Fallon Tactics Gone Wrong

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheVoice8. Show TheVoice8's posts

Fallon Tactics Gone Wrong

Another political tactic gone wrong by Ms. Fallon.

Today was primary elections for three wards and concillors at large. But yet again the "Just Me" Fallon think tank decided to holds signs at every polling station and even drive around in a Gas Guzzling RV. (At one time Ms. Fallon complained about the gas consumption of large vehicles.) To be on the safe side I am not sure if this RV was "green" or not.

Ms. Fallon has turned yet another citywide event into a gathering just about her. Or tried, as the RV passed us on Salem street many people laughed and stood in awe. Many of these candidates are fighting for a political future, and the nerve of this woman to drive around and try to take advantage of the day and make it about her. Shame on you Ms. Fallon. This is the second time in a week you have shown us you think more about yourself then the city. These tactics are great for the Christenson Team. You have helped him more then you think.

On the other hand. When looking at the numbers today, you can see that the city has a lot of trust in the people that are in office now. The voters do not want an extreme change. Matheson who has served before took his ward by a large lead. Peg Crowe who is in office for school committee won by over 100 votes. Kinnon walked away with a win against two gentlemen that are new to politics. And Spadafora and Lucey stayed in the stop. It sends a strong message to Ms.Fallon. And if she is to win Mayor, she will have a hard time working with a council she has alienated for two years.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maldenblueskies. Show maldenblueskies's posts

Re: Fallon Tactics Gone Wrong

Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1775andStillaDemocrat. Show 1775andStillaDemocrat's posts

The Voice8: I wish I could trade in my car, but I owe two more years on it. I do have a low carbon footprint to compensate for my gas guzzler.

I have been out the past few election days and I have seen current state senators, representatives, mayors and unopposed ward councilors do exactly what she did today.

The numbers today are a testament to a city that does not advertise its elections for the public. This was suppose to be a focus for this year's council. They knew that there are 14,000 inactive voters-why is this number so high? I guess all 11 are at fault for this lack of democracy in our city. Most campaigns target the likely voters. I will tell them all this next week when I see them in the chambers. Why not join me, so we can discuss why they have an ungodly amount of election workers to sit around to eat cookies and read books today.

Some of the people you mention as having the trust of the people estimate the turnout number to be 13% today! Now that's a great guess, no? I like all of the people that you mention in your post and I might agree with the sentiment of some of it. What is lost in our city is the integrity of the democratic process, when we do not make an attempt to invoke and encourage the rest of our community to participate in the Democratic Process in our city---we must reach out and make that effort. Because 3214 people vote today in a city of 60,000, is 10% decrease from two years ago...there are more races today, than in 2009.

Political corruption is also in maintaining the status quo and many of the city's ordinances insulate any outsider from making a successful attempt at a poltical career without following the one-party process that exists, not only in our city, but the entire state. I might not ever vote for any member of the GOP, but when we impede the democratic process like we do today in our city-we all lose out on the group think mentality that exists at 200 Pleasant Street.

I hope they pay you for the individual words that you write and not by the blather that you spew from your post. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats2012Champs. Show Pats2012Champs's posts

Before i didnt really read the post to be honest. But an RV? Like a house on wheels? A McCain train? The Truth Bus? Like those?

HA HA HA HA I do not believe it. I got to see it for myself. 1776 your my Youtube director, and you are honest, is this true?

Thank God i got tomorrow off because i am going to find this bus or RV. I wish this person never mentioned it because Driver is going to get a bus now and we have to listen to him on a bullhorn.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GetActive. Show GetActive's posts

1775, I agree with much of what you write and always enjoy reading your point of view, but you say its the City's fault for low voter turnout. I must disagree. If people are too inactive or simply not interested enough to know when to vote, it is not the fault of city hall. These candidates, MATV, local news, even bloggers have been talking about nothing but this election for months now. Where is the personal responsibility of the voter for taking part in the democracy of this country?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hellgirl. Show hellgirl's posts

GetActive: I think 1775's points are very valid. A high demographic in our city is non-English speaking. How many candidates visited them or took the time to reach out to those enclaves with literature in Creole, Spanish, Italian, or Vietnamese?

A high demographic is also transient. Transient populaces tend to feel disenfranchised from the community they reside in, partially because existing political machines don't make them feel welcome and yes, partly from their own doing.

While members from both of these groups may be registered voters in the state, you almost never see turnout at the polls. Either they're not in step with current events (e.g. they don't spend their time online, reading the news and these forums or they're not fluent enough in English to follow events critically as written) or they don't care.

But I'll be honest...if I wasn't on these forums or I didn't speak English well or at all, I would never have known about yesterday's primary. I never received anything in the mail in a language other than English.

