Enough of sober houses in Malden!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from anotherman. Show anotherman's posts

Enough of sober houses in Malden!

Is it just me or are people tired of all these sober houses in Malden, that are a cesspool for criminal activity in the city?

We have another recent incident with two people robbing a taxi driver, and the police traced these two delinquents to a sober house

news link

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from voteforme. Show voteforme's posts

Re: Enough of sober houses in Malden!

How do you know they are linked to a sober house? I didn't read that in the paper, just curious.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cantbreath. Show cantbreath's posts

vote, read the link, it is short, the last line.

How many ways can a town go downhill. Malden is able to do it in all ways.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from voteforme. Show voteforme's posts

cantbreath, thank you, I didn't even see the link.  It is outragous that the city doesn't do anything about this.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JIRKYRICK. Show JIRKYRICK's posts

hopefully once thecurrent  idiot Mayor is out office Gary Christenson will do something about it, otherwise he should be a one term mayor

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hellgirl. Show hellgirl's posts

And they were arrested for shoplifting at the local Stop n Rob just a few hours later in the update here. [facepalm]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from AnnieOMalden. Show AnnieOMalden's posts

Since boston.com has not filed the story on the owner of two of the drug treatment centers being arrested for Medicaid fraud, I wanted to make people aware of this additional scourge to our city being allowd to operate under the authority of this administration and council. The Licensing board, Inspectional Services and Ordinance Committee have shirked their responsibilities to the citizens of this city to keep us safe and secure.

Why is it Malden has more than their fair share of sober houses and drug treatment centers? This guy had TWO in Malden! These places were not the one at 6 Pleasant St. either-that would be #3 that I know of. How many drug addicts do you need to support that many treatment centers? Why has this city made it more convenient for a sober house or drug treatment center to open here than a business that would be an asset to the community? I'm just asking, active/educated.

It seems the "club" has chosen to close its eyes to the decline of this city while helping themselves to all the benefits they can create for the friends and family. Time to take back this city. DEB FALLON FOR MAYOR!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from anotherman. Show anotherman's posts

Yeah hellgirl,

It seems that the riff-raff are taking over the city. I bump into them all day on my way to work, to the grocery store or walking down the streets.
       You can pretty much recognize them by the way they dress, the way they talk, their unkempt physical appearance and their shady demeanor...
       I hope the next mayor and new councilors take a long, hard look at the costs of having these sober houses in Malden, and do the right thing by removing them from the city. They are a blight on our community!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hellgirl. Show hellgirl's posts

Hey. I take exception to that. I am super shady and I dress funny too. :P

I tend to recognize them more by their drug ravaged features (which lead to trivial games between my husband and I wherein we attempt to guess their ages - and both lose!) than anything. Well, that and the odd bulges of smuggled turkeys in their underpants when leaving Stop n Rob (which I do my best to avoid).

Bonus recognition points if they're surrounded by packs of slavering dogs and screaming kids.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats2012Champs. Show Pats2012Champs's posts

They dont bother no one.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from AnnieOMalden. Show AnnieOMalden's posts

Patsy: No one except for that cabbie they put a trash bag over his head while he's driving!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats2012Champs. Show Pats2012Champs's posts

Oh thats fun. We do that all the time.

I was being sarcastic annie .Im sorry it is hard to tel by typing. These 2 should be water boarded.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Amethyst2. Show Amethyst2's posts

Look, drug and alcohol abuse is a very difficult, serious, heartbreaking thing for everyone involved  in the abuser's life.  I get it.  I'd like to see any addict who is motivated be able to get *good* treatment from people who know what they're doing.

Having said that, from what I'm reading here, it doesn't sound like these folks are getting the services they need.  That puts the community at risk in a number of ways.  We've got kids, elderly...vulnerable people in this town. 

I'd like to see us as a society -- not just as Malden -- get serious and realistic about solid programs and treatment.  That hasn't happened yet, really, Europe's ahead of us in thinking of addiction as a public health issue than a crime.  What they're doing in Europe isn't perfect, but aspects are worth taking a look at.  But along with that, the "stick" has gotta be there as well.  Can't have a halfway approach. 

