Mysterious Malden Util Bill?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from enough. Show enough's posts

Re: Mysterious Malden Util Bill?

Maybe the City's water bills could be reduced if the DPW Employees
    WOULD STOP USING city trucks and equipment on their "side jobs"
    they do on Saturdays and/or during lunch !!!!!!!!!!!

This City needs to be examined by the one Federal Agency that conducts an Investigation in a fair and impartial basis
     i.e IRS !!!!   See www.irs.gov and request Form 211.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigragoo37. Show bigragoo37's posts

Maybe it is time to get the u.s.attorney office involved and the I.R.S but your right someone needs to ask for investigation, maybe having someone go to Middlesex Superior Court and File a complaint
     asking for a injunction or a restraing order against the water& sewer
     department.  it cost nothing to file and ask for a hearing;

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from msh. Show msh's posts

I had the same issue a couple of months ago and called the city.  They looked into it and told me that my toilet must have been running.  It wasn't running.  It went up 4X the usual amount.  The next month the bill went down to its usual amount, but I do think something is not right!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigragoo37. Show bigragoo37's posts

reminder----Go to the malden district Court and File a complaint
     against the City that call the State Attorney General Office and
     they will help you file complaints with the Proper State Agencies.
     Show this city something wrong. or Call the fox news 25 and
     ask for kevin in the undercover division and see if he can help you.
     This will Put the City on Notice.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gutclencher. Show Gutclencher's posts

I'm on an unavoidable escalation path with this water mess.  I'm still going round and round with the water commission.  Please contact Matt Byrne  and add your story to this.  If he writes a story and helps expose this, something might get done to fix this.  My latest water bill just came in at over $700 again for the month.  I can't survive like this.  I have to fight this and I need everyone's help.
    Save all your water bills, make copies of them and prepare to dispute this.  The more of us, the better.
    Email me if you have any questions:  gutclencher@hotmail.com

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from medavem. Show medavem's posts

In Response to Re: Mysterious Malden Util Bill?:
    In Response to Re: Mysterious Malden Util Bill? : This issue with the water bill is a problem.  With your info, that makes three locations in Malden now with outrageous water bills in the same price range.  My bill was over $400.  I called the city.  They told me to hire a plumber.  The other Malden resident also called city hall and was also told to hire a plumber to check for leaks.  We are all checking for leaks and not finding anything.
    Posted by Gutclencher

Thats how ignorant they can get. Should have told them find a new job cause you just cant come up with the right answer

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Driver54. Show Driver54's posts

Hey everyone it is simple go to Malden District Court and File a
      complaint against the City and the Water department asking for an
      Injunction stopping the city from issuing any more water bills till
      the meters are fixed or replaced.
      Also Include the mayor in the Complaint;

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from medavem. Show medavem's posts

In Response to Re: Mysterious Malden Util Bill?:
    the water bills have doubled.  We pay the MWRA rate plus any water infrastructure for new development, maintenance of infrastructure and city water use. Ride down commercial st before, during, after a rain they are watering the acres of sod. Increased development, increased density and what do you know? Higher costs for us. No quality of life though. None.
    Posted by cantbreath

Dog gone somebody see the light..Kudos to ya! The water bill is determined on usage for the entire city. That not only includes the residents water but what they use in the entire city and that watering of parks etc. Yes there is a lot of wasted water. Fulkl blast while raining for days on end.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gutclencher. Show Gutclencher's posts

Time for my next round at the water commission.  They didn't replace my water meter and haven't done anything else, as far as I can tell.  My bill this month came down considerably, but it's still quadruple normal.  I think the winter snow caused nearby street construction to stop.
    I'll attend tomorrow's meeting to learn my fate.  Looks uphill from here.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from danc. Show danc's posts

Been following this with interest.  Please keep us updated on how things go.  You have my sympathies for whatever that's worth.

The city seems to be having difficulties even mailing me my bills.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Terry19. Show Terry19's posts

I have 2 properties in Malden and every month the bills are exactly the same down to the penny...something is very wrong here. How can I have the same exact water bills for 2 different homes with different amounts in each? 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gutclencher. Show Gutclencher's posts

I've approached meltdown stage now.  The Water Commission has given a final verdict and denied any relief.  I am accused of either using too much water or having a gushing hydrant-like leak somewhere. 
    There will be no attempt by the Commission to investigate my meter or anything else. 
    I found no leak. 
    My plumber found no leak. 
    The Commission's plumber found no leak.
    I had all the toilet fixtures replaced as requested by the Commission and their water meter still says I'm using outlandish sums of water, up to about $900/month.
    I've contacted my homeowners insurance to see if there is any avenue for investigation.
    I'm broke and cutting back on all but the necessities now, but what's the alternative if I end up losing my home?  I'm considering how I can afford legal expenses now.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from anotherman. Show anotherman's posts

Hey gutclencher,

On a related note, if this is of any help, here's a link to a chart detailing what percentage of water some cities in this state lose track of:

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/download/2011/0213/26849786.pdf

Check out the stats for Malden: it says the DPW could not account for 25% of its water usage in 2009. I suspect this is still an ongoing issue.

This was part of an investigation the local affiliate of ABC (Channel Five news) did on how districts could not account for water usage...

Hopefully, this will help you and others with the same predicament down the road...

Best of luck.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from laurie19. Show laurie19's posts

My bills came in yesterday and again the same dollar amount from one home is exactly the same as the other home.  Called and no one can explain it..

