Mysterious Malden Util Bill?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Re: Mysterious Malden Util Bill?

I recently moved to Malden last April.  My landlord left a message in tenants mailbox's regarding water bill a month ago.  After realizing we are not using any more than normal usuage (we all work) I recommended he make the city come out and check the meter.  He said his bill in August was over $500 and there are only 2 tenants in the building.  Have you contacted the city?  Any results I can pass on to him?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cantbreath. Show cantbreath's posts

the water bills have doubled. 
    We pay the MWRA rate plus any water infrastructure for new development, maintenance of infrastructure and city water use. Ride down commercial st before, during, after a rain they are watering the acres of sod.
    Increased development, increased density and what do you know? Higher costs for us. No quality of life though. None.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gutclencher. Show Gutclencher's posts

In Response to Re: Mysterious Malden Util Bill?:
    [QUOTE]I recently moved to Malden last April.  My landlord left a message in tenants mailbox's regarding water bill a month ago.  After realizing we are not using any more than normal usuage (we all work) I recommended he make the city come out and check the meter.  He said his bill in August was over $500 and there are only 2 tenants in the building.  Have you contacted the city?  Any results I can pass on to him?
    Posted by ambergirl[/QUOTE]

This issue with the water bill is a problem.  With your info, that makes three locations in Malden now with outrageous water bills in the same price range.  My bill was over $400.  I called the city.  They told me to hire a plumber.  The other Malden resident also called city hall and was also told to hire a plumber to check for leaks.  We are all checking for leaks and not finding anything.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from scootcha. Show scootcha's posts

It should not be an MWRA issue.

Malden Percent Change from FY09 +5.9%

http://www.mwra.state.ma.us/annual/rates/fy2010/assessments2010.pdf

via

http://www.mwra.state.ma.us/finance/rates.htm

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from disgustedinmalden. Show disgustedinmalden's posts

Yes!!  Last summer my water bill was 500.00 in July and another 500.00 in August.  This past Summer my bill was 450.00 in July and 250.00 in August.  It is my husband and myself.  I called and they told me we had a leak I shut the main water line off before we went to bed and the water meter reading was the same numbers in the morning.  There is no leak!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Csurvivor. Show Csurvivor's posts

Ok so we all being told the same thing, call a plumber.

We've been having this problem for a while. We had the city come out and look and the man reset my meter and told us there was nothing wrong and that we should file paperwork for a hearing to dispute our bills. They said no at the hearing. When I say outrageously high bills, so much so that a lien was placed on our home because we couldn't afford to pay it all. We are slowly digging out from this.

You might think there would be something in place during the monthly reporting process where out of the norm bills are flagged. Residents should get calls notifying them of suspicious usage such as the way credit card companies handle issues like this.

I am beside myself.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cantbreath. Show cantbreath's posts

scootcha thank you. 
    Will compare the bills I have that state rates for 2009 and 2010 and post tomorrow.  Something is very wrong.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fugghedaboutit. Show fugghedaboutit's posts

my bill is OVER THE TOP!!!! what did they do when the new meter was installed?

IS THERE ANYONE TO MONITOR THIS, THE RECENT ACTIVITY IS OBVIOUSLY COSTING WAY MORE THAN IT DID BEFORE!

it's just not right...more abuse of the taxpaying citizens..

TIME TO MOVE? goodbye malden!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from themattbyrne. Show themattbyrne's posts

In Response to Mysterious Malden Util Bill?:
    [QUOTE]Is anyone else seeing mysterious water or other outrageously high util bills all of a sudden?  Myself and another Malden resident are seeing ridiculous water bills all of a sudden in excess of $400 dollars!!
    Posted by Gutclencher[/QUOTE]

Hey everyone!

It's Matt Byrne here, reporter for Malden and a couple of the other towns...

I want to follow up on this, and I've already spoken to one of the residents who posted here.

Please please get in touch with me if you, too, have received an outsized water/sewer bill in last year. Gather up the bills, too, if you can, so I could get a look at them.

CALL or EMAIL me at:

610-731-4645

or

Mbyrne.Globe@Gmail.com

Thanks!
    Matt

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andydeer. Show andydeer's posts

The pay increase is due to all the water being used to wash the blood of the streets.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WardWatch. Show WardWatch's posts

Good point andy.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from scootcha. Show scootcha's posts

[QUOTE]Will compare the bills I have that state rates for 2009 and 2010 and post tomorrow.  Something is very wrong.
    Posted by cantbreath[/QUOTE]

Since the city was given its chance to clarify things and has failed to do that job I would give Fourth Estate (Matt) the opportunity now.  However much I am curious about your figures I would now give them to him first.