The Democratic Process at all levels is the responsibility of both voters and politicians. If politicians don't strike a chord with the voter, it won't matter. If the voter doesn't understand the issues or have regular access to a media covering them, it won't matter. If the voter doesn't feel as though what happens at the local level will impact them, it won't matter. If the politician doesn't address issues pertinent to their constituents, they've lost a constituent.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LastMaldenite. Show LastMaldenite's posts

The Democratic Process is the responsibility of the individual voter to get off there butt and get engaged.  Those who do vote consistently get listened to.  Those who do not have no voice and deserve no voice and have nobody to blame but the man in the mirror.  As for other languages also too bad.  Learn English and speak English.  Their enclave leaders need to translate to them not individual politicians. This is how it was always done until the looney left decided to coddle them beginning in the last forty years or so. When they make themselves known by voting they will be paid attention to, not before.  
    Teddy Roosevelt is indeed enlighting Hellgirl.   

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Educatedmaldonian. Show Educatedmaldonian's posts

In Response to Re: Fallon Tactics Gone Wrong:
    GetActive: I think 1775's points are very valid. A high demographic in our city is non-English speaking. How many candidates visited them or took the time to reach out to those enclaves with literature in Creole, Spanish, Italian, or Vietnamese? A high demographic is also transient. Transient populaces tend to feel disenfranchised from the community they reside in, partially because existing political machines don't make them feel welcome and yes, partly from their own doing. While members from both of these groups may be registered voters in the state, you almost never see turnout at the polls. Either they're not in step with current events (e.g. they don't spend their time online, reading the news and these forums or they're not fluent enough in English to follow events critically as written) or they don't care. But I'll be honest...if I wasn't on these forums or I didn't speak English well or at all, I would never have known about yesterday's primary. I never received anything in the mail in a language other than English. The Democratic Process at all levels is the responsibility of both voters and politicians. If politicians don't strike a chord with the voter, it won't matter. If the voter doesn't understand the issues or have regular access to a media covering them, it won't matter. If the voter doesn't feel as though what happens at the local level will impact them, it won't matter. If the politician doesn't address issues pertinent to their constituents, they've lost a constituent.
    Posted by hellgirl

Hello Hellgirl.  I agree with the comments from 1775's comments as well.  The city could have advertised this better, but they did put it on the webite which now (Thanks to GC) is translated into different languages.  I am a supporter of Gary, no surprise here, so I can only tell you what he has done to get the word out. We have everything translated into Malden's many different languages. Gary and team attend events hosted by the many different cultures in Malden and we go with voting information in their native language as well as in English.  We are doing the best we can to integrate all cultures so they too can feel a part of our government and hopefully become active citizens if they are not already.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1775andStillaDemocrat. Show 1775andStillaDemocrat's posts

LastMaldenite: I am a huge TR fan, but he was a racist! After his famous "charge" up San Juan Hill on the Spanish American War. He gave a quote to the newspapers that I will paraphase that he thanks the ninth and tenth US Cavalry for the previous attempts to take the enemy strong hold. These units were stationed in Kansas and are known as the Buffalo Soldiers-all African American troops, led by white officers. TR and the Rough Riders, took some casualties, but the real soldiers took a beating that the American public never knew about. Once on American soil TR, never again mentions the all-African troops gallant efforts from that day!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1775andStillaDemocrat. Show 1775andStillaDemocrat's posts

GetActive: Thank you for your response, however there is a major communications issue that could have a resolution by the city. Mobile community electronic displays should be acquired that would announce when the elections are being held. Most cities do this, as a way to invoke and remind the community when elections will take place. Naturally it would have multiusers, like other important city-wide events like recycling days, police bike safety days, youth sports registrations and parades would be announced around town. Then there would never be a need for me to write a post like this one. If the mayor's office the past four years can leave all the lights on at night. Then we can afford the electricity to run these important communication devices for Malden. All they have to do is turnoff off the lights in the offices when the last person leaves for the day.

Make everyone feel like they belong, not just the people we are familiar with.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LastMaldenite. Show LastMaldenite's posts

The statement above is not racist.  It is a viewpoint for the self preservation of a Nation.  "E Pluribus Unum"    

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from taxed2much. Show taxed2much's posts

Great idea! Re: Fallon Tactics Gone Wrong

GetActive: Thank you for your response, however there is a major communications issue that could have a resolution by the city. Mobile community electronic displays should be acquired that would announce when the elections are being held. Most cities do this, as a way to invoke and remind the community when elections will take place. Naturally it would have multiusers, like other important city-wide events like recycling days, police bike safety days, youth sports registrations and parades would be announced around town. Then there would never be a need for me to write a post like this one. If the mayor's office the past four years can leave all the lights on at night. Then we can afford the electricity to run these important communication devices for Malden. All they have to do is turnoff off the lights in the offices when the last person leaves for the day. Make everyone feel like they belong, not just the people we are familiar with.
    Posted by 1775andStillaDemocrat

