of the Ballpark.  It might greatly help us or it might just bring us a little worse version of the same.  But I know if we don't do it, I am willing to bet that it will be more of the same.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hellgirl. Show hellgirl's posts

Hm. I'm sorry. What's wrong with Medford? And Revere actually has more to recommend it than Malden does these days. They've significantly cleaned up their waterfront and we started spending weekends there rather than driving to Nahant.
    In Somerville, Cambridge and Quincy, retail and residential development has been a boon - but what ALL of these communities have in common is that they focus on the arts first. Malden has an active arts community that is largely ignored right now, especially in terms of transformation downtown. Granted, the art building conversion and the switch box projects have been nice - but the arts building has done nothing to revitalize downtown and I don't believe that's because the art community as a whole hasn't been trying.

Downtown is a joke. The ballpark is going to compete with Fenway (Lynn, Saugus, and other outlying areas would have less competition) and while Somerville was voted the "Trendiest/Best" destination in greater metro area last year, Malden still insists on dying on the vine.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4048808. Show user_4048808's posts

I'm sorry. What's wrong with Medford?

Yes, what's wrong with it?  Medford Square actually feels like a square.  There's actually a number of nice shops instead of vast parking lots, condos, and dollar stores with a few decent one between them.  Earlier posts shows people go out there to shop.  

ALL of these communities have in common is that they focus on the arts first

This is need a greater explanation.  

To me Cambridge's success is fueled Havard and MIT with the other half dozen schools acting as their "anchor stores" while been playing very smart with their development opportunities (They aren't knocking down stores for parking lots and condos).  

Somerville's success have lied with making the most of Transit Oriented Development as well as smarter development strategies.  It also helps they have a mayor who is actualy active for their city (a large reason why the Green Line Extension - while dragging on its feet - haven't been cut off or turned into another Silver Line is his active and public advocacy including taking legal measures).  

Quincy's success, I have analyzed less of it.  I know they are betting big with their billion dollar development, like our ballpark.  I suspect either it will turn itno Urban Renewal Nightmare 2 (Electric Bugaloo) or rapid transformation from a nice center to a very nice urban center.  The stuff they did to this point have played better than us (though it's really, really hard to play our hand any worse than we did given what cards been given to us).  

I can also point out another area - though small - that is built nicely.  The new Station Landing TOD of Wellington Station.  It's unfortunate that it is hemmed in by 2 highways and a railyard, but what is built of those 4 square blocks is really nice.  Their success follows much of the same reason why the 3 cities above have done well.  They built (or much of the above 3 cities maintained) a street wall that is actually feels continuous.  They played their cards better (we turned our backs to Malden Station - they incorporated the stations).  

In short, it was better design and planning.  An intentended or unintended philosophy to people in the pedestrian scale rather than buidlings or cars (admittedly some are given with better cards than others - Cambridge is given a gold mine to be honest).  

He explains better than I do.  At least watch from 5:00 to ~8:00.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppymal. Show poppymal's posts

Density has ruined so much. 

We haven't been doing too well on that, we leveled a block of retail on Main Street for a parking lot and another block on Pleasant St. for a Condo.  Can someone explain why we did that? Especially the parking lot.

Reason for the condos: the residents will live, eat and shop in Malden and revitalize Malden Sq. (Howard wanted that project). River's edge: the residents will live, eat and shop and revitalize Malden. The towers to be at superfitness? The residents will live, eat and shop in Malden and revitalize the Square. (Christenson wants this project).
    The parking lot at Main st: As far as I know, the old buildings were taken down for development (inappropriate in the nicest historic area in the city) but then the developer did not have the money. Citizens have asked for something nice to be there, a park (other town centers have parks) but Malden says no. So it remains a lot until sometone wants to build a residential tower there becasue the residents will live, eat, shop in Malden and revitalize it.

Medford did the urban renewal that Malden did and ruined their sq too. That is why they are always fiddling with it and trying to get something nice back. Copeied form the link below:

Good as it is, Springstep suffers from a terrible site. Medford Square was once a place of dignity. But today the elevated I-93 highway roars past City Hall, and a hideous AmeriSuites hotel looms behind it. Traffic engineersor perhaps evil prankstershave created a tangle of asphalt roads and parking lots so ugly and confusing you feel lucky if you and your car get out alive. You're never aware that the Mystic River is a few steps away. Medford Square is a textbook example of the destruction of American urban life by the automobile.

Slummerville? Really? Someone once politely, sweetly, asked me to not take him back to Cambridge via McGrath and Somerville. I did though. Somehow I do not think the trip down main st to route 99 would be any better.

Quincy is a failure too which is why all their hopes are that the billion dollar development builds them a new and sucessful city.

