Blue bags hard to find

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

Re: Blue bags hard to find

I have never purchased the 10 dollar bags so I haven't had your issue, but when I purchased some 33 gallon bags a few days ago Walgreens on Centre Street had the ones you were looking for in stock. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JIRKYRICK. Show JIRKYRICK's posts

thx, but it really should not be a scavenger hunt to find the bags you need / want

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Nicki31. Show Nicki31's posts

Johnnies Food Master has tons of them

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from catmommy9. Show catmommy9's posts

This issue that many people have, which I keep pointing out, and too many ignore, is that the DPW is NOT on a bus route!  Has it occured to anyone who runs things around here that many Malden residents can't afford cars?

Also, the hours of the DPW and City Hall are not convenient for working people.  A few weeks ago, some skeeveball stole our recycling bin, and my husband had to take time from work to go and get a new one from the DPW.  He bought more garbage bags while there, to save time.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from catmommy9. Show catmommy9's posts

I also want to add that most people who don't have cars do all of their shopping at Stop & Shop, since many bus routes stop there.  I remember what it was like not to have a car, and going to nore than one store to get all you need was a royal PITA.  So people are supposed to go shopping, find no $10 bags, schlep all their groceries, on foot, to City Hall, and then schlep back to the bus stop?  Or get on another bus to go to Johnnie's Foodmaster?  RIDICULOUS!

I think that S&S not having the $10 bags is something that the city is trying to pull off, to force people to buy the $20 bags, whether they need to put out that much trash or not.  The city is just hungry for money, that's what this whole thing was about from DAY ONE.  It's not S&S' fault.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hellgirl. Show hellgirl's posts

In Response to Re: Blue bags hard to find:
    [QUOTE]I have never purchased the 10 dollar bags so I haven't had your issue, but when I purchased some 33 gallon bags a few days ago Walgreens on Centre Street had the ones you were looking for in stock. 
    Posted by DamainAllen[/QUOTE]

Really? Because I was there a week or so ago and the clerk told me that all they had were the large (20 dollar) ones and she hadn't seen the 10 dollar ones in over a month. Stop and Shop and Johnnie's were the same.

Frankly, my husband and I thought they'd simply stopped making the 10 dollar boxes.

And it's true - I hate the scavenger hunt. The posted list on the Malden homepage is wrong (neither Steve's Corner nor Essex Farms has had them since this plan was implemented) and I'm tired of trying to figure out who has them when these days. I'm sick of driving all over town and both City Hall and the DPW are closed by the time I get out of work.

Actually, that's pretty funny since I'm employed by the federal government. We still work longer hours than Malden Government does. Interesting.Undecided

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenEggsNHam. Show GreenEggsNHam's posts

They are hard to find because (They don't want us to buy the 10.00 bags). With the increase in Recycling they have not made the money in which they were planning on (So if they don't make the 10.00 bags available to the stores to keep in stock, residents are forced to purchase 20.00 bags) thus keeping the pockets of the city officials stuffed as always while we go broke and have to worry about (milk, bread).....You know what next time you can'y afford bags call your ward council or at least the ones who voted for it and ask them if you can borrow a bag because your out and your broke...LOL...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaldenSenior. Show MaldenSenior's posts

keep this issue allive with the city council and Mayors office. It is supposed to be open for change within the next sis month!!!!!
    HOW ABOUT SHOWING UP AT THE COUNCIL COMMITEE MEETING AT 5:30pM TUESDAYS.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hellgirl. Show hellgirl's posts

[QUOTE]keep this issue allive with the city council and Mayors office. It is supposed to be open for change within the next sis month!!!!! HOW ABOUT SHOWING UP AT THE COUNCIL COMMITEE MEETING AT 5:30pM TUESDAYS.
    Posted by MaldenSenior[/QUOTE]

With all due respect, MaldenSenior, a lot of us (like myself) are either just getting home from work at the time that council meetings are held or are just getting ready to get dinner on the table for our families with very young children.

If I could make that time, rest assured, I would be there. Instead, I choose to correspond directly with my City Councilor and, indeed, other councilors when necessary, using the phone or e-mail. I write letters to the Mayor's office and I do get out and vote.