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1775andStillaDemocrat. Show 1775andStillaDemocrat's posts

The person that you quote most diffinitely was a racist. That was my intent, not the overall statement.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LastMaldenite. Show LastMaldenite's posts

The word had not been invented at the time and is typical left wing revisionist History.  It is akin to saying those who held slaves prior to lets say 1700 were racist.  The world condoned slavery it was the norm and expected in every place.  Was it racist?  Only as defined today.  These are statements to made a hundred years later to detract from those people who had an entirely different world view.  It is the same people who say Woodrow Wilson was a racist.  Defined only in todays terms he clearly was but he was the leader of the progressives at the time.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1775andStillaDemocrat. Show 1775andStillaDemocrat's posts

LastMaldenite: we learn from the mistakes of our past and why didn't TR ever discuss them again? They never even received any accomodation from it? That's still racist behavior, no matter how you slice it. I realize it was the times that dictates the realities of the momements in history that we are taught, but it was still a wrong that we now can right with the correct information.

Just like our gunboat diplomacy were we take Hawaii from a sovereign nation. I guess we needed it back then for our expansion and it was okay. It also secured Midway for us-that was our first victory many years later over Japan. History now peels back the reality that we were feed lies as kids. That is not unpatriotic, but a way for us not repeat the same mistakes of the past...peace!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1775andStillaDemocrat. Show 1775andStillaDemocrat's posts

Wilson invokes the war powers acts and silences the critics of WWI. I would never consider him a racist, just very unrealistic with his own expectation of the League of Nations, that his own government never ratified. Then the victors left Germany with nothing but nationalism. That is stoked by high debt war repayment to the victor, inflation and annexed German speaking people in other nations that all contributes to the madman that almost got his 1,000 year rule.

Wilson's idea of nations working together in a recognized body, did help create the UN.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hellgirl. Show hellgirl's posts

LastMaldenite, you write:

These are statements to made a hundred years later to detract from those people who had an entirely different world view.

Wouldn't this same statement apply to your rebuttal to me? That worldview, regardless of how you feel, is no longer valid. I actually agree with your opinion but the reality is not so any longer.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats2012Champs. Show Pats2012Champs's posts

I think this was the most advertised PRIMARY I ever saw. The people have to vote, you can not drag them out the house.

Was Mayor on the ticket? If not why have fallon signs out? Tacky.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1775andStillaDemocrat. Show 1775andStillaDemocrat's posts

Pats----many politicians do what she did on Tuesday, even when when they still run unopposed in the fall. It is great exposure to meet the electorate and stop some of the people that vote on that day for casting a blank vote.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Driver54. Show Driver54's posts

1775andstillademocrat----maybe Pats2012 should visit other cities and see what politicans do on election day's----She is so far out or
    stupid it is funny---
    Bob met a Cambridge Police Sargant today he knew me from my Family and asked how I liked Malden with its Corruption and butt kissing politicans ------ Hope they elect a Mayor with some gut and
    clean out all the Butt Kissers ---He lives in Melrose and said we are the Laughing stock with the cities around us for the way certain Councilors are corrupt but the city/voters  are  afraid to throw them
    out hoping to be given a hack job.
    For Fallon I hope she reads what i left her and can understand the
    English Language in print form.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrew25. Show andrew25's posts

You couldn't imply Teddy Roosevelt was a racist by today's standard never mind !00 years ago. He spoke out for racial equality in a time that it was not very popular. Not sure where you're getting your info from 1775.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1775andStillaDemocrat. Show 1775andStillaDemocrat's posts

Andrew that's your opinion, as the real troops that went up San Juan Hill where the 9th and 10th Buffalo Soldiers:

http://www.history.army.mil/documents/spanam/bssjh/Shbrt-BSSJH.htm

In addition to being more important than El Caney as an objective, San Juan was also Theodore Roosevelt�s stage. Roosevelt, of whom it was said that he never attended a wedding without wishing he was the bride or a funeral without wishing he was the corpse, was the unquestioned star of San Juan and by extension of the entire Cuban campaign. The commander of his regiment, Col. Leonard Wood, had been conveniently promoted out of the way, so Lieutenant Colonel Roosevelt had the Rough Riders all to himself.

But he did not have the battle for San Juan Heights all to himself. There were after all 8,000 men in the operation, a total of thirteen Regular Army regiments and two regiments of volunteers, including TR�s Rough Riders. The force included about 1,250 black troopers of the 9th and 10th Cavalry in Sumner�s Cavalry Division and the 24th Infantry in Kent�s 1st Division.

