If you are against Charter Schools don't watch The Lottery

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shoes-MeLikey. Show Shoes-MeLikey's posts

If you are against Charter Schools don't watch The Lottery

Last night I watched an interesting film about four children hoping to get into a charter school in Harlem, NY. A portion of the film was about the school trying to expand and the people against it.

The Lottery - Four children enter a high-stakes lottery. If they win, they can attend one of the best schools in New York. A look at the crisis in public education.   

This movie could be compared with MVRCS easily.  I have the same question as always - One of the best schools... how can people be against children get the best possible education..i just don't get it!! 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats2012Champs. Show Pats2012Champs's posts

Re: If you are against Charter Schools don't watch The Lottery

Because they had bad experiences and want to blame it on everyone.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVconcernedparent. Show MVconcernedparent's posts

I am not against charter schools, but I am against how MVRCS is run.  My tax dollars, and yours, go to this school where parents have no say in mostly everything.  The Board of MV acts as though they personally own the school.  There is too much secrative deals and nepotism going on. Complaints to the DOE and other officials are not acted upon.  If a parent brings up an issue that the school doesn't agree with, their child/children face some type of retaliation.  The school should be fostering a good relationship with all parents for the well being of all students, but they don't.

The total average SAT score for MV was 1553 compared to Malden High's 1421.  That is good, but I don't understand how Newsweek ranks MV as one of the top high schools in MA when these scores are average.  MV is not in the top 25 schools according to the SAT chart on this site.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVCSparent. Show MVCSparent's posts

Waiting for Superman is eye opening.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVInsider. Show MVInsider's posts

The issues most of us vocal, out-spoken individuals have with MVRCS are typically related not to the school itself but the manner in which the school is managed. Neil Kinnon, a man with no background, education, or experience in education, has managed to take over the school. Some of his actions have very serious long term, negative consequences for the children.
    His sister in law being Director of Special Education is the perfect example. She stepped into the position over individuals who had more experience and education in special education as a direct result of her relationship to Neil. I can't even imagine how many students received substandard educations as a result of her not understanding the dynamics of special education but of her not following the laws that regulate special education. Yes, many children receive a great education there but too many have not and it is continuing. She once put a child inside of a box (no top on it but still) as punishment for his learning disability. Nothing like signaling that poor child out for not learning like others. Would you want YOUR child subjected to that?

Yes, some charter schools are doing some exceptional things but just like many organizations, companies, associations, and the like, it all depends on the management. Unfortunately, MVRCS has been taken over and is being poorly managed by an individual who does not believe that the laws and regulations apply to him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats2012Champs. Show Pats2012Champs's posts

So is the lottery like a Bingo night? Anyone can go? Can you win prizes?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shoes-MeLikey. Show Shoes-MeLikey's posts

MVinsider:  I'm not sure what the box exercise could do for anyone.  But I hear great things about special ed and not so great things about special ed.  I think it depends on the child and their needs.  I also can understand wanting to get the best education for my child.  If I felt my child was not getting what they needed, whether it was public, private, or charter, I would keep looking. I would not waste time complaining and asking for specific help. I would use that time finding the perfect school for my child. It may sound selfish, but when it comes to my children, they come first before any others and I'm going to get them the best I can.  

On a Kinnon note:  I don't have an issue with Kinnon.  I think he needs to act the way he does, because if he doesn't he will get called on that as well.  He's in a no win situation.  and to be honest, if people complained about me all the time, I'd come across as arogant as well.  good for him for sticking up for himself!!   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats2012Champs. Show Pats2012Champs's posts

Shoes  agree with you.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVconcernedparent. Show MVconcernedparent's posts

To Shoes & Pats,

MVinsider stated the box thing was a punishment NOT an exercise.  I can only imagine the terror that that poor child experienced and the lasting effect it had on him/her.  I am shocked and see it as a form of child abuse.

Many parents can't afford to send their children to a private school. 

Shoes states:

"It may sound selfish, but when it comes to my children, they come first before any others and I'm going to get them the best I can."

Very selfish!

I love my children dearly and would lay down my life for them.  Yet, I have taught them that everybody is as equal and deserving as they are. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVCSparent. Show MVCSparent's posts

yea an my kids got the chinese water torture also.  MVinsider aka Annie Oakley etc etc is a despicable liar who will say anything at all to harm MV.   No idea what it is really all about except she has an obsession and should join Driver on his trip to Martha's Vineyard to tell the president on everyone.  Please nobody can possibly believe this crank.  Anyone really think the Department of Education wouldn't have been all over that.  2000 people waiting to get in and very few leaving.  Take your pick on who to believe. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shoes-MeLikey. Show Shoes-MeLikey's posts

Concerned Parent:  Where did I state that I can afford private school for my kids?  My statement was "the best I can"  If I felt the Charter wasn't the best for my child, I would find another school instead of pushing for change and not getting my child the best I CAN.  I have to believe the DOE is on top of these things, especially if a complaint about a child being abused.  Something doesn't sound right with that one and I think I would have heard about that happening as well.   