It's not just about showing up at a meeting that isn't easily accessible for working families. It's about communication - frequently and by any means available (including the voter's booth). So, while ciitizen turn out may be low at the meetings, have you stopped to consider that it doesn't mean that the citizens who care aren't just as active in another form?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JIRKYRICK. Show JIRKYRICK's posts

I agree, they probably are making the 10 dollar bags inconvenient to charge us more.  The small minds at city hall cant figure out how to raise the tax base, so instead, they think small and come up with fees. $5 to park a car in front of my own home,$ 20 blue bags, 50 dollars for teenagers out to late.  I am waiting for the street cleaning/ snow plowing fee and probably a visiting fee to talk to anyone at city hall. And then they threaten us with teacher, firemen and police cuts if they cant keep this swindle.  I bet there are plenty of non - essential workers right in the mayors office

Start thinking bigger, get rid of the dollar stores and junk stores in Malden square,  How much taxes can they possibly contribute.  Geez, another dollar store opened in Malden next to John Brewers.. gimme a break already with these. Give the square a face lift and make it a destination for those using the orange line rather than a place to get the hell away from as soon as they get off the train

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from defa1. Show defa1's posts

People give the bags a rest it's over.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JIRKYRICK. Show JIRKYRICK's posts

hmmm do you work for the city?  It's not over and it's not the blue bags that is the critical point here.  It's the general point that the city faces a deficit and all they can come up with is a fee for throwing your trash out.  And not even execute that well by making it an easter egg hunt.

Find a way to get real businesses in the square that generate tax dollars and stop catering to the lowest income.  Dollar stores sell stuff for a dollar, not a lot of sales tax to collect.  Malden used to be a middle income blue collar kind of place with a Jordan Marsh and real places to spend money downtown. Movie theaters too. A place for teenagers to spend money as well. Now is cheap crap from third world countries, dollar stores and boarded up dilipadated store fronts. 

Solve the real problem, stop coming up with fees and get real businesses in the square. I bet real dollars spent in retail business that generate more than a a dollar per transaction would make more money than those blue bags.

That would probably solve some of the crime too by attracting people with income to stay here

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonslp. Show bostonslp's posts

I couldn't agree more about bringing some better stores to malden square.  they already have some great restaurants that we try to go to often and when we do, I wish that there were some stores to linger in or coffee shops to sit in, but instead, we race home.  there is potential, but not sure when or if ever it will happen. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaldenPride. Show MaldenPride's posts

defa...................It aint over......just a holiday break...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from smpolli. Show smpolli's posts

I agree that the $10 bags are harder to find than the $20 bags. However, before there were $10 bags available, I did indeed have to go to the city yard to buy The $20 bags and when I had mentioned that none of he stores I had been to seemed to have the bags in stock, I was asked what stores I had been to.  Unless the stores report that they have no bags ( of either kind) the city yard(DPW) does not know that they are out of stock. The clerk had a list of stores which sold bags and she also had a list of stores who needed their stock replenished.
    So, might I recommend that a simple call to the DPW to inform them about the bags being out of stock at whatever store you choose to shop at might help and possibly the search for the bags could become a bit easier.  Their office phone number is (781) 397-7160.
    I do just purchase directly from the DPW ..it just happens to be convenient for me and I now purchase only $10 bags. I have never had a problem.
    And, no I don't work for the city !

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from llbean26. Show llbean26's posts

I have three comments:

1.  The blue bags are cheap.  The quality is terrible and the ties always break.
    2.  I looked all over Stop N Shop for the bags before asking a worker.  He told me that they are a hot stolen item and are now available at the customer service desk. 
    3.  We need to overturn the century old 1/3 voting rule and put this question back on the ballot next year!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hellgirl. Show hellgirl's posts

smpolli - If the DPW had reasonable hours (as in, not M - F, 9 - 3, when we're working), then that would be an option for us. But they don't, so we're relegated to searching the stores.

And I had the same experience as llbean26 at Stop n Shop. How sad is it that these were actually so frequently stolen that they have to be hidden away and received by request only??

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3870256. Show user_3870256's posts

Give us bags....or give us freedom!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from defa1. Show defa1's posts

Din't waste your time going to Tru -value, they never have them...