Downtown hopes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Terry19. Show Terry19's posts

Downtown hopes

We bought a home back in 86 with false hopes (from our realitor) that downtown Malden was comming back soon.  I know I'm beating a dead horse but has anyone heard of any good/promising news that I've been waiting to hear for 25 years...I look at downtown Melrose, Davis Sq, Somerville and Wakefield and wonder what is taking so long for Malden to come back.  Or do you think it will never happen in our lifetime.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from scootcha. Show scootcha's posts

Re: Downtown hopes

Unlike those examples given Malden has chosen the route of tearing down the old New England style buildings.  Malden will never be able to obtain that “quaint” feeling since we now have the impersonal glass and brick towers in their place.  It might get better, in some different way, at some time, but we can never take it back and be Melrose/Davis Square/Wakefield.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hawthorne3. Show hawthorne3's posts

I was hoping for the samething when we moved to malden, been waiting for 15yrs now.  All i see is more apartments and they still want to build more, it's a real shame. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from anotherman. Show anotherman's posts

Hey all:

There's a chance that downtown Malden can be revitalized when the current crop of Mayor and councilors are kicked out of office by the voters.

We might have a chance then to get what we wish for in time, but unless we take political action and take the city back from the corrupt politicians, their cronies in the various city departments, and the unions that sap the municipal budget, there would be no way that vision can ever materialize!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cantbreath. Show cantbreath's posts

Unfortunately, we will have a downtown of towers and garages, a dump, whether it is Christenson or Fallon for Mayor. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from indygreen. Show indygreen's posts

it will only happen if the citizens of Malden take back the square by going to the business that are already there. I can name a few good eating establishments, Massimo's, District 7, All Seasons, Exchange street. Its a two way street, some people take the risk to open a business in our city,then we should at least give them a chance to succeed. Davis square did not happen over night it took years and years to become what it is now, sadly though i feel it is going to go the way of Harvard square, gone are the small "funky" types of business in now are the Chile's and other corporate chains.

Melrose and Wakefield succeed because of the available parking spaces, in Malden square, parking is limited to the huge parking garages.

give the downtown a  shot as more  people frequent this area others will open, if not these business's will close and it will be awhile before anything happens.

You cannot have the attitude that once it is better I will go, without foot traffic  and customers it will stay the ghost town that it currently is

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JIRKYRICK. Show JIRKYRICK's posts

I dont have any demand to buy anything in the dollar stores that proliferate the square, unless they can sell me a 1 dollar tazer. The dollar stores bring the whole environment down with their dilapidated store fronts

I do frequent the restaurants listed in the last post though. Have not been to Massimos though, is it any good?  Just red sauce italian?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JIRKYRICK. Show JIRKYRICK's posts

xenophobic?  I don't think so.  More like realistic. My car broken into in my driveway, which is at least 50 feet from the street, my motorcyles in my garage vandalized twice, which even further down the driveway, my front door kicked in almost succesfully 4 times with the last time resulting in me having to replace the door, all in one year.

Thats a crime wave to me.  I would consider a gun, but know if I used it to defend myself, I would be the one going to jail.  A taser sounds like a prudent purchase.  To bad the dollar stores in the square don't sell em.

Lets make malden less affordable in my opinion and revitalize the square with spending of real money rather than a buck at a time

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Maldenlady. Show Maldenlady's posts

I think the comments about access are absolutely right.  There's another thing going on, too...that's the Route 1 effect.  People like the convenience of the big box stores along route one -- for them it's one-stop shopping.  We have smaller storefronts available along Pleasant Street, which aren't going to hold as much stock.  The restaurants are successful because they're very good, and people have to eat!  But if you need to buy, say, lawn/gardening supplies, you're going to head out to Home Depot...

I keep thinking about the arts community in Malden. We have a lot of great talent in this town -- musicians, actors, artists of all kinds.  I would love to see that vacant Super Fitness building become the Malden Center for the Arts -- maybe a small community theatre, that can also hold classes in stagecraft, etc...I just have this hunch that supporting the artists could help alot...

On a more pragmatic side, Malden is very family oriented -- a lot of kids and pets.  What about businesses that cater to that demographic?  Has anyone thought to do some kind of surveying of what people *want* in Malden, and what would keep them shopping *here* instead of headin' out to Route 1?  Maybe silly questions!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from maldenrezident. Show maldenrezident's posts

themikeg: As a new resident perhaps you didn't know the Super Fitness site was sold to Combined Properties from the Stop and Shop across the street. They put a condition it could never have competion to them put on that site--they would be nuts to allow a competing food store such as Whole Foods to open right there! Now that doesn't mean a Whole Foods would have been wonderful on the Davidson property. It would have paid taxes to the city and provided jobs to locals and served the community a quality product. Is there another comparable sized location where they could locate? Maybe it's time our Council and Mayor started thinking among the commercial property development instead of apartment building. We have plenty of locations where we are leaving money on the table. Trash taxes and parking stickers revenue is a pittance compared to what we COULD bring in!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JIRKYRICK. Show JIRKYRICK's posts

glad youhave not been a victim of crime yet mikeg. Do you rent in an apartment or do you own a home?  I am not making this up. And I have lived in Malden all my life, so us lifers know how much the city has deteriororated since Howard and his minions have taken control of the city.

What makes my home attractive to crime,I dont know, but its not the only house in the neighborhood.  A few weks ago the cops caught a low life that kicked in the front door of new mother and her baby while they where in the house.  All that lowlife cared about was he was going to miss his basketball game that night. 

I would gladly pay more property tax to keep the scum out. Thats why people move to more expensive neigborhoods. its less affrodable to the scum crime wave and the downtown does not cater the least common denominator.

