TEN WAYS TO IMPROVE MALDEN

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Driver54. Show Driver54's posts

TEN WAYS TO IMPROVE MALDEN

LETS SEE IF THIS BOARD AND THE PEOPLE ON IT CAN COME UP TO
    IMPROVE THE CITY OF MALDEN; THEY HAVE TO BE SOUND IDEAS;
    THESE IDEAS MIGHT IMPROVE THE QUALITY OF LIFE FOR THE CITIZENS WHO CARE FOR THIS CITY;
    FIRST--FIND MONEY TO PUT MORE FIREFIGHTERS AND POLICE OFFICERS BACK ON THE JOB; NEXT

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from anotherman. Show anotherman's posts

Re: TEN WAYS TO IMPROVE MALDEN

In Response to TEN WAYS TO IMPROVE MALDEN:
     LETS SEE IF THIS BOARD AND THE PEOPLE ON IT CAN COME UP TO IMPROVE THE CITY OF MALDEN; THEY HAVE TO BE SOUND IDEAS; THESE IDEAS MIGHT IMPROVE THE QUALITY OF LIFE FOR THE CITIZENS WHO CARE FOR THIS CITY; FIRST--FIND MONEY TO PUT MORE FIREFIGHTERS AND POLICE OFFICERS BACK ON THE JOB; NEXT
    Posted by Driver54

Hey Driver54:

I'll add the following three items, from a previous post on another discussion board, that come from the top of my head that should improve the quality of life for citizens living in Malden:

1. Trim the bloated city administration: do we really need that many staffing and departments to run this city? Shouldn't city hall be considering cutbacks and ways to run operations more efficiently in this difficult economic climate?

2. Revoke the business permits of all the clinics that treat alcoholics and drug abusers: that should clean up Malden center and the surrounding neighborhoods, and reduce the criminal activities (i.e break-ins, burglaries, robbery attempts, etc.). The last time, I counted there are FIVE (5), yes that's right, five such businesses operating in this city! In comparison, Chelsea only has TWO (2) of them... I know the state subsidizes the city to operate this kind of business, but I think it brings more harm than good to the residents and quality of life here.

3. Try to bring in new businesses into Malden Center and throughout the city (and I'm not talking nail salons or dollar stores). Have you walked around Pleasant St during the day on a weekday? It's frankly a dump and a ghost town! This will increase the tax revenue base for the city, duhhhhh!!!!

And these are my suggestions to both mayoral candidates Deb Fallon and Gary Christenson, I hope they are listening to the message I, as a Malden resident and taxpayer, am conveying to them and reading this post...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkDontTrip. Show WalkDontTrip's posts

In Response to Re: TEN WAYS TO IMPROVE MALDEN:
    [QUOTE]In Response to TEN WAYS TO IMPROVE MALDEN : Hey Driver54: I'll add the following three items, from a previous post on another discussion board, that come from the top of my head that should improve the quality of life for citizens living in Malden: 1. Trim the bloated city administration: do we really need that many staffing and departments to run this city? Shouldn't city hall be considering cutbacks and ways to run operations more efficiently in this difficult economic climate? 2. Revoke the business permits of all the clinics that treat alcoholics and drug abusers: that should clean up Malden center and the surrounding neighborhoods, and reduce the criminal activities (i.e break-ins, burglaries, robbery attempts, etc.). The last time, I counted there are FIVE (5), yes that's right, five such businesses operating in this city! In comparison, Chelsea only has TWO (2) of them... I know the state subsidizes the city to operate this kind of business, but I think it brings more harm than good to the residents and quality of life here. 3. Try to bring in new businesses into Malden Center and throughout the city (and I'm not talking nail salons or dollar stores). Have you walked around Pleasant St during the day on a weekday? It's frankly a dump and a ghost town! This will increase the tax revenue base for the city, duhhhhh!!!! And these are my suggestions to both mayoral candidates Deb Fallon and Gary Christenson, I hope they are listening to the message I, as a Malden resident and taxpayer, am conveying to them and reading this post...
    Posted by anotherman[/QUOTE]

2) State calls all the shots on that. I agree with you though. Its becaise of the MBTA the state places them here.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maldenrezident. Show maldenrezident's posts

WalkDontTrip: Don't the treatment centers have to get licenses from the city? If the council can pass ordinances to put a curfew on adults at 11pm to be in their own wards, how can they allow these drug treatment centers to operate? Something is wrong with this city if that is the way it is.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hawthorne3. Show hawthorne3's posts

Driver54, you got my vote!  those are my biggest issues too.  I hope Fallon and Christensen are reading these posts. 

