section 8

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ezjimd. Show ezjimd's posts

section 8

where can i get a voucher?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JIRKYRICK. Show JIRKYRICK's posts

Re: section 8

ah , a discussion about this.  So where do start, where we left off in the CFO discussion.  Does the city have to mach sect 8 housing.  Should we be adding more when crime is on the rise and downtown contunues its downward spiral with more dollar stores to cater to low income.

Not sound classist, ( I probably do) but we need to attract people with higher incomes to shop donwtown, not bring in dollar stores.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Driver-8. Show Driver-8's posts

Try the Immigrant learning center I hear they can do wonders for you. Wait are you an Immigrant legal or illegal? if not forget about-it. Why do you think 1/3 of Maldens population was not born in this country. They are located right in the heart of the square...Correlation maybe maybe not.....as Joe friday would say Just the facts mame

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ezjimd. Show ezjimd's posts

I'd love to hear much more about the facts and figures on this subject. Does anyone have more information?

It sure would be interesting to look at the numbers. How many people are we talkling about and how does it effect the school system.

We can also talk about how many Section 8 families have children that attend the Charter School or MALDEN SQUARE.

My only request is that we please try not to slander any one.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JIRKYRICK. Show JIRKYRICK's posts

I am really more interested in the crime stats.  Has crime increased in proportion to section 8 housing.  I would also find it interesting to find out , of all those high rises near the sqaure, how much of those are section 8. And who in city hall would benefit from that. 

Maybe there are none. Maybe all those apartments are grad students spending their money in Malden square like the mayors grand plan all along.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WardWatch. Show WardWatch's posts

Jerkyrick, yes it has. All you have to do is take a ride down Clark St to see it first hand.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from AnnieOMalden. Show AnnieOMalden's posts

Jirkyrick: In case you missed it, there was a lockdown of 160 Pleasant St. over the weekend. Kudos to the law enforcement groups who worked together on it. What I found interesting were the interviews with people who lived there which gave a glimpse into just who is living in the building. There is quite a population of college students who live there among mature couples and small families. What got my attention was a resident who complained (and had done so to the bldg. manager) about the people who don't have keys (non-residents) who just stand outside and wait for the door to open so they can slip inside. I know that happens everywhere but if that isn't an opportunity to cut down on crime or at least to figure out why this is happening and get it to stop, I don't know what is. Maybe the residents need to be more vigilant about letting these people in. Just an observation...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Driver54. Show Driver54's posts

AnnieOMalden    On Patch.com there were other complaints that the

tenants expressed--It Now time for the Mayor Office and his Housing

Task Force to go to work and have the building management correct

the problems/  Where was he while this was going on, he should of

been there telling the residents the building was safe.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JIRKYRICK. Show JIRKYRICK's posts

I am also wondering, is there a correlation with the rise in the crap stores in the square (er I mean dollar stores) and the the number of section 8 units? That would be some interesting statistics.

Has the quality of the square gone down as the number of secion 8 units increased in the city?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SatnNLace. Show SatnNLace's posts

I cannot believe the prejudice I'm seeing!!  Is everyone here saying that all the crime that is happening in this city is perpetrated by people on Section 8?  Look at your police log, most of the criminals are from other cities.  I hope none of you are ever in a position where you need help from the state agencies because you might be lumped in with all the "criminals" that are running wild in this city.  You should be ashamed to even assume that because they are on Section 8 that they are bad people.  I volunteer my time to agencies who help people that are displaced and are trying to get housing, they are not bad people, life has dealt them a bad hand, most of them are trying very hard to just get by every day.  I am very offended by the comments made on this board, I believe the economy has a lot to do with crime, but don't you think it is unfair to put everyone that has fallen on hard times in the same category?  Maybe instead of trying to figure out how many crimes are committed by people on Section 8 you should volunteer at some of the shelters, it might change your attitudes.  Just to let you all know I'm sure this will be asked, I am not on Section 8.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JIRKYRICK. Show JIRKYRICK's posts

knew that by asking this question we would be labled prejudiced,  I dont have a problem with sction 8 housing.  The question is when does it become that there is too much in one city,  If the majority or large percentage of a city is low income, then how does a city attract better businesses than the current prepoderance of dollar stores.

We want a better city, with a downtown that is not embaressment for a suburb. Nobody has blamed all the crime on section 8 housing, but asking is the rise in crime and the rise in dollar stores/decline of Malden square related to a rise  number of section 8 units in the city?

