Gary Christensons Platform
posted at 8/31/2011 12:48 PM EDT
This is a mayoral platform. This is taken straight from GC's site. http://www.christensonformayor.com/issues.html
This is DF platform (Missing Platform). Taken right from her site.http://deborahfallonformayor.com/
So I ask, who is running the better campaign?
Lets look over GCs Platform.
Gary understands a redesign of City Hall will strengthen the heart of Malden’s commercial district.
- Gary proposes to redevelop City Hall site into residential office and retail space similar to Station Landing and Oak Grove Village
- Gary will reinvest proceeds from the sale of City Hall site to offset costs of essential municipal projects such as a new Police Station, East Side Fire Station and Public Works building
- Gary will relocate City Hall departments to vacant office space in the downtown area
Gary is dedicated to public safety by ensuring that Malden is a safe and healthy place to live and raise a family.
- Gary pledges his best efforts to build a new Police Station in a central location to improve access to all points in the City
- Gary will make it a priority to put more police on the streets and increase patrols
- Gary subscribes to the “broken windows theory” and will ensure that graffiti, debris, street lights out, etc. are addressed in a timely manner
- Gary will enforce laws against illegal apartments, rooming houses and hold code violators accountable
- Gary will empower neighborhoods to organize into effective crime prevention coalitions, and help citizens create their own watches
- Gary will work to hire more firefighters and upgrade firefighting equipment
- Gary will dedicate funding to make repairs to and maintain defective fire hydrants across the City
- Gary will look to realize Fire Dept. savings by exploring:
- elimination of outdated fire alarm street boxes
- integrating Fire Department technology into City IT infrastructure
Changing the Culture of City
Gary will improve City Hall communication and accountability.
- Gary will enhance the City website to post contracts, bids, and other information to fulfill his pledge of Government transparency
- Gary will update residents with relevant information and listen to their input on City matters through:
- Social media
- Email updates
- Comprehensive e-newsletters
- Traditional channels of communication
- Gary will establish a tracking system for citizen issues (e.g., potholes, streetlights, etc.) to improve accountability, achieve resolution, and, most importantly, deliver quality service
- Development of “311” City Call Center to direct constituents to the right dept. when calling City Hall.
- Gary will propose flexible City Hall hours to improve customer service
- Gary will be a “Mayor on the Move” by regularly working remotely throughout Malden to interact with citizens more directly
Malden’s Waste and Recycling Program
Gary recognizes the importance of a clean and attractive city.
- Gary will develop a modified trash pick-up contract, where no PAYT bag is required until after the first 33-gallon barrel is filled
- Gary will work to implement ‘single stream’ recycling
- Gary will seek outside funding to provide covered 64-gallon recycling containers
- Gary champions lowering the minimum voter threshold necessary for ballot measures, such as the repeal of the blue bags, and will continue to listen to the voices of his constituents
Gary is committed to caring for residents and their families by ensuring a positive community environment.
- Gary will enhance natural resources and green spaces throughout the City with projects like Bike to the Sea, River Walk and playgrounds and will continue with tree plantings around the City
- Gary will work with local youth organizations to provide quality teen programs
- Gary will focus on the appearance of the City by launching an anti-litter campaign
- Gary will promote the pride, spirit, and community of Malden by sponsoring such events as movie nights, concerts, and parades
- Gary will work to expand the Residential Tax Exemption Program that rewards homeowners who make their home in the City with an annual property tax reduction
- Gary will continue to promote Malden into as a desirable community for artists and will strive to establish a community arts center
Quality Education for our Children
Gary worked hard to maintain high standards and a sound budget to provide a quality education for Malden’s children, preparing him for the Mayor’s role as chairman of the committee.
- Gary will maintain optimal classroom sizes for students and teachers
- Gary will continue to support after-school programs like Partnership for Community Schools
- Gary will partner with the Parents’ Advisory Council on Special Education issues
- Gary will work to ensure preservation and upkeep of our multi-million dollar investment in our schools
- Gary will pursue Energy Performance Contracting to guarantee annual energy savings
- Gary will recreate the partnership between Malden Police and the School Department to restore school resource officers
- Gary will work to increase traffic enforcement during drop-off and pickup at Malden Schools
Gary is adamant that supporting and strengthening Malden businesses is crucial to creating jobs and getting our economy back on track.
- Gary will solicit new businesses to open in Malden with streamlined permitting and business networking opportunities
- Gary will make it easier for existing businesses to grow their operations by creating a one-stop business office to help navigate City Hall requirements
- Gary will work on the development of neighborhood business districts such as Maplewood Square and Linden Square
- Gary will work to improve parking, crosswalks, and signs that will encourage our citizens to utilize Malden businesses
Alot more work then DF has done in the time she announced she would run.
She has asked in the past for $100 a plate at some fundraisers. She has not shown up for campaign meetings and even blew off some of her fundraisers. She was asked to speak at different events that she was directly involved in, and never showed up. Left meetings that concerned public safety and her team has posted numerous threats.
Is this the type of person we want to run our city? One who will not return an email?
Where is the money she has made going to? Not many firemen back DF. The union does. The FM that live here that are not buying into the hype of DF have openly showed support for GC. They know money is not there.
Imagine the mess she will be in if she becomes mayor with the other unions when the next budget comes around? They will say "Hey you gave so much to the FD, we want the same." Then she will have to cut jobs in important areas to do this. And we will be in a bigger mess. This goes beyond the SAFER grant and what ever other grants. Grants are an added bonus. IF THE CITY DOES NOT HAVE THE MONEY, PEOPLE NEED TO BE CUT. That means, Police, Teachers, DPW workers and so on. The next mayor needs to be fair across the board. And who is talking more? Who is out in the public more? Who is on shows talking? Who is reaching out more? Who is more active and showing they want to be your next Mayor? Christenson is.
Now you can attack me all you want. But the squeaky wheel gets the oil (Votes). And the city has spoken. His fund raiser broke the record for most people in Anthonys big hall. Butch was the last one and had less people but held the record for most people.
The people of Malden have spoken. And they will speak again at the polls. Malden is better off with GC then without.