If these folks aren't getting serious treatment, and the community is at risk because of that, then, well, I don't see an option.  For everyone's safety, time to rethink exactly what these houses are doing.  If these folks aren't getting solid, supervised treatment, then the community's at risk.  No treatment, no house.  End of story.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from activemaldonian. Show activemaldonian's posts

In Response to Re: Enough of sober houses in Malden!:
    [QUOTE]Since boston.com has not filed the story on the owner of two of the drug treatment centers being arrested for Medicaid fraud, I wanted to make people aware of this additional scourge to our city being allowd to operate under the authority of this administration and council. The Licensing board, Inspectional Services and Ordinance Committee have shirked their responsibilities to the citizens of this city to keep us safe and secure.   Why is it Malden has more than their fair share of sober houses and drug treatment centers? This guy had TWO in Malden! These places were not the one at 6 Pleasant St. either-that would be #3 that I know of. How many drug addicts do you need to support that many treatment centers? Why has this city made it more convenient for a sober house or drug treatment center to open here than a business that would be an asset to the community? I'm just asking, active/educated.   It seems the "club" has chosen to close its eyes to the decline of this city while helping themselves to all the benefits they can create for the friends and family. Time to take back this city. DEB FALLON FOR MAYOR!!!
    Posted by AnnieOMalden[/QUOTE]
    I will bite- what HAS Fallon done about this?  I am curious, she must have done something correct?  Come on now, she is going on two years and this seems like a hot topic, I need to hear what she has enacted?   Was she too busy all stuffed into the firefighters pockets that she didn't notice?  Other people live here too you know, not just firefighters!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from GetActive. Show GetActive's posts

[QUOTE]Since boston.com has not filed the story on the owner of two of the drug treatment centers being arrested for Medicaid fraud, I wanted to make people aware of this additional scourge to our city being allowd to operate under the authority of this administration and council. The Licensing board, Inspectional Services and Ordinance Committee have shirked their responsibilities to the citizens of this city to keep us safe and secure.   Why is it Malden has more than their fair share of sober houses and drug treatment centers? This guy had TWO in Malden! These places were not the one at 6 Pleasant St. either-that would be #3 that I know of. How many drug addicts do you need to support that many treatment centers? Why has this city made it more convenient for a sober house or drug treatment center to open here than a business that would be an asset to the community? I'm just asking, active/educated.   It seems the "club" has chosen to close its eyes to the decline of this city while helping themselves to all the benefits they can create for the friends and family. Time to take back this city. DEB FALLON FOR MAYOR!!!

Annie give me a break, are you able to have an intellegent conversation about anything without mudslinging?

Right or wrong, these sober houses are federally protected, the Mayor and Council have very little they can do about it when someone comes into town and registers as a sober house.

How do I know? I learned this when the current administration tried to get rid of the sober houses a few years back and got squashed by Federal regualtions. Just because Deb lived out of state at the time and is unaware of what was going on, doesn't mean someone wasn't trying to work on this issue.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LongTallSally. Show LongTallSally's posts

I don't suppose if anyone checked to see if this was a Malden blue trash bag?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from AnnieOMalden. Show AnnieOMalden's posts

Well explain to me why places like Winchester, Reading, even Melrose don't have the number of sober houses Malden seems to have? I personally don't feel enough has been done to make it more difficult to open these places. Maybe if the drug treatment centers weren't here, the sober houses wouldn't be as necessary. There must be serious money in this type of operation to make this guy have 2 in this city! We seem to have a large enough population here to support at least 3 of these places! Enough. Time to take our city back! If the current and past admin can't get the job done, maybe it's time to try something different? This sure isn't working for us.

DEB FALLON FOR CHANGE!!!