I think thats a legit question

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SatnNLace. Show SatnNLace's posts

Rick, I too would like to see better stores in the downtown area.  Malden is not a middle class city anymore.  I still remember the cinema and Jordan Marsh in the square, I would love to see that again.  I think if the population is mostly lower income something like a Starbucks or other higher end stores would not survive. In my opinion there is no more middle class, there is only rich or poor, Malden happens to be a little more affordable to the poor. Also remember though not all poor people in our city are on Section 8.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JIRKYRICK. Show JIRKYRICK's posts

I guess thats my point, the city had this huge campaign with signs everywhere, "Keep Malden Affordable".  Thats fine to a point, but when you get to the point that you have made the city "to affordable", then what have we accomplished accept to drive down the quality of life in the city.  Crime has increased, the downtown deteriorates and we continue to strive to keep Malden affordable. There has to be a point we need to say okaym, its affordable enough, a little to affordable.  Why the race to the bottom economically

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Driver54. Show Driver54's posts

to All;
    To Improve this city the change has to be made in City Hall and the
    City Councilors and the Malden Redevelopment Authority but it starts
    with the Mayor. But when you have a crook working in his office and city councilors making backroom/closed door deals without public input the city will decline in every aspect.
    Section 8 people are of two types one is a family struggling and one
    who is abusing a system for their benefits only.
    Again to all not much will be done this year because of the on going
    investigations by the FBI and Attorney General Office and Ethics
    Commission ---- ( I filed these complaints)
    Today I was at the Appeals Courts filing complaints that I was instructed to do hoping it helps the city and me.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Driver54. Show Driver54's posts

TO ALL AGAIN;
    The state does not regulate how many section 8's are allowed in a

city/town it is the Landlord who has to accept the tenants and than the building has to be accepted as a Section 8 qualifer.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from overthere. Show overthere's posts

In Response to Re: section 8:
    [QUOTE]Also remember though not all poor people in our city are on Section 8.
    Posted by SatnNLace[/QUOTE]
    Also, not all people on section 8 in our city are poor. When I see brand new $40k cars parked in resident spots I get a bit suspect.

The system is broken and needs to be fixed. It's not just the politicians in Malden that know how to work it!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JIRKYRICK. Show JIRKYRICK's posts

hmmm, no comments from the Christenson or Fallon campaign on this issue.  Do they think Malden is headed on the right track with the current level of section 8 housing.  Do they think the current level is right, to much or we could use more? 

You want my vote, you have to answer the tough questions.  Of course no matter how they answer it, someone wont like it so we will never know, they are politicians.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lirazel. Show Lirazel's posts

You can get a lot of information from the U.S. Census. This is from the 2000 census. (http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/25/2537875.html) The 2010 data are just starting to trickle out, as we know.

I find a few things about this interesting:

1) Malden was much, much more densely populated than the state as a whole at that time. It would be interesting to do some comparisons with other localities here. We know that the city has grown since then.

2) We had nearly double the number of foreign-born persons than the state as a whole (I personally think this is great, and we should play it up.) I am sure this is still true. We should think more about why for centuries Malden has attracted immigrants. It's not just cheap housing. I'd like to think it has something to do with openness and tolerance.

My concern about the proliferation of housing is not about poor people coming to live here. There are all kinds of reasons why people are poor. My big concern is that by building housing that is not family-friendly, we make sure children are growing up in our older, more beat-up housing stock. When you only build one- or two-bedroom units and you site them in the middle of downtown, you are saying that you value singles and couples who will use Malden as a bedroom community and a way station to somewhere else. This isn't a good model for building up the down town -- people tend to spend their "fun" money close to where they work, not where they sleep. It also doesn't build up the community.

What we need to do is to bring the community of immigrants into the main stream of Malden life. The library is already doing a good job of this. The true test, though, will be when someone from the Asian, Hispanic, Hatian, or South Asian communities runs for City Council!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hawthorne3. Show hawthorne3's posts

I think the city should have a say in how many vouchers should be allowed in one city.  It seems like all the nice cities can avoid these problems and stay nice and other cities just have to take it, not fair.!  most section 8 people are abusers, i've seen it first hand... no job, 3 kids, 3 bedroom apartment, $1800-$2100 section 8 vouchers and a brand new suv in the driveway.....system is broken!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JIRKYRICK. Show JIRKYRICK's posts

nice post, I personally like ethnic diversity, otherwise all we would have is italian restaurants and irish pubs. 

It would be nice if this diversity opened up other kinds of businsess besides nail salons, dollar stores, and cell phone stores/money transfers though.

I know there is a PHO restaurant downtown, but never see anybody in it.  How do they stay in business when the place is empty all the time? It looks like a cafeteria from the outside, maybe thats why

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JustinApinyen. Show JustinApinyen's posts

I think in order to get assistance, you need to fail a narcotic test first. I have absolutely no sympathy for 50% of people that use assistance programs in this city because clearly they are abusing the system that is trying to help.   Who would want to get a job, when you are handed free food, free shelter, free parking, free trashbags, hell, even free shoveling in the winter. I had to bust my butt each morning that there was snow to make sure that I could get to WORK on time and on my way home from WORK I would drive through the projects to see that a bobcat had been there to do all the work for the residents who don't want to miss the Showcase Showdown.

or the jerk that was in line behind me at S&S asking me to put my groceries on his welfare card so he could have my cash....

