AGAVE Mexican restaurant closing...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GunghoGuy. Show GunghoGuy's posts

Re: AGAVE Mexican restaurant closing...

Mexican food is NOT good for anyone's body...ever check out what that burrito dough is made of??

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JIRKYRICK. Show JIRKYRICK's posts

In Response to Re: AGAVE Mexican restaurant closing...:
    [QUOTE]Mexican food is NOT good for anyone's body...ever check out what that burrito dough is made of??
    Posted by GunghoGuy[/QUOTE]

I dont consider burritos and tacos mexican food. That Tex-Mex fast food, not authentic Mexican food.  Mole chicken is a good example of Mexican food, Ceviche (spanish? is another) neither of which Agave could make properly.

Does not really matter what the ethnenticy of the food is, as long as it is good food.  Agave is not closing becuase Malden did not like Mexican food, Agave is closing becuase they served "TERRIBLE" food. plain and simple.  They served dumbed down cafeteria food , I mean crap, and that is why they are closing

Check out the reviews on chowhound

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/702427

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from scootcha. Show scootcha's posts

In Response to AGAVE Mexican restaurant closing...:
    [QUOTE]The bad news... its being replaced by another equally terrible Dockside.  [/QUOTE]

Doing it while building the one in Chelsea would be very strange.

http://www.chelsearecord.com/2010/12/09/dockside-restaurant-to-open-in-market-basket-mall/

But the whole operation has been very weird for years.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JustinApinyen. Show JustinApinyen's posts

YAY! Laughing Woo Hoo! You never want to see jobs lost, but this place was horrible, by far the worst dining experience I have EVER had.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JIRKYRICK. Show JIRKYRICK's posts

Dont worry, they will still be abe to give you a terrible dining experience, just with a new name. same owners, same terrible food ah well

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Terry19. Show Terry19's posts

My thoughts prove true, I went to the Dockside once two years ago and never returned, dirty awful place, and once I heard Agave was the same owner I stayed away. How do they stay open?? How about a nice upscale restaurant like the Bistro?? What a lost opportunity.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JIRKYRICK. Show JIRKYRICK's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to AGAVE Mexican restaurant closing... : Doing it while building the one in Chelsea would be very strange. http://www.chelsearecord.com/2010/12/09/dockside-restaurant-to-open-in-market-basket-mall/ But the whole operation has been very weird for years.
    Posted by scootcha[/QUOTE]

Did you notice comments are closed on that story.. go figure eh..  You would have thought a good spanish / mexican style restaurant would flourish in that location

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JIRKYRICK. Show JIRKYRICK's posts

its not just me that thinks this place is bad, read the reviews online form a number of sources, like yelp, they are overwhelmingly bad, same goes for Agave.

Cheap pub food is great if its done well.  The dockside does not do it well.  I love cheap pub food, go green st grill in Cambridge, Highland Kitchen in Somerville... etc

I have lived in Malden all my life, I don't hate things just becuase they are Malden,  All Season Table is great, Exchange Street Bistro, usually good, but inconsistent. The new pub District something is prety good too, good cheap pub grub. 

hey, my coffe cup is half empty, i need to go get a refill, if only there was a starbucks in Malden I could meet my friends there,

To each his own.  Enjoy the dockside, I am guilty of going there for a beer or two, but eat there....nope

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JIRKYRICK. Show JIRKYRICK's posts

hmmm, where do I get a good cup of coffee in Malden, dont say dunkin'.  I actully think Mc Donalds has great coffee, better than Dunkin and Starbucks.

Agave was terrible, thats why it closed.  Dockside, if it did not have such a big bar I wonder how it would do.  Dont think it could stand alone on the food.

Agree about yelp adn most other reader review sites, So I usually ignore the best and the worst reviews, you know 1 star or 5 (I mean really 5 stars for the dockside),  but when looking at yelp and the dockside, its overwhelmingly bad, that tells me something

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ezjimd. Show ezjimd's posts

Re: AGAVE Mexican restaurant closing...dandy donuts

I was in "down-town" malden square around 9 AM last Tuesday and I was thinking of the old fashion coffee shop that used to be there. I think it was called Dandy Donuts. It had one of those fifties neon signs out front too.

It sure would be nice to have a (small) old fashion coffee shop like this in the "down-town" neighborhood. I love fresh hand made donuts and muffins. I used to love the old Jordan Marsh blueberry muffins. Anyone got the recipe?

Maybe someone can beg Kane's Donuts in Saugus to open a small shop here.

ANYTHING BUT STARBUCKS PLEASE.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lirazel. Show Lirazel's posts

We rather like Donut Villa in the Town Line plaza on Highland (it's on the Malden side of the line). Really good hand-made doughnuts and a real "homie" atmosphere.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ezjimd. Show ezjimd's posts

i heard about donut villa. will have to check it out. as for agave... i hope the new changes help. people need jobs and everyone counts...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerardw. Show gerardw's posts

well i never ate at agave, but after it closed my wife an I went to dockside at that location. we seemed to wait for ever to get service and after our order was taken it took for ever to come out, all we got were hamburgers. I won't be going back.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from indygreen. Show indygreen's posts

a coffee shop where you could actually sit in the establishment and drink your coffee from a ceramic mug would be great. It seems that our city does not reach out to small independent types we go after the dollar store chains, applebee's dunkins.The chamber of commerce needs to think outside the box they never do. Malden square is ripe for small independently owned businesses , put a halt to the nail salons and dollar stores.