Walkdonttrip, from what I have read about these sober homes,  anyone can open a sober home as long as you have the room, it's a huge business. The state doesn't care where it's at, they just fork over the money, i thinks it's like $200 a week to the home per person.  The west end of malden has had to deal with people buying the big homes and putting 10+  junkies in them. Increase of break-ins, stolen property, hyperdermic needles in the streets, just a mess since the increase of these homes.  I know these places and individuals are protected by the "disablity act", but the cities should have a say or at lease make malden less attractive to these types.  A new clinic just opened next to Elm Street pharmacy, not sure what the name is, but again the citizens of malden had no say, which is not right.  A facility that has to treat heroin attics and supply them with methadone on a daily basis and these junkies walking the street next to my children on their way to school, is not right and not fair to any city.
     I want the next Mayor to address this HUGE concern of mine. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WardWatch. Show WardWatch's posts

Stop building apartment buildings. Make people who own rental property responsable for those they rent to. Get rid of sober/treatment homes. Get the priorities in order. Buying property so it isn't built on? Come on Malden.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from goindownswingin. Show goindownswingin's posts

that's a start.....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lirazel. Show Lirazel's posts

I think enforcing the building code in a different way would be a big help. When we were looking for a house four years ago (we did find one we like and have been here since), we looked at at least 10 houses with illegal apartments, and even more being used as rooming-houses, with modifications to accomodate tenants that clearly had never been approved by any inspector (or anyone with a lick of common knowledge about plumbing or electricity -- but I digress). Heck, even in the house we bought we found do-it-yourself projects that we had to rip out and have re-done with proper inspections. So we pay large fees and deal with a very reluctant -- not to say rude -- building department, while the people down the street are housing five families in a single-family house -- a tragedy waiting to happen.

I don't want to displace people, but I think if there was some way to find out how many people are, say, receiving mail at a house, an inspector could go in (perhaps with a warrant) and confirm that code was being met. If it wasn't, there would be grounds for bringing bad landlords into court and forcing them to upgrade their housing stock.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkDontTrip. Show WalkDontTrip's posts

Call Gary. He will explain how the Sober houses work better then I can. Or even the Mayor. I would tell you to call Fallon but she does not get back to people as you can see from these posts.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from maldenrezident. Show maldenrezident's posts

Not talking about the sober houses. I am talking about the drug treatment centers, one at 6 Pleasant, one at 800 Main and another on the other side of Pleasant St. If these are here, there probably are more. How about an ordinance to prohibit them?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JIRKYRICK. Show JIRKYRICK's posts

get rid of the current mayor...oh yeh, that is already happening!!

My number one as always, get rid of the dollar stores and nail salons in the square!!!

More Cops!!!

No More high rises in the city, seems like we cant fill the current inventory at market rates, why add more government supported housing

Those freaking Blue bags, get rid of em.

on a personal and greedy side, why do I have to pay 35 dollars for a visitor pass per year?  That needs to go.  I have a driveway, but of course if I pull my car out for 5 minutes on the street, wham the parking guys seems to be there with ticket book in hand.

get rid of the Mayor's special assistant position.

get Deb Fallon to respond to emails sent to her (hehehe) if she wants my vote.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JIRKYRICK. Show JIRKYRICK's posts

oh yeh, a Trader Joes would be nice where the former Mals supermarket/Superfitness used to be....oh we cant do that, the city has a contract that says they cant, so we get more high rises ah well or another dollar store

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hawthorne3. Show hawthorne3's posts

it's so sad when the mayor's neighbors on Maple street sit on there front porch drinking corona's and smoking pot right out in the open for all to see.  The house i am talking about is right next door the Mayor howards house on the Maple street side.  A bunch of thugs living there with no regard for the neighborhood, and the Mayor does nothing about it.  I won't let my 13 year old daughter walk by herself to school because of this house. here i am paying over 5k a year on taxes and i can't let my kid walk to school because of these section 8 dirtbags. Keep building more apartments because that is all Malden can attract now... thanks Mayor and city councilors you turned a wonderful blue collar town into "Maldenbury/maldenhood". Can't wait for the election..

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JIRKYRICK. Show JIRKYRICK's posts

its too late hawthorne, the mayor is not giving us a chance to throw him out, so sad, but at least he is doing his part to improve Malden by leaving office, wonder if his "special assistant" position goes with him

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from goindownswingin. Show goindownswingin's posts

the mayor still lives there? i heard he did not...........trader joes? lol...maybe another super88......

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JIRKYRICK. Show JIRKYRICK's posts

yep, super 88 sounds about right ;)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from goindownswingin. Show goindownswingin's posts

that would be funnier if it wasn't so true....:P

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hawthorne3. Show hawthorne3's posts

he is leaving a little too late, the damage is done. whomever becomes Mayor will have a tough job turning this place around.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from goindownswingin. Show goindownswingin's posts

....i actually agree with that whole post....shocking....and hey, if a school can't make money of its kids, who can it make it off of?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JIRKYRICK. Show JIRKYRICK's posts

hey, I posted legitimate items, yeh, the mayor leaving may seem like a flip answer, but I really do think it would be one of the top 10 things for the city.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkDontTrip. Show WalkDontTrip's posts

1) Stop building Condos
    2) Get big recycle barrels
    3) Full staff all PS depts. Aux Cops and all.
    4) Enforce all rules.
    5) Real Stores for downtown and around.
    6) Get rid of the T Station.
    7) Elect Gary.
    8) Public Whippings every month in the Plaza.
    10) Better education for adults.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JIRKYRICK. Show JIRKYRICK's posts

do we just whip our city councilors?  They are probably deserving

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkDontTrip. Show WalkDontTrip's posts

No every punk kid that walks infront of cars and looks at you like "HOW RUDE" and wants to start a fight.

Or people behind you that lean on the horn RIGHT when the light turns green. Please give me time to move my foot.

Or the people that that do not wave at the Liberty Tax woman.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from goindownswingin. Show goindownswingin's posts

elect gary?.....thinking....gary who? hmmmmm gary gary gary.....nope..nothing...i give up...gary who?