New baseball stadium

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from porkshop--. Show porkshop--'s posts

Re: New baseball stadium

I wonder if the ballpark will include full-service nail salons and wig shops.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaldenPride. Show MaldenPride's posts

It's ok if it fails....The charter school will swoop right in and take it over!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hellgirl. Show hellgirl's posts

@anotherman - I forgot to mention that this scene played out on a Tuesday afternoon at 3:30pm after I was returning from taking one of our cats to the vet in Stoneham. So, it's not even as if this was in the dark hours of the night, at which time, I fully expect such a re-play from "Night of the Living Dead" to occur IRL. It's bloody tragic is what it is.

@porkshop - lol!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from anotherman. Show anotherman's posts

hellgirl,

It's unfortunate that your child had to witness this situation, and it's tough for you (never mind any parent) to explain this to her.

It has degenerated to this point, and I don't know if the new mayor can do anything to clean things up in Malden. I hope he has a plan to address that, since so many voters have pinned their hopes on him and elected him to shake things up in City Hall and change the direction this city is headed towards.

Hope things are well on your end.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JIRKYRICK. Show JIRKYRICK's posts

Why cant I see my posts if I am not logged in

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cantbreath. Show cantbreath's posts

Rick, I cannot see your posts at all (even when signed in) unless I click on RSS at the top right.

We cannot comment on articles either for how long, more than a month? Strange.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Driver54. Show Driver54's posts

TO ALL---- New Idea----Why not ask the Mayor to Contact the
    Redstones ( Movie Theaters Corporation) and see if this company might be interested in develpoing this site for a Movie
    Complex----It would bring in restuarants and other businesses
    to the area and it will be open year round with movies and other kind of entertainment. Just an Idea  might work!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hellgirl. Show hellgirl's posts

@anotherman - It was hard. On the one hand, I try to instill a sense of compassion in my child. On the other, I have almost no compassion anymore for the drugged out zombies in Malden that we see on a daily basis. How do I find the balance here? That was rhetorical. No need to answer. ;)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Amethyst2. Show Amethyst2's posts

Ah, hellgirl, I'm sorry this happened to you and your child...sigh...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JIRKYRICK. Show JIRKYRICK's posts

Why not a movie theater attached to the ballpark?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JIRKYRICK. Show JIRKYRICK's posts

just please please please, dont put another dockside in there!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from anotherman. Show anotherman's posts

It looks like this baseball stadium is already a done deal, as the MRA and the Mayor are in full support of this venture.

I just hope Malden taxpayers don't get saddled with cleaning up the mess if this project goes south, but this is only wishful thinking. I just don't have a good feeling with where this is going to take this city.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikexcore. Show mikexcore's posts

at least this would bring in outside revenue. 

I'm sure the majority of residents in malden don't have any money to put into the city after the AA meetings, and daily crack deals.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from laurie19. Show laurie19's posts

With Malden being so diverse, baseball is not going to fill seats, maybe soccor or another international sport. Retail is the way to go. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikexcore. Show mikexcore's posts

retail is failing because of the overload of knock off and dollar stores. what we need is good business to sustain the good retail. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from laurie19. Show laurie19's posts

Agreed, we are in need of a few good anchor stores, not the cheap stuff in and around malden center.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4048808. Show user_4048808's posts

The ballpark could be our anchor store.  Though we also need the stores to be around so it can be patronized. A mix of restaurants, bars, and shops can help knit the gulf between Plesant St. and the ballpark.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Massgopguy. Show Massgopguy's posts

With the right comination of factors coming into place. Pleasant Street could become what Landsdown Street is to Fenway.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hellgirl. Show hellgirl's posts

Seriously?! Look. Fenway is a mere T ride away and frankly, if I'm going to go to a ball game (which is unlikely to begin with), I'm going to see the Sox play and THEN I'm going to go out and have my pick of places to drink a beer or grab dinner afterwards...and probably do a little shopping. Why? Because it's right there. If we were further outside of Boston city limits, this might almost be an understandable addition to Malden, but North Station is 10 minutes away on the Orange Line. 10 minutes! (Edited again because I know how you guys think by now...) And yes. I know North Station is not Fenway, but it is where you connect with the Green Line to get to Fenway, and it is also the first stop in Boston Proper.

What Malden really needs to do is let go of the ridiculously antiquated view of itself as a quiet suburb, far removed from the city and accept the fact that it's very much a part of the metro area - so much so that out-of-towners would think it's only another neighborhood in Boston.

ETA: Don't believe it? From North Station to Forest Hills on the Orange Line, it's an almost 25 - 30 minute T ride. But Forest Hills/Jamaica Plain is still part of Boston Proper. We are closer to the heart of Boston, even as a separate "city", than an actual Boston neighborhood is. Why in the world do we act like we're in Maine?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from laurie19. Show laurie19's posts

Play ball, it's been approved and the game is on.....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4048808. Show user_4048808's posts

A ballpark is not neccesserially suburban.  Fenway Park, ironically for this argument, is an example how a ballpark can fit into an urban environment.  Therefore a ballpark can fit into Malden - assuming the designers have the foresight to build a urban style ballpark.  

That part of the argument is void.

However, I can seperate the part of your argument that does make sense.  That Fenway Park is only a few miles away, by T, it's about ~40 minutes (the Green Line is slow), but only 10 minutes to North Station.  

Basically, with Fenway so close and given the state of baseball: Is there enough baseball to support the stadium and subsequently our center?  That part, we don't know.  It seems the guy building this thing seems to be betting a big yes and I hope he did the studies to test that idea, but we really don't know.  

That said, what do we got to lose by building it?  Right now, it's a chemical and ashpault wasteland used by National Grid in a divided and isolated town center.  My understand is he's paying to build it, so let him.  The gamble might pay off.  If it fails, we would have been in the same position anyways.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hellgirl. Show hellgirl's posts

One point - Fenway Park is part of the history of Boston and hosts a major league team. Minor league parks are most definitively a suburban phenomena.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Massgopguy. Show Massgopguy's posts

Fenway Park is a part of the history of Boston and will be turning 100 years old on April 15. Maybe it will make the front page this time.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from indygreen. Show indygreen's posts

A well run minor league baseball team will work well in Malden Square, all you need to do is look at the success of the park in Lowell.

it would be the anchor that downtown needs, Malden Square will never be a retail destination, but it can become a collection of unique stores and restaurants.

Hopefully there will be some type of Linkage deal so that the highschools can you this field.

The state of the downtown is improving, we are starting to see life on the streets of downtown on Friday and Saturday nights.

Malden has it faults, but i give them credit for thinking outside the box