One thing I would like to see the City of Malden do...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from anotherman. Show anotherman's posts

One thing I would like to see the City of Malden do...

... Is not renew the business licenses for any of the substance abuse rehabilitation centers located in the city.

If you go to maps.yahoo.com and type in "substance abuse rehab center" in the field for FIND A BUSINESS ON THE MAP and hit the Search button, you will find FIVE (5) such businesses listed in Malden alone, and all five are near Malden Center. In comparison, the city of Everett only has one and Chelsea has two such businesses. I understand it's because of easy access to the Orange Line T stations that attract this type of business.

But we have to ask ourselves this question: if we want to make Malden as family-friendly and desirable to live in, do we really want  this type of business in the city that attracts a certain type of clientele? I ride the Orange Line T every day on my way to work and I see these recovering addicts on the train and in the neighborhood every day, and I know I would not want any children anywhere near them.

At this point, I am willing to sign a petition to have City Hall revoke these businesses' license. This is a matter of quality of life for the city and its residents.

What are your thoughts on this?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheVendetta. Show TheVendetta's posts

Re: One thing I would like to see the City of Malden do...

I agree with you very much. I am thinking the mayor gets a certain amount of money from the state to have them here. But in my opinion, revere and somerville are close to the T why here? This brings in a different type of crime. Whats next a Meth clinic? Or a half way home for Level 3's? Just for money? The mayor started in the 90s (I think that time) to bus in students from Boston for money from the state. And now they moved here along with the crime. And no matter what the police chief says, we do have gangs in Malden. And most are from the Boston area coming in. The T was a great thing to put in. But also the worst thing.

I would help get signatures.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from anotherman. Show anotherman's posts

You're spot on, TheVendetta.

In the meantime, other types of businesses keep on closing shop around Malden Center, to the point where it's becoming a ghost town. I've lived in the city for almost 9 years now, and I notice it's getting worse and worse every year, and not because of the recession and the state of the economy.

Mayor Howard just doesn't get it...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheVendetta. Show TheVendetta's posts

No one wants to have a store with with these type of people coming in. For example you have a store with candy. Kids are going to come in. GOD FORBID something happens to that child, the store owner will be on the chopping block. I would not want to have a store if this was the case.

I have never seen more needles in the streets of malden then I have the past year. And I know its not from diabetic people.

The T opened a worm hole. I was told that this was a issues when the station was first built. And still to this day it is.

I believe the T police should be in that station. Not only to curb crime and arrest trouble making drunks, but to make the average rider who pays an arm and a leg feel comfy on the ride to work.

I like to ride the train. But I also ride the train with my fist ready to defend myself if needed. Something I never had to do in the past. I use to fall alseep on the way home from work. I love the ride and turns. Now you cannot do that. Sad.

Case is Malden is bringing in more trouble to GET state money. Like we sold ourself to the devil.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Driver54. Show Driver54's posts

VENDETTA___DOES YOUR STREET HAVE USED NEEDLES ON IT,
      I WAS LOOKING FOR A NEW HOUSE YOUR STREET SEEMS QUIET />

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clee5717. Show Clee5717's posts

I agree with both of you.  Malden is unique in that it has two subway stops, why not use some of that to our advantage? 

If we clean up Malden Sq., and put some reputable businesses in there, we can get the young people in, no one wants to live in Malden, it looks horrible, it's not as safe as it once was.  Get the college kids in here, there are two subway stops!!

Let's dump the rehabs, the busing of these inner city kids to Malden, they are much more trouble than they are worth.  At this point we need to protect our city.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JIRKYRICK. Show JIRKYRICK's posts

One thing, this would be it

throw out all the dollar stores and bargain stores and stores catering to people with only a dollar.  There is not a single store/retail establishment at all in Malden Square I would spend a dollar n, which is ironic since that is the ponly kind of store we have.  Downtown had a Jordan Marsh / Macy's once.  Movie theaters.. places to spend more than a buck.  Keep Malden affordable, to a point, we dont need to aspire to be a third world city.  Now its all dollar store crap and they cant figure out why tax revenues are down.... doh 

I can hardly wait for eletion to vote these bums out of city hall

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Driver54. Show Driver54's posts

what a disgrace----13+ firemen get laid off 10+ policeman get laid-off
     demotions and your talking about changing Malden Square,

Lets by asking how this City Council Voted this Budget In and by

doing that is start calling them today, tommorow everyday it is

easy---Go to WWW.CITYOFMALDEN.ORG --go to government

hit councilors and all their phone numbers are on it even their

web sites---send messages asking where is all the Money;

Do it or stop complaining about how Malden is, lets start by having

open forums on every dollar being spent.