Mayor Howard, bringing you a better downtown, 99 cents at a time

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from maldenrezident. Show maldenrezident's posts

On the discussion of Agave closing there are two ideas which would bring some life to downtown even with the city hall being there: a nice coffee shop and a good bakery! Hello Council and Mayor--people are telling you what they want but no, you're giving us trash taxes and parking stickers. Good riddance to those who are stepping down--don't let the door hit you on the way out! Wait and see--it will be their votes that give us more taxes as a "good-bye" gift!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hawthorne3. Show hawthorne3's posts

Chelsea just put in a new TJ Maxx and a Home Goods.  How sad is it when Chelsea can get those kinds of stores and Malden can't.  Wake up people!  can't wait for election day..

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I love the bakery and coffee shop idea.  Someone mentioned Malden is good for families and pets, as someone who owns a Shih Tzu, I presently go to Melrose to groom her and Everett has numerous grooming shops. I was surprised at Malden.  I did find one, but couldn't get a Saturday scheduled and it was more a doggy daycare.  Kinda surprised at that since more and more people own animals.  I grew up in Malden and just moved back a year ago.  No crime issues thank God, but I was sadly disappointed to see nothing downtown.  TJ Maxx, Home Goods, another supermarket to give S&S competition, all great ideas.  We can only hope.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ezjimd. Show ezjimd's posts

we should all get together and work hard to make some serious bread downtown!

In Response to Re: Downtown hopes:
    [QUOTE]I love the bakery and coffee shop idea.  Someone mentioned Malden is good for families and pets, as someone who owns a Shih Tzu, I presently go to Melrose to groom her and Everett has numerous grooming shops. I was surprised at Malden.  I did find one, but couldn't get a Saturday scheduled and it was more a doggy daycare.  Kinda surprised at that since more and more people own animals.  I grew up in Malden and just moved back a year ago.  No crime issues thank God, but I was sadly disappointed to see nothing downtown.  TJ Maxx, Home Goods, another supermarket to give S&S competition, all great ideas.  We can only hope.
    Posted by ambergirl[/QUOTE]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JIRKYRICK. Show JIRKYRICK's posts

I am seriuos about the dollar stores, they bring down the square to their level,.  What middle class family want to go shopping downtown in Malden Square.  What could they buy there? They bring down the values of homes in Malden. Why are Melrose home worth more, take a drive down their Main St and then Maldens.

Crime wave, hell even the Mayors car was broken into right at the police station a few months ago, shows you how scared the criminals are

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JIRKYRICK. Show JIRKYRICK's posts

no, it was a criminal, they caught him. he broke into it and  he stole some stuff out of it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from indygreen. Show indygreen's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Downtown hopes : Rick, Again, I'm sorry about your home being burglarized.  That is really awful, and I feel for you.  I own a home in the city.  I'm by no means saying anyone is making anything up.  It actually makes me really sad and disappointed when I hear stories like this, because I know the city is better than that -- as with everything, a few of the exceptions start to become the rule as the bad apples ruin it for everyone.  But to connect back to what you're saying, I simply don't think the dollar stores in the center of town are the *real* problem (though I'm sure you may have been a little facetious).  At best, that's a pretty classist statement -- at worst, well, we won't go there. And thank you for letting me know about the Super Fitness land.  That is truly shocking to me, and a damn shame to be honest -- that is some prime real estate that I am sure some ambitious property managers would LOVE to get their hands on.
    Posted by themikeg[/QUOTE]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from indygreen. Show indygreen's posts

It would be better for all if Stop and Shop had some competition within the city, The store located on broadway is a disgrace, the store is not kept well and the parking lot is full of trash. Bring in a Market Basket to keep them in line, a whole foods or a trader joes in the shopping center on Highland ave. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from scootcha. Show scootcha's posts

[QUOTE]- it was pretty obvious to me that it was some angry constituents trying to "send a message".  .
    Posted by themikeg[/QUOTE]

I like theorizing about stuff too but adding incorrect suppositions to the discussions here that can easily be proven false is not helpful.

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news/malden/2010/10/mayors_car_vandalized_in_city.html

And really easy to avoid.

http://www.google.com/search?q=malden+mayor+car+breakin

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ezjimd. Show ezjimd's posts

got to love SPARKS though... cheap sox and gloves... been there since before i was born in 1962... do not think too many stores left that have been there that long.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Amethyst2. Show Amethyst2's posts

One thought about Melrose Main Street and Malden Main Street...I think something that makes a difference is that Melrose maintains the storefronts...has there been any discussion about helping the storefronts along that Main St/Ferry St "loop" (for lack of a better term) update their exteriors? 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from maldenrezident. Show maldenrezident's posts

Amethyst2: Yeah, that would be Craig Spadafora and the $80K a year with benefits Compliance Officers we have here. I laugh they want to hire more people for enforcement of the new sticker parking program when they don't enforce the ordinances and laws they have now. Past behavior is the best indicator of future behavior so we are about to get more friends and family on the payroll and the citizens pay the tab.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JIRKYRICK. Show JIRKYRICK's posts

I have mentioned that in the past.  The sqaure storefronts look like something from a depression era ghost town. The funny part is, the closer you get to city hall where Mayor Howard has a window view of pleasant street,the worse the store fronts get.

It's like he just does not care. He is not leaving the city better than when he started thats for sure. 

How hard would it be to for the mayor to tell the owners of the buildings maintain the store fronts or lose your licences to run a business in them?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from maldenrezident. Show maldenrezident's posts

Isn't Lee Kinnon on the Licensing Board? Hmmm...