Malden Schools Ranked at the Bottom: 119 of 135 Statewide

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hellgirl. Show hellgirl's posts

Malden Schools Ranked at the Bottom: 119 of 135 Statewide

I'm curious to know how or even if the MVRCS was part of this survey and contributed to the ranking; but I'm even more curious to know how the current administration's supporters justify this rank AND how the opposition (read: candidates for all offices currently up for election) plans to fix this.

119 of 135 = 16th from the very bottom of the barrel. We all know that school ranking is a major contributing factor to families' decisions to move to (or stay in) a community. This rank along with the public safety issues we face and the lack of notable commerce does not bode well for healthy growth in Malden.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from activemaldonian. Show activemaldonian's posts

Re: Malden Schools Ranked at the Bottom: 119 of 135 Statewide

I was so disheartened to read this article.  We need to put the schools on TOP of the priority list!
    Now certainly is not the time to be transferring 600,000 out of the school's budget into the cities!
    I also would like to hear some responses on plans for the schools.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Maldenlady. Show Maldenlady's posts

Over the past several years, I've known quite a few families that have moved out of the area *because* of what they're seeing in the schools...My sense is that public education, like a lot of the infrastructure, has taken a back seat nationwide for at least 20 years, and we're now seeing the repurcussions.  It's gotten to the  point where home schooling is considered more and more mainstream, and parents work their rear ends off to afford a private school...

I think we're going to see this at the college and university level as well.  Already, colleges are offering remedial English and Math classes, because many in the the incoming class are not equipped to compete on the college level.

All that rant notwithstanding, even though I see the decline of public education as a national problem, c'mon, Malden!  How do we recruit better teachers?  Make the schools safer and more condusive to learning?  What can Malden offer as incentive?  16th from the bottom is not good, and hellgirl is right, the town's gonna pay a price for it...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hellgirl. Show hellgirl's posts

MaldenLady: My toddler daughter's "best friend" and his siblings are now part of that increasing trend in home-schooling. I know that home-schooling, like cloth diapers, organic foods, and not being vaccinated are becoming hallmarks for kids being raised by the generation hot on my own's heels!

I also know that I wanted to home-school, but it's impossible with the cost of living so instead, we're still planning our move out of Malden and working our bums off for private education down the line. Only two years left to save for her schooling. :(

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Maldenlady. Show Maldenlady's posts

Ah, helllgirl, I have gotten so much out of your posts...I've really enjoyed reading what you have to say, and my heart goes out to you...you've dealt with a lot of disappointment since your move back to Malden, yet have remained very wise and wonderful in these posts.  If I had small chidren, I gotta be honest, I'd think very hard about moving, too...

I think that Malden will lose something very special when you move.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hellgirl. Show hellgirl's posts

In Response to Re: Malden Schools Ranked at the Bottom: 119 of 135 Statewide:
    [QUOTE]Ah, helllgirl, I have gotten so much out of your posts...I've really enjoyed reading what you have to say, and my heart goes out to you...you've dealt with a lot of disappointment since your move back to Malden, yet have remained very wise and wonderful in these posts.  If I had small chidren, I gotta be honest, I'd think very hard about moving, too... I think that Malden will lose something very special when you move.  
    Posted by Maldenlady[/QUOTE]

I...I'm just a little bit speechless, MaldenLady. Thank you and a huge hug to you too. It's these little things that pop up from time to time that remind me there are still bright spots in the city. You just totally made my day. :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from laurie19. Show laurie19's posts

Pay for performance and you'll quickly weed out the teachers who hide behind the union system floating by.   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hellgirl. Show hellgirl's posts

laurie19: I do agree. But I also think that parents have a stake in this too. If emphasis in the home isn't on education, it'll show in the classroom. Nevertheless, it appears that Malden definitely needs to do something if it wants to grow as a city.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Driver54. Show Driver54's posts

HELLGIRL----the situation on the malden education is two fold one is
    that there is no leadership in the school system maybe the new super can change that, next is pay for performance and the senority  system and teachers evaluations ----these have to change;
    Malden School Committee and the Mayor knew what was being published and never fore warned the parents about it, instead there
    is anger with the way it was put out to the public.
    Change has to start at the Top and this mayor and city council and
    school committee never met to address this issue which means things need to change but voting out the old guard and bring in new
    ideas to make the changes.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fscib52. Show fscib52's posts

Come On.
    We all know why the school system is failing in Malden. It is not the teachers.
    They brag at the high school, "We have 58 languages spoken here in Malden." How about one language spoken in malden, ENGLISH. I wonder how many illegals attend Malden High? I was at the high school in 1973. you only heard english spoken, and they only had latin and french as the other languages offered. If it wasn't for the asian kids, our ranking would be 135.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewdeer. Show andrewdeer's posts

So you're telling me that all those signs along Main St, where the Granada Bowling Alley was, are incorrect?  According to those signs, Malden Schools are doing a wonderful job of teaching.  Maybe this is why no politians kids goes to public school, they all win the MVRCS lottery.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats2012Champs. Show Pats2012Champs's posts

Most the schools here in Malden are good. The kids get great grades and the teachers work hard. Can anyone explain why we got a low rank?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Julii. Show Julii's posts