Start calling and hear their answers ---Money is on that not one

person will make the phone calls;

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from YouDidMeWrong. Show YouDidMeWrong's posts

I agree with everyone here, Malden is not what it used to be. I still remember Woolworth's and Grant's stores being down the square, they did attract business. (I know, I'm old) LOL. But seriously, who wants to go downtown with all the drunks standing outside the bar smoking.
    There is not one store that I would go out of my way to go to the square for. They think because they have free concerts on city hall and car shows that will bring people down there. What a joke. Mayor Howard needs to be voted out of office, maybe then a new mayor would see the possibilities that Malden has to offer.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JIRKYRICK. Show JIRKYRICK's posts

The mayors office once responded to me saying what a great job they are doing in Malden Square, pointing out the building of that terrible looking new bulding for the MTA. ( Maybe they where trying to get it to match the City Hall building, becuase it certainly doesn't fit into where it is currently built)  I don't know about any other residents of Malden, but I really dont go down to Malden square to visit the MTA building. I willing to bet everyone that works in that building hi tails it out of here at 5:00 PM.

Maybe City Hall should send a questionaire to people that work there and ask how often they shop in Malden Square, either for lunch or after work.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheVendetta. Show TheVendetta's posts

I agree we need better known stores in Malden Square. How about a nice clothing store? An Ice Cream Shop maybe a Friendlys. Small hardware store. How about a real Cyber Cafe? A Nice Coffee shop. Take out the bars and put in a crafts center for all ages. 

I know a girl that owned a Pizza shop in Malden. "Angelas". And she said it was the worst time dealing with the city. It came to the point she just picked up and left. So if a small Pizza shop is getting that much flack, then you can see why alot of good places are not moving into Malden when they can open up in another city and make the same money with less crap. Chelsea has better stores for the people in its square. We have nothing worth traveling to.

City hall is not making moves to bring in new buisness. No one wants to open here. Its real sad. We are made up of Bars, Hair Schools and Dollar Stores. (No offence to ones who go there)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JIRKYRICK. Show JIRKYRICK's posts

and geez, do you think the Malden Square area needs another Nail place? I know the post was one thing and my vote is no more new dollar, bargain, cheap crap stores, but next on my list, nail stores

I think there are at least five within the block that I live, I live two blocks from the square, do we really need that many places concentrated in such a small area.  I am not a city planner but come on, show some imagination. Dollars stores, really?  I bet as soon as the Mayor is out of a job here, he will be moving out, if he can sell his home that is

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from danc. Show danc's posts

The configuration of the area is horrible and deters positive traffic that businesses look for.  You step off the Malden T stop and you see a giant brick wall between the giant brick sides of the police station and city hall... not very inviting.  So we have a T stop to bring customers to the area and a giant brick barrier between them and where businesses are supposed to be.  When David D'Archangelo was running, he had a great idea to open up the wall and make it more inviting.

Whoever decided to put city hall at the end of Pleasant Street way back when essentially suffocated all the businesses there and that's what we live with today.  The three most important aspects of a successful business are 1) location, 2) location, 3) location.  Having a giant brick edifice between your business and the primary way customers get to it is a detriment.  Starting a business or opening a new location is a risky proposition in this economy even in a good location.  That's why all we have is dollar stores and nail salons. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from anotherman. Show anotherman's posts

Hi all:

I know that my original post was about wanting to close the substance abuse rehab centers in Malden, and I want to thank you all for all the great feedback.

You all make legitimate points about what is plaguing Malden Center and the current City administration does not appear willing to tackle this issue. Hopefully, in the next election, we get the chance to vote in a new Mayor and City Councillors who are open to new ideas about revitalizing the downtown area (not just putting lipstick on a pig), attracting more upscale businesses, and making it more desirable for residents to stroll through and shop.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from msh. Show msh's posts

Hello everyone,

I have lived in malden for 50 years and have seen a lot of changes.  The worst has to be malden square.  We need to rid of these dollar stores.  I too shopped in malden square when I was younger.  People came from all over to shop here, and it is now a pit.  We have some great restaurants, why not some better stores around them.  I wonder if anyone in office reads these posts.  When is the next election?  We need a new mayor desperately.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from YouDidMeWrong. Show YouDidMeWrong's posts

I took a ride thru Malden this weekend and started comparing it to other cities around us. I came to the conclusion, that even Everett has a better Square than Malden. It is a shame when so many places are empty and could bring in great revenue for the city. I don't understand why they built Condos on Eastern Ave. right across from Hanson Chevrolet, or now the new Charter School facility. What's up with the old Ruderman's building? It is a Flea Market, then there is the old gym across from the garage and the old Bank of America down Linden. Also, the what used to be Eastern Bank on Broadway. From what I understand, the Linden Bank of America is supposed to be sold to some Restaurant, there is Morrison's Bar right across the street. That should be fun for the people that live in that area. I think there are plenty of Bars and Restaurants in Malden, why not get us some stores to shop in, and I don't mean Dollar stores or Asian markets. Maybe some nice little Boutiques that would attract people.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Driver54. Show Driver54's posts