The city blew their chance to look at them and help you already.  Even if it were the case that there is nothing wrong with the bill the runaround you folks are getting is very bad customer service.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Csurvivor. Show Csurvivor's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Mysterious Malden Util Bill? : Hey everyone! It's Matt Byrne here, reporter for Malden and a couple of the other towns... I want to follow up on this, and I've already spoken to one of the residents who posted here. Please please get in touch with me if you, too, have received an outsized water/sewer bill in last year. Gather up the bills, too, if you can, so I could get a look at them. CALL or EMAIL me at: 610-731-4645 or Mbyrne.Globe@Gmail.com Thanks! Matt
    Posted by themattbyrne[/QUOTE]

Thank you Matt. Will be in touch tomorrow.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from YouDidMeWrong. Show YouDidMeWrong's posts

Please everyone, give Matt the chance to look at the problem with the high water bills. He will investigate it. The city isn't helping you, so please let him help..

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from disgustedinmalden. Show disgustedinmalden's posts

Thank you Matt, I am going to start going through my bills from last year.  I will be in touch.

Thank you

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gutclencher. Show Gutclencher's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Mysterious Malden Util Bill? : Hey everyone! It's Matt Byrne here, reporter for Malden and a couple of the other towns... I want to follow up on this, and I've already spoken to one of the residents who posted here. Please please get in touch with me if you, too, have received an outsized water/sewer bill in last year. Gather up the bills, too, if you can, so I could get a look at them. CALL or EMAIL me at: 610-731-4645 or Mbyrne.Globe@Gmail.com Thanks! Matt
    Posted by themattbyrne[/QUOTE]

I just got an updated reading from the city.  My water usage is accelerating and I'm going to get anywhere from $400 to $900 bill next month!!  I'm scheduling plumbers, collecting documentation and talking to lawyers.  Something is wrong and I don't know what to do.  Apparently, no one has ever fought this and won.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I emailed my landlord alerting him to this on Boston.com.  He replied that the Malden Water Dept already checked the meter and didn't find any issues with it however they will be replacing the meter as it is near its so called "end life"  What a crock...  Being a tenant, this effects me as the landlord assumes first that it is us using a ton of water when that is not the case at all.  Thank God I have a lease and a good landlord or any other landlord would just raise the rent.  This needs to be figured out by the city.  Shameful...

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mysterious Malden Util Bill? : This issue with the water bill is a problem.  With your info, that makes three locations in Malden now with outrageous water bills in the same price range.  My bill was over $400.  I called the city.  They told me to hire a plumber.  The other Malden resident also called city hall and was also told to hire a plumber to check for leaks.  We are all checking for leaks and not finding anything.
    Posted by Gutclencher[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gutclencher. Show Gutclencher's posts

I scheduled my plumbers for Monday morning, November 1st.  We're going hunting for leaks at my house.  Don't know what else to do yet, cause there's nothing stopping the city from charging me endlessly now.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from disgustedinmalden. Show disgustedinmalden's posts

Gutclencher, when you go to bed tonight shut your main water line off write down the numbers on your meter and check in the morning to see if the numbers have changed , if they have you have a leak if not, you don't.  Good Luck!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Csurvivor. Show Csurvivor's posts

I spoke to Matt today. I am pretty confident that there are many more residents experiencing water bill issues so please spread the word.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gutclencher. Show Gutclencher's posts

Checked the numbers on my meter.  Blinking mess.  Hired plumber.  No leaks found.  Pressure tested entire property, no leaks.
    Now I'm having the city scheduled to come into my home tomorrow to check the meter personally.
    I'm also on the docket to state my case to the Malden Water Commission on Nov 23.
    My new $857 water bill for one month is killing me.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gutclencher. Show Gutclencher's posts

City plumber checked my meter today and confirmed that the meters have problems.  City Hall knows about this and won't do anything as long as no one complains.
    We heard that one Malden resident got an $8000 water bill!!
    I'm fighting this all the way and anyone else in town, who has any problems needs to speak up.
    The city installed solar powered water meters in the basements of our homes.  Who came up with that idea?
    Anyone's meter can flake out at any time. 
    Apparently a $20 part isn't being installed to fix the problem, cause the city says it doesn't have permission to go in residents' homes....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gutclencher. Show Gutclencher's posts

Taking my case to the water commission tomorrow afternoon. If anyone else is seeing strange things with the water or other util bills, speak up.  Thanks.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrew25. Show andrew25's posts

I had a new meter installed about two years ago and my bills went crazy. 1200.00 to 200.00 back to 1300.00. Needless to say I called the water dept and the guy checking the meter told me there was a problem with the new meters. After a 30 minute fight with the water commision they told me to pay the bills and call a plumber, which is funny because I am a plumber. This is probably a fight that can't be won without a class action lawsuit.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHaMiLioN. Show CHaMiLioN's posts

I have the same problem where the water bill went from $31 to $814 the next month.  I went Malden Water Dept yesterday to dispute the bill.  There were seriously about 50 people in line that have the same problem and I had to wait two hours to get my turn.  The city reps were very rude interrogating with questions and telling me the meter was working properly and that I have a leak somewhere (despite the fact that I had a plumber check my house).  I don't agree to paying but they threatened that if I don't, the interest will build up and they will place a lien on my house.  To me, it sounds like the city's cheating money out of the homeowners.

I will forward my information over to Matt.

Sections
Shortcuts