I don't think its selfish to set them up to succeed..setting them up to fail just so I can pat myself on the back sounds more selfish to me...but different opinions are what make this wonderful world of ours go round

In Response to Re: If you are against Charter Schools don't watch The Lottery:
    [QUOTE]To Shoes & Pats, MVinsider stated the box thing was a punishment NOT an exercise.  I can only imagine the terror that that poor child experienced and the lasting effect it had on him/her.  I am shocked and see it as a form of child abuse. Many parents can't afford to send their children to a private school.  Shoes states: "It may sound selfish, but when it comes to my children, they come first before any others and I'm going to get them the best I can." Very selfish! I love my children dearly and would lay down my life for them.  Yet, I have taught them that everybody is as equal and deserving as they are. 
    Posted by MVconcernedparent[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVCSparent. Show MVCSparent's posts

Laughing

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1775andStillaDemocrat. Show 1775andStillaDemocrat's posts

In Response to Re: If you are against Charter Schools don't watch The Lottery:
    [QUOTE]yea an my kids got the chinese water torture also.  MVinsider aka Annie Oakley etc etc is a despicable liar who will say anything at all to harm MV.   No idea what it is really all about except she has an obsession and should join Driver on his trip to Martha's Vineyard to tell the president on everyone.  Please nobody can possibly believe this crank.  Anyone really think the Department of Education wouldn't have been all over that.  2000 people waiting to get in and very few leaving.  Take your pick on who to believe. 
    Posted by MVCSparent[/QUOTE]

What is sad that if there is 2,000 children waiting to get in, why are there not more schools being built, then gyms? The No-Child Left Behind Act, is suppose to have substandard school districts disappear from the alternate school options that exist in the nation. I would assume if Malden can't support the influx of additional students, then the other cimmunities would have to give the MVCS the same type of resources that Malden has given over the past few years. 

I do take exception to you placing Annie in the same category as Frank...AKA Driver...that was very low and not called for in 
    my opinion, as we all realize that she doesn't like Mr. Kinnon. Whether it is warranted from her, without me seeing the entire picture, I do not know if she has legitimate grievances against him or the Board. I do know that she realizes that her children RECEIVED an AWESOME education. That is what I base her comments on when I review them. Very seldom do I make any comments about the MVCS, as I have supported some of the school's past athletic efforts when I was an administrator of youth sports in Malden-no hidden agenda here, as I am an MC graduate. 

Last comment-I promise. How could you write that Frank and Annie could travel together to see the president on his vacation this week? Did you forget that Frank has a meeting with the Governor to resolve the state's bond rating and highway safety money from the federal government....pisshaw...... 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hellgirl. Show hellgirl's posts

MVCSParent: I have never seen AnnieO say anything to harm the school itself. In fact, she's encouraged me to look into it when our daughter is school-aged and she has publicly stated that her children received a good education there.

Her contention is not MVRCS itself - it's how (and by whom) it's managed. As a MVRCS parent, she has every right to voice her opinions on those matters, whether or not you believe they're fair or just.

To lump her in the same category as Driver54 is nearly libelous. While she and I may not see eye to eye on some things, I do know that she's a genuinely good person,  decidedly NOT a stalker (unlike Frank) and is fairly coherent in her protestations (also unlike Frank). She can even stay on topic and tends to refrain from threatening people (unlike Frank in both cases there) as well!

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats2012Champs. Show Pats2012Champs's posts

im starting to see AnnieO is not againt the school, Just how it is ran. So hats off to her.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from taxplayer. Show taxplayer's posts

He Carol, You look Marvelous. And since I know you fairlywell, I wouldn't want to go down that path. Good for you for calling them out. Lets see if they have any ba**s to retract there B.S. Probably not....they never do..... Signed someone from your past.....n Response to Re: If you are against Charter Schools don't watch The Lottery:
    [QUOTE]One more thing MaldenLifer, I strongly suggest that you contact Boston.com and ask them to check to see if any of the messages above were posted by me. Remember, it is always best to do the right thing. You are my past, and one would have thought that you would have liked it that way. What a shame that you chose to set foot in my path again as well. Do the right thing, and we'll call it a day! Carol
    Posted by MAJusticeOfThePeace[/QUOTE]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats2012Champs. Show Pats2012Champs's posts

nice threats. just do it.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from taxplayer. Show taxplayer's posts