Youdidmewrong----Did you go through Medfod or Somerville those are
      how squares ahould look like--It is the Malden redevelopment Authority not doing there Jobs ---It si the Mayor and Council not
     making this Authority to get out there  and stop sitting behind their desk.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from WardWatch. Show WardWatch's posts

Who will shop in the boutiques? The animals that live on Salem St. near my sister's house that have huge parties and keep everyone up? The heroin addicts in Malden Square? Maybe all the homeless drunken panhandlers by the orange line?  The kids in Maplewood and Linden who put graffiti all over everything and break into cars? The hundreds of tow trucks picking up cars who have had wheels fall off because of the fine streets in Malden?  The list continues...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from YouDidMeWrong. Show YouDidMeWrong's posts

WardWatch, unfortunately there is nothing we can do about the "Animals" that live near your sister's house and have parties, maybe you should call the police for that. What we need to do as a city is, first off enforce the law, the police can tell the panhandlers to move along, it is against the law. Make an honest effort to catch and arrest some of the criminals. If we have some reputable stores in this city then maybe it won't attract as many unwanted people. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Driver54. Show Driver54's posts

You did me wrong-----Every city has the same problems-----have you gone and walk around Boston like Tremont St. or the Boston
     Common even Newbury St. These people are every where ----
     okay they get arrested where do you put them ----i mean after 
     they get sentence---the jails are Full --where do you put them.
      Look we have to identify the dealers and than notify the police
      it takes a Crime Watch type program-- in every ward. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheVendetta. Show TheVendetta's posts

If the police came down harder on certain issues, these people will not continue and will bring the stuff they do to another city like chelsea, cambridge or somerville. 

Again I would like to see the dollar stores vanish. It makes Malden look like poor people. Granted they might have nice stuff, but it brings in a certain type of people that bring in trouble.

The Rehab centers...this city was not made for that kind of stuff. And it puts many in danger. We have enough drunks and junkies roaming the streets. How will these people get better when they can walk down the street and get a bag for 5 dollars and a crack pipe at an asian store for a buck?

This city is sick. But HEY CRAIG OPEN YOUR BAR FAST!!! I NEED A DRINK!!! NOT ENOUGH BARS IN THE CITY!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Driver54. Show Driver54's posts

Good Afternoon----This is mrs Arenella and I want all to know that
       I forgive VENDETTA for what he did yesterday -----
        See God has taught me to Forgive---he only ruined My Birthday;

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatDidISay. Show WhatDidISay's posts

The animals live and play here because there's ZERO police presence.  As long as there's no police presence, people will not want to patronize businesses here (especially disgusting looking properties like most on Eastern Ave...Planet Fitness, Sun Kong, every storefront at the intersection of Rt. 60 and Broadway in that plaza, Robinson's News Agency with it's lottery ticket lined parking lot, etc.).   You couldn't pay me to wait for a bus in Linden Square and take it to Malden Square to shop. 

The city needs to show a police presence, make it CLEAR that certain behaviors aren't tolerated in this town (loitering, graffiti, theft, drug dealing, cars blasting music, loud parties, etc.).  Once that happens, people will start coming out of the woodwork...people who don't need to hang out at nail salons, bars, rehabs, or halfway houses.  Real people with families who are invested in this town, not just using Malden as a transitional living area or just staying here because Everett and Chelsea are full.  THEN you'll notice beautification beginning as people feel safe and become proud of their neighborhoods again. 

Until then, this town will continue its slow swirl down the toilet with Mr. Howard pushing the handle.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Driver54. Show Driver54's posts

First--You have to have enough Police to enforce the laws or doing
     regular patrols ---what will Help is Crime Watch Programs for Malden.
     When you cut 10+Police and 13+ firemen the Citizens of Malden lose
     out. thank God I live in Medford.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheVendetta. Show TheVendetta's posts

What did I say...What about the gangs of kids outside burger king on every hot night till 1am. Or Morrisons Bar with drunks falling into the street. I do not know what Morrisons did but the past month they been getting alot of young buisness.

So much crap is being built in this city. Bars for one is out of control. But you see Bars are a hit because people are drinking ones worries away. In this economy it happens. Like during the depression, brokers would jump out the windows in Chicago and New York. These days they drink.

These Rehab houses scare me. Because I am sure most are still using. And they are close to the T so they can get the drugs and come back here to use them. Then leave needles in places kids like to explore.