Critics have complained that Roosevelt erroneously and undeservedly claimed credit for the victory at San Juan Hill, when he actually was involved in the assault on Kettle Hill. In fact, he did play a prominent role in the fight for Kettle Hill. His volunteers, part of Sumner�s dismounted cavalry force, reached the top of Kettle Hill alongside black and white regulars. The actions of Color Sgt. George Berry of the 10th Cavalry, who carried the colors of the white 3d Cavalry up that hill along with his own regiment�s standard, reflected the shared nature of the operation, with black and white regulars and Rough Riders fighting side by side and with one group sometimes indistinguishable from the others.

Once Roosevelt reached the top of Kettle Hill, he watched Kent�s troops begin to overrun their objective on San Juan Hill. Still eager for a fight, he urged the men around him to follow him into the fray on San Juan. That�s when he found out what happens when you sound a charge and nobody comes. Only a handful of soldiers heard the great man, and he found himself at the head of an assault that consisted of five soldiers. Roosevelt retreated, regrouped, and assembled a more respectable force that reached the Spanish trenches in time to participate in the last of the fight. "There was," he said, "very great confusion at this time, the different regiments being completely intermingled�white regulars, colored regulars, and Rough Riders."6

Then there's this political expediant act by TR after he came back to run for president after the war in Cuba:

When Colonel Theodore Roosevelt returned from the command of the famous Rough Riders, he delivered a farewell address to his men, in which he made the following kind reference to the gallant Negro soldiers:

Taken from: http://www.authentichistory.com/1898-1913/4-imperialism/2-saw/4-afterward/index.html

Now, I want to say just a word more to some of the men I see standing around not of your number. I refer to the colored regiments, who occupied the right and left flanks of us at Guásimas, the Ninth and Tenth cavalry regiments. The Spaniards called them 'Smoked Yankees,' but we found them to be an excellent breed of Yankees. I am sure that I speak the sentiments of officers and men in the assemblage when I say that between you and the other cavalry regiments there exists a tie which we trust will never be broken.

Unfortunately, these heroes of Cuba returned home to discrimination, segregation, and even a revision of the importance of their contribution from Roosevelt himself. In 1899, writing for Scribner's magazine in an act of self-promotion, Roosevelt revised his earlier comments to criticize the performance of African Americans in the taking of San Juan Hill. He wrote that they were "peculiarly dependent on their white officers," and that they ran when encountering heavy enemy fire. Only when he threatened to shoot them, Roosevelt said, did they return to the line.

History can now let us look at these statements and make judgements from them. There might be a day 100 years from now that will judge George W. Bush in being correct in the invasion of a soveriegn nation without provocation and evidence.

There is another point to make about TR and his blind eye to racism-the Jim Crow laws that existed in the South--he really did great things for the cause...please, open your eyes and look at history from all perspectives. When we were children, our history books had TR charging up San Juan Hill, with all white troops. There were 2,000 African Americans out of 15,000 and they sustained 35% of the casualties. 

Here are my facts and now is your time to defend the Great White Hunter. I had my eyes opened a very long time ago and please remember history was written by white men for the white masses. Want to debate this topic in greater detail? I felt very ashamed of our country what we did back then in regards to Imperialism. I view it that if we did not take these countries, our rivals would have done so very soon. It still did not make it right.... 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1775andStillaDemocrat. Show 1775andStillaDemocrat's posts

Lol..Car545, you have the audacity to question if anyone can understand the English language, when you can't write it? You sure that the officer was not taking testimony or a statement from you?

Have a great day....wow.......

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats2012Champs. Show Pats2012Champs's posts

1775andstillademocrat----maybe Pats2012 should visit other cities and see what politicans do on election day's----She is so far out or stupid it is funny--- Bob met a Cambridge Police Sargant today he knew me from my Family and asked how I liked Malden with its Corruption and butt kissing politicans ------ Hope they elect a Mayor with some gut and clean out all the Butt Kissers ---He lives in Melrose and said we are the Laughing stock with the cities around us for the way certain Councilors are corrupt but the city/voters  are  afraid to throw them out hoping to be given a hack job. For Fallon I hope she reads what i left her and can understand the English Language in print form.
    Posted by Driver54

This this happen while you were on a walk to your fav ice cream place to meet Scott Brown? Or was it on the way to collect money from the Mafia? Or was it on the way to meet Obama to talk about his Jobs bill? Or was it on the way to see the Red Sox because they love you?

Your so full of crap Driver. You do not leave  your house unless you are going to the senior center. I know. TheDriversLog put a GPS in your shoes.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from LastMaldenite. Show LastMaldenite's posts

Yea its too bad we didn't have a Teddy Roosevelt or a Bill McKinley in the White House today.  Instead of the mess we got into we would have obliterated them and made Iraq a protectorate with us owning those oilfields until all our debts got paid off.  

Sections
Shortcuts