Malden Schools Ranked at the Bottom: 119 of 135 Statewide

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Maldenlady. Show Maldenlady's posts

Re: Malden Schools Ranked at the Bottom: 119 of 135 Statewide

Monkey45 you're singin' my song!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1775andStillaDemocrat. Show 1775andStillaDemocrat's posts

I just want to state that a top ranked official in the Malden School Department once made a statement in comparison of the top 100 students at MHS and MC on where they go to college after graduation. That there were many similiarities with the students of each school. I agree with that statement now, as I did then. However it is the other 300+ students that graduate from MHS we must address and demand from our educators that the focus is to give the best skills available to them. This will allow them to compete in the global economy. Not to flip burgers (all work is honorable) at the local fast food joint on Broadway.  

What is the unemployment rate for people with an undergraduate degree? 5.3-5.5% Seems like we need to set our priorities straight and focus on higher education, even for the children that might not be able to attend college. The good paying jobs that are created now, require professionals that maintain and aspire to a life-time of learning. Brain power is what pays these days....

When will we stop teaching to the test, and require students to think for themselves?   

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Julii. Show Julii's posts

In Response to Re: Malden Schools Ranked at the Bottom: 119 of 135 Statewide:
    [QUOTE]Julii: I'm confused as to the title change you state in the article. Many of these districts aren't in or very near Boston (Hamilton-Wenham, Newburyport, Nashoba...). It appears that this is actually a statewide ranking, not a "Boston' Best" ranking.
    Posted by hellgirl[/QUOTE]

It is confusing! Click on the link in the article, and a list will come up with the title "Boston's Best Schools". Then I tried to get an actual number of how many school districts Mass. actually has, but only found an alphabetical listing of school districts. I started counting and got well up into the 200's before I got bleary eyed and lost actual count. 300 districts is an estimate, not an actual count.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Julii. Show Julii's posts

I should clarify that this list of Bostons best, from the link in Matt Byrne's article, was the list used to quote Malden as 119 out of 135 statewide. Some clarification is given at the bottom of the list as to how the math was done, and by whom, but not how the list was compiled.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Driver54. Show Driver54's posts

Julii----Welcome to the World of Confussion and Political Stupidity
    they never explain fully how they get to the final conclussion. Again
    Matt Byrne should of explained in his article how the ranking was done and who put the Information together for him to read.
    Like I said Welcome to the World of ConFusion;

Education starts with good teachers and updated materials for them to teach the children, most time what hurts the teaching profession

is Tenure, Senority, Pay  ---Too Many good Young teachers are being overlooked for Polticians getting their friends and family the jobs good teachers should have; Finally it is also the Parents role to
    be part of their childs education by attending PTA Meetings and meeting with teachers on an individual basis;

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Maldengal. Show Maldengal's posts

[QUOTE]Ah, helllgirl, I have gotten so much out of your posts...I've really enjoyed reading what you have to say, and my heart goes out to you...you've dealt with a lot of disappointment since your move back to Malden, yet have remained very wise and wonderful in these posts.  If I had small chidren, I gotta be honest, I'd think very hard about moving, too... I think that Malden will lose something very special when you move.  
    Posted by Maldenlady[/QUOTE]

I second this Hellgirl. I too enjoy reading your posts. Malden needs more people like you! Smile

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hellgirl. Show hellgirl's posts

julii: The MA government has a page that breaks down all ranking here: http://profiles.doe.mass.edu/ It appears that you can pull reports on each column of data offered for every public district (as well as charter, which is still public education...) in the state. I suppose a retired statistician could have a field day compiling a more relevant report?

I'm still confused with respect to the article though.

Maldengal: Awww. Thank you! This forum is definitely the last place I would have expected to receive any love. You guys made my week! Huge hugs for you too. :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Driver54. Show Driver54's posts

Hellgirl---you are a good person and I went to that site and it was to  me totally confusing and would take someone with alot of knowledge working with figures to undersatnd half the Process.
    Thank you again;

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats2012Champs. Show Pats2012Champs's posts

[QUOTE]Hellgirl---you are a good person and I went to that site and it was to  me totally confusing and would take someone with alot of knowledge working with figures to undersatnd half the Process. Thank you again;
    Posted by Driver54[/QUOTE]

U are a good person he says. Last week and next week he will call you names.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hellgirl. Show hellgirl's posts

Pats: I've figured out that it's mood based and the name calling probably doesn't mean anything other than he's PO'd at that moment in time and you/me/he/she got in his line of sight (intentionally or not). Thanks for showing me the comment. Duly noted and...