Those 135 ranked were from a pool of 300 districts statewide. The article is misleading, but succeeded in stirring up the pot, as the reporter changed the title of the original list of "Boston's Best Schools" to Malden ranks 119 of 135 statewide. It sure sounds like there are 135 districts statewide, and we rank 119. This is not the case. Misleading.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Driver54. Show Driver54's posts

Julii---FYI----Read the article in Boston Mazz. it ranks the top 50
    school districts ---malden was never mentioned----I do not know
    how the ranking were done but they must have a chart and what
    they used for a criteria to make such a statement it also has to be
    made public so find out who release the ranking and asked to see how it was completed. To be ranked 119 out of 135 someone needs
    to explain how we were ranked so low.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from WardWatch. Show WardWatch's posts

Andrew, I can't believe that anyone would mislead the people of Malden.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats2012Champs. Show Pats2012Champs's posts

[QUOTE]Andrew, I can't believe that anyone would mislead the people of Malden.
    Posted by WardWatch[/QUOTE]

Like cooking books? That must work out great when the state cuts funds to the cities with "LOW CRIME" rates. Thanks Chef!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from WardWatch. Show WardWatch's posts

Say it ain't so Pats. By the way love the blog funny stuff

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hellgirl. Show hellgirl's posts

Julii: I'm confused as to the title change you state in the article. Many of these districts aren't in or very near Boston (Hamilton-Wenham, Newburyport, Nashoba...). It appears that this is actually a statewide ranking, not a "Boston' Best" ranking.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from overthere. Show overthere's posts

[QUOTE]Julii: I'm confused as to the title change you state in the article. Many of these districts aren't in or very near Boston (Hamilton-Wenham, Newburyport, Nashoba...). It appears that this is actually a statewide ranking, not a "Boston' Best" ranking.
    Posted by hellgirl[/QUOTE]

If this is statewide, where are the other 200 districts? Where are the Springfields and Lawrences of the state?

If you look at the top of the list, they are all homogenized upper/upper-middle income communities. When all you look at is the standardized test scores and graduation rates then these rankings will always skew towards the districts with very low rates of ESL and lower income. Living in one of those communities and paying the taxes there is equivalent to sending your kid to a private school.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hawthorne3. Show hawthorne3's posts

I don't think this article is fair. Malden schools are doing a wonderful job with my kids.  You get what you put in.  It's unfortunate that we have alot of kids in our system that lack parental involvement, but to bash a whole city is wrong!   

Maybe I am wrong, but didn't this magazine list Malden High as one of the best public schools a few years back? 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hellgirl. Show hellgirl's posts

overthere: I definitely noted the homogenization at the top of the list. I guess my question is more to the authors of the article at this point: This list is clearly not a Boston's Best given the distance of many districts noted from the Greater Metro Area (many do fall outside of the 128/495 loop) but if it's true that 165 districts are missing from the rankings, then it can't be called a "statewide" list either. So...what is it?!

hawthorne3: That's great to hear with respect to your kids doing well. I definitely agree that education is a multi-fold prospect that involves the students and PARENTS as much as the teachers. And I certainly see enough parents around us who couldn't care less about what their kids do in terms of education. But it's still a pretty abysmal ranking, even among the similar incomed/diverse communities. I wonder why.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Educatedmaldonian. Show Educatedmaldonian's posts

[QUOTE]Those 135 ranked were from a pool of 300 districts statewide. The article is misleading, but succeeded in stirring up the pot, as the reporter changed the title of the original list of "Boston's Best Schools" to Malden ranks 119 of 135 statewide. It sure sounds like there are 135 districts statewide, and we rank 119. This is not the case. Misleading.
    Posted by Julii[/QUOTE]

Thank you for posting.  This is very interesting and something I did not pick up on.  I forgot these blogs can actually be useful!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Educatedmaldonian. Show Educatedmaldonian's posts

[QUOTE]overthere: I definitely noted the homogenization at the top of the list. I guess my question is more to the authors of the article at this point: This list is clearly not a Boston's Best given the distance of many districts noted from the Greater Metro Area (many do fall outside of the 128/495 loop) but if it's true that 165 districts are missing from the rankings, then it can't be called a "statewide" list either. So...what is it?! hawthorne3: That's great to hear with respect to your kids doing well. I definitely agree that education is a multi-fold prospect that involves the students and PARENTS as much as the teachers. And I certainly see enough parents around us who couldn't care less about what their kids do in terms of education. But it's still a pretty abysmal ranking, even among the similar incomed/diverse communities. I wonder why.
    Posted by hellgirl[/QUOTE]

I agree, it definitely takes the parents being involved! Malden High School had a great group of graduates this year and many to Ivy League schools so something is going right.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from monkey45. Show monkey45's posts

It is not only Malden it is the system itself.  How many kids do you know that can make change without a computer and gawd help you if you give them the correct change.  How many kids cannot tell time if the clock is not digital.  We laugh at Jay Leno's Jaywalking but college kids do not know the answer to basic geography or history questions.  It is called the dumbing down of America and we as parents are a part of the problem.