sober homes and drug treatment centers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hawthorne3. Show hawthorne3's posts

sober homes and drug treatment centers

Can anyone tell me how many sober homes, halfway homes and drug treatment facilities we have in the city?  I am hoping that the next mayor (hopefully Gary) will address this and not allow anymore. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mayfoto. Show mayfoto's posts

Re: sober homes and drug treatment centers

From what I have gathered, they are licensed by the state, not the city, and the only way we can get rid of them is to log any problems with them with the police and building inspectors.  The landlords that rent space to these so-called sober houses/counseling centers don't care because most of them don't live here and just want to collect their rent.  If they are in a home owned by the so-called counseling center, same thing, log any problems with police and building inspectors.  Problem is, could take two or three years to get rid of them.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hellgirl. Show hellgirl's posts

I don't even know where these homes are. I only know of them since there's no transparency in what's going on with them.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mayfoto. Show mayfoto's posts

Sorry, clicked add before I listed homes/counseling centers and these are what I know of, who knows how many are operating under the radar. 

179 Mt. Vernon Street
    800 Main Street
    6 Pleasant
    Elmwood Park
    12 Cedar Street
    18 Maplewood Street
    110 Pleasant

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hawthorne3. Show hawthorne3's posts

Just doesn't seem right that we have these drug attics/cons living right next door to us and near our schools with no say.  The city should tax these homeowners at a much higher rate to make it not worth it for them.  They should also put a cap on how many should be allowed in any one city. Let's spread it out to the other surrounding cities/towns and see how quickly the laws change when our neighbors to the north like Melrose, wakefield, Lynnfield etc start getting new neighbors.  This should also go for section 8 vouchers!  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from neesb. Show neesb's posts

Some of these houses are not even legitimate sober houses. The residents are court ordered to be there but there is no services offered to them (ie counseling). Simply an address to satisfy the courts.  I've had dealings with several of them as I have a family member who is a recovering addict and he got more drugs in those so called "sober houses" than anything else.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mayfoto. Show mayfoto's posts

Agree neesb....from what I have heard, it's just a place for them to land and I have also heard that some of the not-legit houses will store "good" urine so these people will pass their court-ordered drug tests.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maldenrezident. Show maldenrezident's posts

hawthorne3: How many years has Gary been involved in city politics and has done NOTHING to correct this problem? Don't think he's about to start now. Correct me if I am wrong but don't we license rooming houses? What about these drug treatment centers? Don't we license businesses? They can tax us on our trash, meals and put a parking sticker through with outrageous fines but cannot do anything about these drug and sober houses? Something doesn't ring true. If the state is the one why haven't our reps done anything to make sure we don't have any more than Winchester or Wellesley have? I am sure they have drug addicts in those towns too! Does the state give Malden more money to take these places? I would guess it would help police more to cut down or eliminate these places than a color coded sticker on a resident's car.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from neesb. Show neesb's posts

maldenrezident--the problem is that the "sober houses" fall under the department of mental health and their clients are protected under confidentiality laws.  Eileen Fay was a big opponent of them when she was alive.  She knew what was going on-there is no treatment at these places at all and she was trying to do something about them.  Addicition is a horrible thing to deal with and these places take advantage of the addict and their families.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fiveof5. Show fiveof5's posts

I agree if Gary thought this was a problem worth fixing he would have done something before, I wouldnt expect anything different if he becomes Mayor.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hellgirl. Show hellgirl's posts

GreginMeffa: If the homes offered counseling and a track record of rehab, I would welcome them. But other posters here are aboslutely correct when they say that these homes are not helping and are, in fact, enabling. They're addresses for those in need and nothing more. So the addiction remains, along with all of the criminal issues that addiction brings.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from anotherman. Show anotherman's posts

mayfoto,

Thanks for listing the addresses of these sober homes. It's mind-boggling to me that 6 out of the 7 listed are within walking distance of where I live...

