neighbor's construction

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikexcore. Show mikexcore's posts

neighbor's construction

hey all, I looked through malden's documents wherever I can find and have a question if anyone knows.

Last fall, our new neighbors (whom don't speak english so asking them is out of the question), decided to cut down a few trees on our side of the fence. (WITHOUT ASKING US) 

we asked about it, and in terrible english replied that they did it so they could put in a pool. after a few days of bickering, it was old news.

now, they have built a new 2 story deck on the backside of their home, WHICH LOOKS DIRECTLY INTO OUR YARD because of the trees they cut down.

are there any zoning laws or regulations regarding these issues?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikexcore. Show mikexcore's posts

Re: neighbor's construction

also, they still have no pool, just the new and intrusive deck.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mayfoto. Show mayfoto's posts

Mike, the neighbors did not have a right to cut down the trees on your property.  Neighbors do, however, have the right to cut down only limbs that are overhanging their property.  Also, I am going to guess since they did not care about taking down your trees (which by the way brings down your property value and gives you less privacy) that they did not pull a permit with the city to build that deck.  You have a right to sue for replacement cost of the trees and loss of privacy and the building inspector could fine them and make them tear down the deck if it is not up to code.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from anotherman. Show anotherman's posts

mikexcore:

Don't let your neighbors get away with doing that to your property and privacy.

I had an issue with one of my neighbors growing vegetables and fruits next to the property line, and those would climb over or through the existing chain-link fence, and then they would come over my side of the property to collect them when the plants matured. I spoke with them about that, but there wasn't really anything they could (or would) do, so, one day, I had contractors put up stockaded wood fence on that side, and that took care of the privacy issue.

Your problem sounds more serious, so, like mayfoto suggests, a call to Malden's building inspector is the way to go.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikexcore. Show mikexcore's posts

that sounds like a good idea, I've tried talking with them before but they play the "I no speak enlish" card.

maybe the building inspector could do something.

I would rather avoid any court cases and lawyer fees, I just don't want to feel intruded, unfortunately this new deck is 2 stories, so it would take quite the wooden barricade or privacy trees to do block the unpleasant view.

I think the best way to go would be to see if they got a permit for it, although the work does look structural and up to code.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mayfoto. Show mayfoto's posts

Like my parents always said, you give people an inch, they will take a yard, so call the building inspector, does not cost you anything.  It does not matter if the deck looks up to code, if they did not pull a permit, they will be fined, and if the inspector finds it is not in fact up to code, they will make them rebuild it at their own cost.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from faulknerboy. Show faulknerboy's posts

Mike, we had a problem up here off of pierce st withsome who didnt speadienglish, they built a shack/hut/building in the woods at the end of plymouth rd and they tried to say it was for gardening, but we found kpeople living in there and storing cans etc.. we called the mayors office everyday for a week till the dpw showed up with a truck and dismANTLED THE THING. try the mayors office 397 7000 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fiveof5. Show fiveof5's posts

Call city hall if they did pull a permit they will have to take it all down, the same thing happened with non english speaking neighbors of ours. We watched them put the whole thing up knowing they never pulled a permit and when it was completed called the City.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JIRKYRICK. Show JIRKYRICK's posts

trees are over rated, they block the view of the girls in bikinis in my neighbors new pool

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikexcore. Show mikexcore's posts

nice, thanks for the feedback guys! I'll be sure to call the building inspector and the city about it!

Sections
Shortcuts