I may sound offensive, but I am sick and tired of working hard to get less.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JIRKYRICK. Show JIRKYRICK's posts

the reason for this discussion was not wether or not you like people on government assistance or are they freeloading.  Heck I was umemployed for a year and not for not looking for work, it was the economy and I was not free loading.

The discussion is about is there anything to support wether or not the increase in crime and the deterioration / increase in dollar junk stores in Malden square related to section 8 housing. 

I dont know the number of section 8 units, nor do I know how much it has grown in the city since Mayor Howard has been Mayor. 

One would think the mayoral candidates would have some insight into this and maybe their campaign staff can set us straight on the facts

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccd1963. Show ccd1963's posts

The city has no say in how many section 8 housing there is. The landlord goes to the state and applies to the program. After a inspection they are license to rent to section 8.
    The reason why we have so many and the affluent communites dont is because in Malden, section 8 pays more than the going rental rates. So why should a landlord rent to non section 8 when he can get more for section 8. The affluent communites can get more than section 8 so they do.  Simple supply and demand.

The state has regulations that if you accept section 8 you have to abide by. One is no criminal activity or people in your house that do crimes. These are HUD requirements.  What would solve all this is if any criminal activity happens in your section 8 apt or you and yours does crimes, you loose your voucher. Again HUD rules. 

Nobody is traking this and reporting to the state. This is becuase in Liberal Mass, you would be vilified if you were to ask someone if they were on section 8. So, we let the criminals get away with commiting crimes and god forbid ask them if they receive section 8.

Let the police ask this question. See how fast you would cut down on abuse in the section 8 program.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from taxed2much. Show taxed2much's posts

the crime question sort of shocked me too.

[QUOTE]I cannot believe the prejudice I'm seeing!!  Is everyone here saying that all the crime that is happening in this city is perpetrated by people on Section 8?  Look at your police log, most of the criminals are from other cities.  I hope none of you are ever in a position where you need help from the state agencies because you might be lumped in with all the "criminals" that are running wild in this city.  You should be ashamed to even assume that because they are on Section 8 that they are bad people.  I volunteer my time to agencies who help people that are displaced and are trying to get housing, they are not bad people, life has dealt them a bad hand, most of them are trying very hard to just get by every day.  I am very offended by the comments made on this board, I believe the economy has a lot to do with crime, but don't you think it is unfair to put everyone that has fallen on hard times in the same category?  Maybe instead of trying to figure out how many crimes are committed by people on Section 8 you should volunteer at some of the shelters, it might change your attitudes.  Just to let you all know I'm sure this will be asked, I am not on Section 8.
    Posted by SatnNLace[/QUOTE]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from taxed2much. Show taxed2much's posts

My real comcern with section 8 is fraud.

I know of some people who have section 8 vouchers and collect food stamps free health insurance.

My problem is some of these people collecting live with the childrens father who is working fulltime making in excess of 60K per year, driving two new cars, a motor cylce and a boat. They also have 3 big screen tv's and eat lobster at least once per week.  Is this fair to the taxpayer?

I would like to see more investigations into the people who recieve section 8 and eliminate the fraud. how hard would it be to notice the two cars, boat and motorcycle in the driveway. the bottom line is the taxpayer is paying the rent and the daddy is enjoying his new (taxpayer funded) toys.

I asked a few times why they never got married and was told that if they did they would lose the free rent, food stamps and health insurance... huh?

Drug testing might not be a bad idea too. You can't get a job now without one so why not test people on welfare too?

[QUOTE]The city has no say in how many section 8 housing there is. The landlord goes to the state and applies to the program. After a inspection they are license to rent to section 8. The reason why we have so many and the affluent communites dont is because in Malden, section 8 pays more than the going rental rates. So why should a landlord rent to non section 8 when he can get more for section 8. The affluent communites can get more than section 8 so they do.  Simple supply and demand. The state has regulations that if you accept section 8 you have to abide by. One is no criminal activity or people in your house that do crimes. These are HUD requirements.  What would solve all this is if any criminal activity happens in your section 8 apt or you and yours does crimes, you loose your voucher. Again HUD rules.  Nobody is traking this and reporting to the state. This is becuase in Liberal Mass, you would be vilified if you were to ask someone if they were on section 8. So, we let the criminals get away with commiting crimes and god forbid ask them if they receive section 8. Let the police ask this question. See how fast you would cut down on abuse in the section 8 program.
    Posted by ccd1963[/QUOTE]

Sections
Shortcuts