I hope the newly elected city councilors and mayor have the political guts to tackle this issue, but I'm not holding my breath for this.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from maldenrezident. Show maldenrezident's posts

GreginMeffa: I don't think there is a family who hasn't been touched in some way by the scourge of drug addiction. I'm not saying we shouldn't do what we can to help but why do we have to deal with an overabundance of these places? Hellgirl is so right when she says these places are not being responsible for what the rest of us law abiding cititzens have to live with and the fear those who "relapse" put into us and the worry over keeping our hard earned possessions and family members safe. Somebody is making money on these and it is not the people who have to endure their lack of responsibility.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Driver54. Show Driver54's posts

Both of you are right but the state gives out these permits to run
    a half way house/rehab house/or drug centers. The question is how
    much does the city collect and what is the owner of the Property
    making on these buildings. Willing to bet that most most of the Property owners live outside the city. Just like the Section 8 renters
    where do the landlords live and what is the state/federal governmet
    paying them for the section 8 Family. Than you have lodgers or again
    slumlords who rent rooms out with out the city knowing how many
    people living in the house /> ( 2 & 3 family houses ) How many of these landlords live in the City. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from taxed2much. Show taxed2much's posts

Great point! But some uniform regulation of rules and conduct would help! e: sober homes and drug treatment centers

In Response to Re: sober homes and drug treatment centers:
    [QUOTE]Hope y'all never have to deal with addiction
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from GetActive. Show GetActive's posts

Actually, the city did make a big push to get rid of these sober houses and what they found was (on the legally registered ones) they are protected under Federal law and the Mayor may not overrule that protection.
    Don't quote me on this but I think it has something to do with American's with Disabilities act, because addiction is listed as a mental health disease.
    Now, that's not to say that the illegal unlicensed sober homes shouldn't be taken out but I think the Mayor's Housing Task Force might be the overseer of issues like that.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Amethyst2. Show Amethyst2's posts

So, then, is the issue that the city has no leverage or power to *mandate* quality care for these folks?  I worked at a mental health day treatment center for several years, and there was *constantly* staff there to oversee and run groups, make sure that people got to appointments, the place was kept clean, and that folks were clean and dressed. 

I get the impression from the above, that staff is not constantly there?  Groups?  Medical oversight?

What, exactly are the State regulations for running these places, and can Malden truly prove that State regs aren't being enforced?  If so, then what's the hitch?  Either get good-quality help and support for these people, or shut it down.  State license, state expense.  I don't understand why Malden seems to feel so powerless here...

Amethyst/Maldenlady

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from cdxx139. Show cdxx139's posts

I think people are trying to scape goat others.

I have lived up the street from one of the addresses stated above for over 20 years, and I gotta say, they have been model citizens.  I think they run a tight ship.  They always are working around the house, raking, shoveling, taking out trash etc.  Never a peep out of them.

The only negative is they smoke so much, and butts are all over the place.  They put out tins, but they seem to be lousy basketball players.

You know one of the real issues?  Its the riff-raff around the T.  I think the cops should be more aggressive in patrolling.  Its a walks way from the police station, cant they walk over once and a while and check out the scene.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from fugghedaboutit. Show fugghedaboutit's posts

In Response to Re: sober homes and drug treatment centers:
    [QUOTE]Just doesn't seem right that we have these drug attics/cons living right next door to us and near our schools with no say.  The city should tax these homeowners at a much higher rate to make it not worth it for them.  They should also put a cap on how many should be allowed in any one city. Let's spread it out to the other surrounding cities/towns and see how quickly the laws change when our neighbors to the north like Melrose, wakefield, Lynnfield etc start getting new neighbors.  This should also go for section 8 vouchers!  
    Posted by hawthorne3[/QUOTE]
     an old neighbor paid me a visit the other day (will decent people stay, at some point they all leave) anyway, I told him about the latest tenant in the neighborhood;  he asked me if this person was still "smoking crack" ....isn't that great? typical crackhead house too, no one works real jobs, noise, junk cars, pitbulls, fighting, belligerent people...I'd like to see that in Lynnfield...I think not...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Massgopguy. Show Massgopguy's posts

Ahem Greg: "Medford protests Malden based Sober Home Company"

Malden Observer April 27, 2007

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mayfoto. Show mayfoto's posts

Another one, and the "residents" cause problems for the neighbors is on Beltran Street.  Just remembered that one.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from greysquirrel. Show greysquirrel's posts

There is also a sober house on Bainbridge Street near Plymouth Road.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from WantOutofHere. Show WantOutofHere's posts

Mayor Howard encouraged these sober homes to come into the city. He will tell you differently if you asked him in person.

Sections
Shortcuts