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from cantbreath. Show cantbreath's posts

laurie, look at the usage. Is the usage the same for each house? That would be strange. However, if each usage is different but falls within the same range then I think the bills will be the same. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gutclencher. Show Gutclencher's posts

Well.  My home owners insurance investigated and even though they admit the situation is extremely strange, they can't provide any coverage because there is nothing "actionable".  That means that since there is no known water damage or burst pipes, etc. no help.
    Got call from city councilor informing me that I can't sue the water commission because there isn't anything "actionable" that the courts will recognize.
    This is insane.
    Now I know why everyone has failed in fighting this.  The situation is stacked against the citizens.
    The city can say anything about what you owe about anything and they don't have to prove it.  There is no apparent comeback.
    I've been invited to appear at next Tuesday evening's(February 22) city council hearing by the city councilors.  I have no idea what is going to happen, since I haven't been to one of these before.  I have to take time off from work to attend this mess.
    If I am asked to speak before the council, I will answer questions and look as needy as possible.  I've got word out to Gary and Deb seeking any kind of assistance on this.
    I'm thinking of submitting articles to the local newspapers about this issue.  Maybe it will get published.  Maybe someone will listen.
    Seriously considering selling my house now.  Not sure what to do yet.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cantbreath. Show cantbreath's posts

Hello Gutclencher,
    This discussion started in October and many people noticed high water bills. The bills we received in October were for water usage in July. Many people use more water in the summer months, watering yards, running sprinklers for kids, washing cars, etc. Some have said that bills are returning to normal because now they are receiving bills after the high summer usage is past.

The new water meters have a solar display. It is not easy to be able to read them (deliberate? I hate them). You will have to get a light to shine on it for a bit to be able to read it. You do not need a plumber to know if you have a leak. 

How many people are in your house? Is it a three family with 10 people or a single with 2? Set up your light on the solar display and after everyone goes to work and no one is doing anything look at that meter. It should not be moving. If it is then you have a leak. 

Obviously, equipment can be defective but you should be able to get to the bottom of this. That kind of bill is crippling.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gutclencher. Show Gutclencher's posts

Well we took this as far as we could:

http://malden.patch.com/articles/council-dpw-address-high-water-bills

http://www.wickedlocal.com/malden/news/x742398560/Malden-City-Council-discusses-water-billing#axzz1EuQ2ynWp

We'll likely get a write up in the Globe next.  Issue seems to be low priority, even though one or two Councilors admitted during the council hearing that they had the same problem.  Incredible!!

If anyone with these issues want to contact me directly, we can try and get some kind of group together to help councilors realize this is a big issue.
    Reach me at gutclencher@hotmail.com.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Driver54. Show Driver54's posts

People it is easy ask for court relief ---file a complaint in Malden District Court and ask the clerk for a copy and make sure you drop 
    one off at the City Water Department--Make another copy and drop
    it off on the Mayor's Desk---If all of you do this it make the Mayor
    and city Council open an Investigation.
    Time is to take Action---If you want call me and I explain how to do it right; 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Driver, I read this on CNN today.  Massachusetts is just one of many cities having this problem.  I found particulary interesting is the part that says the new meters registers, which shows how much water is being used, and the meter base underneath do not fit.  The mismatch of the fit can result in the doubling of the water bill. 

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/03/01/water.bills.war/index.html?hpt=T2

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gutclencher. Show Gutclencher's posts

Thank You AmberGirl.  I was just about to comment on the CNN report.  This is exactly what is happening all over town.  Apparently local towns like Brockton are still having the problem according to CNN.

This appears to be a nationwide issue.  I was stunned to see this today on the lounge at work during lunch.  This CNN report is a must see.

http://cnn.com/video/?/video/us/2011/03/01/dnt.phillips.high.water.bills.cnn

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Sorry Gutclencher, I replied to the last post instead of you, the original poster.  I was blown away reading it too....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Driver54. Show Driver54's posts

Gutclencher & Ambergirl;

It is easy way to start finding what is going on, please read carefully;

First---Try and get a list of Landlords & property owners that have received large or ohave been over charged water bills;

Second--have them sign a petition and than go to Malden Dstrict

Court and file a class action complaint ask the clerk for the forms and file;

Than do the same thing in Middlesex Supperior Court and The Federal

Court in Boston, makes copies of complaint and if possible drop copies of to the Mayor Office,City Council Office,and the Water

Department, this makes them aware of the complaint;

Finally---cost of complaints cost nothing after you file you wait for

a court date and see what the This Administration does;

This will stop them from chasing down any monies until it decided by

a judge or neutral party;

If you want more information just ask I am now have two criminal

complaints against the administration for Political Corruption;

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from cantbreath. Show cantbreath's posts

I watched the video and will read the article soon. 
    I am always suspicious of this town. It is very obvious most of what they actually do is think of ways to get another dollar from us.
    Years ago they replaced the old meters so that they could read form the street. About 1 - 2 years ago they replaced those meters and said they needed to be able to read form the street. I said I already have one of those, it is done. He said no, we need new ones. 
    Twice now in ten years (or so) we have had new meters to read from the street. How much did that cost the tax payers? 
    Hateful!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gutclencher. Show Gutclencher's posts

I sent an email message to investigative reporter Scott Zamost at CNN on the water bill story.  I'll keep plugging away.

Sections
Shortcuts