I never tried the Agave, but i have been to the dockside many times, usually for a burger and a few beers, the main attraction it was close by. i would not call it fine dining but it is what it is.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hawthorne3. Show hawthorne3's posts

I want a good bakery...someplace where i can get great breads and pastries and order specialty birthday cakes for my kids.  I am tired of going to Everett or Somerville for that. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lawskool. Show lawskool's posts

My girlfriend ate at Agave several times and was not happy with the food.  Not surprising, because the Dockside food is absolutely terrible.  I have tried multiple items on the menu and never had a decent meal.  I can't believe the place is in business.  It would not survive anywhere outside Malden/Everett.  They must buy the lowest quality/cheapest food you can find.  There is no way it is the cook's fault.  Like I said, i have tried several items on the menu because the prices are so low. But the food is really bad.  Once I heard it was the same owners as Agave, I would never go there.
    Google the review by the Boston Globe.  They crushed the place with bad reviews.  Border Cafe in Saugus and Mexican place on main street in Melrose is pretty good if your looking for mexican.  Chipolte = cant go wrong for fast food mexican type food.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hawthorne3. Show hawthorne3's posts

Lawskool... you are so right.  that place both places are awful.  It can't last.  Hopefully a better restaurant takes it over..

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ezjimd. Show ezjimd's posts

seems like we have a wave of communication here, maybe it's time someone makes some serious bread downtown!

[QUOTE] a coffee shop where you could actually sit in the establishment and drink your coffee from a ceramic mug would be great. It seems that our city does not reach out to small independent types we go after the dollar store chains, applebee's dunkins.The chamber of commerce needs to think outside the box they never do. Malden square is ripe for small independently owned businesses , put a halt to the nail salons and dollar stores. I never tried the Agave, but i have been to the dockside many times, usually for a burger and a few beers, the main attraction it was close by. i would not call it fine dining but it is what it is.
    Posted by indygreen[/QUOTE]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JIRKYRICK. Show JIRKYRICK's posts

argg, john brewers is anotherplace that servers crap pub food.  If doesn't come out of a pan, or out of box of frozen food they don't server it.  Pub food does not mean something reheated in a fryer or thawed and grilled.

Is the only reason you go the dockside becuase it is in walking distance?  There cant be any other reason.  Whenever I want pub food I head right out of Malden and head to Somerville and Cambridge. Sure the parking is terrible, but there are so many great cheap pubs in those neigborhoods. with great food and fresh ingredients.  Even the 821 in Everett.

Wish I did not have to. Even downtown Haverhill has a few great spots for pub food. 

Anybody have a favorite pub for good food, Malden or otherwise?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JIRKYRICK. Show JIRKYRICK's posts

oh yeh , my favorite pubs for food. Green St  Grill, Camdridge, Foundry on Elm Davis Square, and Highland Kitchen on Highland Ave in Somerville.  Now thats good eating!!! And not expensive, but not as cheap as the dockside

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JIRKYRICK. Show JIRKYRICK's posts

had a nice cheap pub grub meal last nite at Highland Kitchen, not more than a 15 minute drive from the Dockside.  Lets see, 3 people, less than 100 bucks including tips.

4 beers for me and my brother and few scotches for the wife

Porkbelly craklins with jicama orange slaw and fried yuca (all fresh and homemade)
    Half a dozen raw oyters
    Brocalli rabe
    fried plantains witha fresh homemade mango sauce
    feshly spiced and warm nuts
    banana bread pudding with ice cream (freshly made, not out of a frozen box)

Beat that with a dockside pub meal. I dont een th9nk they know what fresh means

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JIRKYRICK. Show JIRKYRICK's posts

Hi Mike,  not really trying to point the comments at you.  I was just saying I went to a place that was not expensive and uses fresh ingrediants, and it done not have the same menu as all the other open a frozen box of stuff type pubs. Although I would think when they have fried clams at the dockside those would be fresh.

The point really was you dont have to be expensive to have fresh quality food, why cant the dockside do that?  I wish they did have good  food, I live ony a few walking blocks away from it.  Enjoy the dockside if you will, but for food I am heading anywhere but there. 

Really, you dont like the highland kitchen? Watching the bruins and having good food are not mutualy exclusive.  And I never miss a bruins game

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Educatedmaldonian. Show Educatedmaldonian's posts

A good Bakery in Malden would be fantastic!  You should try Cornacopia's in Malden square- really good breakfast (homemade muffins and pastries)and lunch food for a small cozy stop to eat.  As close to a "donut shop" you will get in the square.