I spend the days of my life in ugliness and it was not always that way. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4048808. Show user_4048808's posts

In Response to Re: A new vision for Malden Center:
    Density has ruined so much. 

Okay. Let's look at your reasoning.

Reason for the condos: the residents will live, eat and shop in Malden and revitalize Malden Sq. (Howard wanted that project). River's edge: the residents will live, eat and shop and revitalize Malden. The towers to be at superfitness? The residents will live, eat and shop in Malden and revitalize the Square. (Christenson wants this project). The parking lot at Main st: As far as I know, the old buildings were taken down for development (inappropriate in the nicest historic area in the city) but then the developer did not have the money.  Citizens have asked for something nice to be there, a park (other town centers have parks) but Malden says no. So it remains a lot until sometone wants to build a residential tower there becasue the residents will live, eat, shop in Malden and revitalize it.

From the above, what achived the opposite effect is not the condos, but the destruction of our street wall.  What good is having more people to "live, eat, shop in Malden" when there's no decent stores to shop in malden.  That's not an argument against density.  That's an example of poor city planning where somehow the leadership don't see the absurdity of cannibalizing oneself to save oneself.  

Medford did the urban renewal that Malden did and ruined their sq too. That is why they are always fiddling with it and trying to get something nice back. Copeied form the link below: Good as it is, Springstep suffers from a terrible site. Medford Square was once a place of dignity. But today the elevated I-93 highway roars past City Hall, and a hideous AmeriSuites hotel looms behind it. Traffic engineersor perhaps evil prankstershave created a tangle of asphalt roads and parking lots so ugly and confusing you feel lucky if you and your car get out alive. You're never aware that the Mystic River is a few steps away. Medford Square is a textbook example of the destruction of American urban life by the automobile. http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/boston/access/777498291.html?FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:FT&type=current&date=Jan+9%2C+2005&author=Robert+Campbell%2C+Globe+Correspondent&pub=Boston+Globe&edition=&startpage=N.7&desc=AMID+TRAFFIC+TANGLE%2C+ARTISTIC+GEM+GLEAMS+%3B+SPRINGSTEP+CENTER+RISES+ABOVE+ITS+SITE+IN+MEDFORD+SQUARE

While walking around the Square itself, I found it still nice, I can see it is likely had much more glorious past as many Squares do, but it's no that bad overral.  

The final line of your own quoting is "Medford Square is a textbook example of the destruction of American urban life by the automobile."  It blamed the automobile - in the case for Meford itself, our leaders' wisdom rammed a highway though the center of Medford Sq.  So from your logic, highway ramming through former buildings = density.  

Do you see the flaw I am point to this supporting argument?

Slummerville? Really? Someone once politely, sweetly, asked me to not take him back to Cambridge via McGrath and Somerville. I did though. Somehow I do not think the trip down main st to route 99 would be any better. Quincy is a failure too which is why all their hopes are that the billion dollar development builds them a new and sucessful city. I spend the days of my life in ugliness and it was not always that way. 
    Posted by poppymal

Reputation still sticks, but walk through Union and Davis Squares of Somerville and tell me it's a failure.  Walk around Quincy too.  They sure still kick our butts.  There something to still learn from them.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppymal. Show poppymal's posts

Kinda tired of this but you do realize that the 'live, eat, shop' mantra for developement is not mine but city hall's, right? That is always their reason for all of the housing they develop. Always wrong too.
    Goodness, all of the changes to town centers including the highways was for fabulous growth, growth and more growth. The fabulous future!

Okayyyy..... Malden is the west end, Medford is Lawrence estates, Somerville is Davis Sq., Quincy is Peacefields. Hey, everything is great!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hellgirl. Show hellgirl's posts

poppymal - Are you related to Driver54?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from anotherman. Show anotherman's posts

Ok, so now the Malden Planning Board is changing the zoning restrictions around Malden Center to encourage more development. See this article:

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news/malden/2012/02/clearing_the_way_for_more_deve.html

I hope this leads to more retail and commercial development, instead of apartment buildings.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from porkshop-a-go-go. Show porkshop-a-go-go's posts

Unreal.

Awesome, let's just bulldoze this entire fscking city and put apartments up.  Oh, and a baseball park.

I wonder if they can re-zone Forestdale so that it's part of Melrose....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4048808. Show user_4048808's posts

@poppymal

I'm not sure how your last post address my counter arguments....

@posts after him 

Okay... I can admit the last news is probably a step in the wrong direction.  Zoning for more apartments and condos with a "maybe" for retail.  

If they build more condos/appartments towers without retail, they will sow salt that Malden Square will never return.  No matter how many people live in the condos/appartments, they won't patronize if there is no shops to patronize.  And no shops can exist as no one will knock down a condo for a shop.  

Sections
Shortcuts