Downtown Revitalization

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3870256. Show user_3870256's posts

Downtown Revitalization

Is anyone else wondering where the downtown revitalization project is going? I mean that kicked off with such a bang two years ago....and now all quiet on the downtown front.

Nows the time to get this going. Malden's Pleasent Street is just urning for some help. Where did that Federal Stimulus money go? We need more establishments like All Seasons. It would be good for all our property values!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from danc. Show danc's posts

Re: Downtown Revitalization

Good question.  I think the stimulus money all went to build the sound barrier in Burlington for the people who built their houses next to 128.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3870256. Show user_3870256's posts

Malden got a couple hundred thousand. I know 280k of which was earmarked for the fire or police....but I'm looking for the article that earmarked at least a couple hundred for Pleasent Street.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from defa1. Show defa1's posts

I bought a home back in 86 and was told that downtown was coming back, well it's been 24 years...I obviously don't know what the downtown looked like prior top its downfall, but heard it was very nice at one time, Jordan Marsh ect..

My question is why are city officials dragging their feet doing nothing as usual when this would be a great opportunity to shine. It's been a quarter century and all I'm reading is the council wants to renovate city hall? What happened to the main objective of bringing back foot traffic, car traffic, anchor stores, and night life?  I grew up in Somerville's Davis square area which once mirrored our square, now look at it..it's been voted one of the top squares in the country and it didn't take 25 years to come back. 

It seems that the priority in Malden has been and will always be a off center: for example we have great school buildings but low MCAS scores, nice painted road lines but pot holes everywhere, a can do attitude but nothing gets done, I think you get my picture.  Is anyone else exhausted of hearing we're out of money and the economy is in tough shape, what about when times were good, the square still took a second seat and will always unless we vote out all the dead weight we have running our show...just a thought. great topic! 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hellgirl. Show hellgirl's posts

defa1: Amen!

I had to go to City Clerk a couple of days ago and just walking down Pleasant Street I was struck, again, at how little has changed since I was a kid. The same, sad stores are there and the streets were deserted at 4 pm.

I love Davis Square and miss living near there desperately. I work part time out there still and whenever I'm there, the vibe cheers me up immensely. If only we weren't priced out...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3870256. Show user_3870256's posts

Hellgirl - love the quote. Defa1 you have a great point. I think you both hit it on the head with the point that this is an example of all promise and talk but never any action. I've contact the councilors that have downtown as their subcommitte responsibility and its as if there is nothing to help on, nothing to open to do.

Is the redevelopment department sending letters to business owners and stores of the opportunity to open in Pleasent Street. A coffee shop or HR Block office, etc - simple small retail that could be interested, but you're right, its the INTITATIVE that is missing.  I'm pushing to do something on this and maybe it has to start here with us. I think there is a meeting upcoming at City Hall.

Sections
Shortcuts