Sally: We must think alike-I wondered that when I first heard a trash bag was used!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from GetActive. Show GetActive's posts

Oh, so does Deb Fallon have a platform position and action plan for sober houses in Malden? Would you please be so kind as to share it with us?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from AnnieOMalden. Show AnnieOMalden's posts

Getactive: I don't know the specifics of her plans but I can tell you that she has 15 years experience running an award winnng domestic violence program and working with police depts. all around the area. She has seen first hand the lives affected by drugs and alcohol. She has seen how several communities deal with these problems. My guess is she has several ideas on how we can take back our city. I trust her on this. The admin and council in this city has paid lip service to the problems we face. Their idea of progress is: Let's just build more apartment buildings! Yeah, that's what we need here. Add more people to the mess we have now. Time for change, people! You either like it the way it is or are anxious to take back your city. It's that simple. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from fscib52. Show fscib52's posts

[QUOTE]I don't suppose if anyone checked to see if this was a Malden blue trash bag?
    Posted by LongTallSally[/QUOTE]
    LOL, get my morning started with a laugh, thanks Tall

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats2012Champs. Show Pats2012Champs's posts

Its hard to fight the state on this one. You need to bust them on something else. Has nothing to do with the city. Call HUD.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from localguy. Show localguy's posts

[QUOTE]Well explain to me why places like Winchester, Reading, even Melrose don't have the number of sober houses Malden seems to have? I personally don't feel enough has been done to make it more difficult to open these places.

Well, the honest answer is that Malden has the Orange Line. Poor people, ex-felons, drug addicts and the like don't generally own cars, so they need public transportation. Or, now and then apparently, cabs. Also, Malden has a proportionally larger stock of multi-family housing than the other communities you cited - historically, they didn't allow them or their residents didn't need them. Multifamilies are easier to turn into "sober houses," which, as so many have noted, are regulated at a level far removed from Malden Government Center.

There may be a lot of stoners in Winchester, but they live one one-acre lots, so they aren't routinely smoking in front of the neighbor's house, and likely have enough money that they don't need to shoplift applesauce.

The way to get rid of Malden's sober houses is to go back to the 1800s and prevent the building of multi-unit housing, and then make a pit stop in the 1970s and end the Orange Line at Wellington. Absent those actions, we have a city where it's easier for poor people of all kinds - whether the poverty is self-inflicted by bad behavior or not - to live and get around.

So now the question is: are our elected officials going to bang their heads against the wall and make emotional speeches that signify nothing, or are they going to step up policing, or enhance community efficacy, to make it harder for bad guys to step out of line, or easier to catch when they do?

I apologize for being reasonable; it's just that I'm not campaigning for anyone.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from WardWatch. Show WardWatch's posts

Well said localguy.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from AnnieOMalden. Show AnnieOMalden's posts

localguy: Thank you for a reasonable and thoughtful response to my question. I greatly appreciate discussing real issues without the bashing. The issues you raise and suggestions are spot on. A major deficit I see is the lack of effort by our admin and council in beefing up the police patrols and making safety Job 1. We need to stem the tide of apartment buildings in this city as you pointed out. Those buildings stress our already overextended infrastructure: schools, police, fire, DPW.

To hear our officials tell me they can only wring their hands and do nothing while we are being over run by those who would do us harm tells me they need to go if they can't or won't step up to the plate. In my mind, the T is a wonderful asset to the city if it were utilized to make Malden a destination city and not so much a haven for drug and alcohol treatment.

We've lost our way and must get back to making this city the healthy, thriving city it can be. I look forward to this opportunity for change. How about you?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from localguy. Show localguy's posts

Ms O, you raise a good point: It would be helpful if the city didn't roll over so easily on all new multi-unit construction, just because "something is better than nothing." The industry's in a bit of a slump now, but we should be thinking ahead for when it's not, and have better responses ready. On the one hand, more housing clustered downtown should - in theory - support more business; on the other hand, they have to be units occupied by folks with disposable income.

I'm somewhat happy with the trend in Malden Square - decent restaurants, angle parking along Exchange, Department of Ed looks good and puts people on the streets at noon - but we still need more people with money spending it there. I hate to sound Republican about it, but that means condos (no room for single-family houses around the Square), not Section 8, and it means a safer look and feel for Pleasant, Main and Exchange. (Easy for me to say, of course; I don't have to figure out how to do it or pay for it, except for my annual ante.)

Sections
Shortcuts