You removed it because your a man of integrity????  I dont think so... She called you out and you had no choice. Be a man and admit it!!!!!n Response to Re: If you are against Charter Schools don't watch The Lottery:
    [QUOTE]mvinsider sorry for not properly identifying you. (jeesh the other one really went off) She asked that i remove the post which included a name similar to hers (i doubt she is the only one with that first name and last initial  - but we all remember that song "your so vain you probaly think this song is about you") - anyway being a man of integrity i removed my intial post
    Posted by maldenlifer[/QUOTE]

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from AnnieOMalden. Show AnnieOMalden's posts

maldenlifer: Why don't you check your facts again-my kids have only been out of the school ONE year. Whether you realize it or not, I still have family in the school so you aren't rid of me yet! We are one of the founding families of the school and will always have an interest in what happens there. Aren't my tax dollars being squandered there on an athletic facility before the original charter based on academics if fulfilled?

MaldensVeryCrazySchizoparent: You are now calling me a "despicable liar" and again accusing me of being MVInsider? I am not MVInsider and will admit I admire how dedicated they are to making sure the school complies with the laws and restrictions put on everyone else altho they feel they don't have to comply. It is not a lie a child was put in a box and yes, the DOE was contacted and this is why it was stopped. Imagine the parent finding out from a friend who witnessed this child in the box and called to alert them? The child did not tell their parents for fear of what would happen and had just assumed it was ok because the school is the authority figure and they didn't know they could question them. Kinda makes you wonder what else they have done to kids that no one knows about or have just pulled their kids once they realized there was no opportunity to change things. How far do you think something goes when they are told by the DOE to go to the board and the chairman is the brother-in-law of the SPED director that he put in place? But there is no "konflict of interest" here, right? C'mon call me more names, don't bother to dispute what is said, just attack me.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from taxplayer. Show taxplayer's posts

Hey Carol.... I wish you woulld loose your "integrity" and let us all know who maldenlifer is.......but, I know you have more class than that.................n Response to Re: If you are against Charter Schools don't watch The Lottery:
    [QUOTE]That's O.K,. Maldenlifer, you just continue with your insults. Integrity? What integrity? You are still insulting me. Rest assure that you are so correct about that song, because you know what? There was only one Carol M at MV. Thank goodness for you. I make no apologies for staying after you to do the right thing for children with learning disabilities. For that, I will never, ever apologize. You must have had the biggest party when I left, because I was the one and only parent from hell for you. Everyone else was scared off. Not me. I proudly say that a lot of what your school is now doing for children, is a result of my watching you at all times, and making sure that you implemented those things to help children with learning disabilities. I've no shame whatsoever. Call me vain if you wish.
    Posted by MAJusticeOfThePeace[/QUOTE]

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrew25. Show andrew25's posts

"I truly did walk away from that school once my child graduated." Really? You expect me to believe they didn't offer your child an opportunity to repeat K-12!?!? I have to admit I've yet to have a child graduate from high school but let it be known...if I'm not invited back at least twice a year I'm going to be pissed!

Carol, have you had the pleasure of meeting my friend AnnieO. She seems to have had a similar experience. I like to call it "the Kinnon Spell". You're put into a deep trance until your child graduates with an exceptional education then you wake up screaming like a maniac that you were forced into the whole time. I'll have to be careful but it seems to only effect women at this stage.

BTW... if you have information that parents should be aware of it's not "professional" or "doing the right thing" not to disclose it. It's a disservice to the children at the school.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from AnnieOMalden. Show AnnieOMalden's posts

A25: "BTW... if you have information that parents should be aware of it's not "professional" or "doing the right thing" not to disclose it. It's a disservice to the children at the school." Really? When people disclose this information, you just bash them! Yes, I do know Carol. She has worked so hard to effect change in the school which you are enjoying now. Why do you have to bash those of us who have worked to make the school a better one? People stay at a school or leave a school for a variety of reasons. Maybe staying at the school is the lesser of the evils for some people. Maybe they have hope things will change and the result will be better in the long run? I would think you would want to be aware of things that have gone on in the school so you would not be blindsided and be better prepared to do what you think is right or necessary. No school is perfect or couldn't stand improvement. You can sit back and let those who run the school continue to put its future in jeopardy by skirting the laws and losing their focus on students. Just don't say you had no idea or weren't warned.