Trash Talk

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkDontTrip. Show WalkDontTrip's posts

Trash Talk

People are throwing some good ideas around. Here is the bags im talking about.

http://www.uline.com/BL_6761/Steel-Tuff-Liners

http://www.plasticplace.net/productlist/Environmentally-Friendly-Bags/46

We need a combo of these two bags. I like the last one.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Driver54. Show Driver54's posts

Re: Trash Talk

WalkDonttrip   thank you never knew about these sites big help, now we have 3 ideas out there;

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JIRKYRICK. Show JIRKYRICK's posts

why even talk about bags, lets go to a plan like Medford or Everett. 

I still do not know what to do with items that are too big or two heavy to put in a plastic bag, or items that have edges or corners to them, they just rip bags.

I tried putting in an old turntable into the recyle container, it is not hazardous waste and mostly plastic, the garbage men took out of the bin and left it on the sidewalk,  Of course if put in a plastic bag, it is to big and rips it.

Someone left a metal piece of junk on the sidewalk in front of my house.  To heavy for a plastic bag and again, they took out of the recylce bin and left it on the sidewalk.

The current plan is STOOPID!! We need trash barrels for stuff that is not recycable, one barrel per household with bar code scanners.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkDontTrip. Show WalkDontTrip's posts

Rick I agree 150% on the barrels.

To help you now. Go to city hall and get the new "TRASH" sticker. You can put the trash bags in that and also the turntable. If not put it outside the DPW yard lol.

Gary is pushing for barrels. But in the mean time if they do not switch to that program, we need better bags. We all can agree that the bags are weak and crappy.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from newuser09. Show newuser09's posts

Medford I think has a good plan each get a huge barrel if you have more that that one barrel can handle you have two options Buy some of the city bags or wait until the next week!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkDontTrip. Show WalkDontTrip's posts

Medford does have a great plan. Look at medfords streets then our streets after trash day. We are making a mess of our streets. That guy miller has to start another war with these trash bags. Dont get rid of the program, better the program.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkDontTrip. Show WalkDontTrip's posts

http://www.restockit.com/rubbermaid-50-gallon-brute-reg-recycling-rollout-container-with-lid-(rcp9w27-06blu).html

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkDontTrip. Show WalkDontTrip's posts

even better....

http://www.nextag.com/trash-can-with-wheels/compare-html

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cantbreath. Show cantbreath's posts

1 - Trash is paid by tonnage. The bags we have are designed to come apart at a certain weight. That way you are paying for your trash. If they get bags to hold more weight they will cost more money.

2 - The town this mayor and the councilors built is one where people will not recycle unless it costs them a dollar. As soon as it cost a dollar the tonnage recycled increased an enormous amount and that is partly why they did not make as much on selling bags as they anticipated. If Malden goes to barrels the citizens will not bother to recycle again. It is not a citizenry that will recycle because it is the right thing to do. 

The bags are lousy but it works for this town. 

I do think the city yard could have a place to drop off metal and collect it. (they do for yard waste, why not metal?). It helps the citizens get rid of difficult items in a responsible way, keeps the metals out of our trash system which is incinerated and contributes to the worst sort of air pollution. Once in a while they guys in the city yard could truck the metals to chelsea or everett and dispose of the metal properly and get a few bucks for their Christmas party. That is not that hard and should have always been a part of the plan. 

It only shows that they never really cared about recycling or a working plan for the citizens, they just saw a plan for pie in the sky money. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkDontTrip. Show WalkDontTrip's posts

The way i see it is, if they will not give us barells, give us better bags. In talking to Gary (Who voted against the PATY) he plans on fixing the program. We all should recycle. But this program did not generate the money that was projected. I will be willing to pay 50 cents more for stronger bags. A ton is a ton no matter what size bag you have.

Either adopt medfords plan or give us strong bags. These bags break at the handles more then the bag itself.

I do not care about the price. I care about the streets being a mess after. Thats when the mice and rats come in to play. Thats when racoon foaming at the mouth come to visit you. Then when you get bitten, get a great lawyer and then win a peice of land.

JRM is the worst Comp I ever seen. But the city has a conntection to it. I feel JRM should fund a clean up week every other month to pick up after them.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JIRKYRICK. Show JIRKYRICK's posts

cantbreath, I disagree, people probably did not recyle because the of the lame little platic bins that hold a couple of plastic bottles, and break after a few tosses to the street by the JRM people

I use the labels that you can get from the dpw (why did they not include those in the mailed notice with the sample bag) that you put on barrels that say paper or mixed and use them to recycle already,  You should also have a reasonable size barrel for trash.  The other citys limit it by giving you a smaller barrel for non recyclable items and you pay extra for each barrel if you need more than one barrel per week. That forces you to recyle.

Everett also provides incentives is my understanding.  Incentives are positive reienforcement,  The Blue bags are negative punishment brought to you buy the same people that want to punish you and set curfews for adults in malden with the lame sticker curfew program, 

better to have drunk drivers out on the road than sleeping it off at your house

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Driver54. Show Driver54's posts

WalkadontTrip---20 dollars for 10 bags is way too much---there must be a cheaper way to do the trash and recycling---your right
    JRM is not doing a good Job and seems they do not care;

Again we have to find a cheaper bag & stronger bag which I mention

before--seems Mintx is stronger has had some good remarks about

them--the cost is cheaper and would probably bring more money for

the city--other word is both the city can make money and also the

distributor of the bag. I have read most of the material on them than
    today i saw just on my street 4 bags ripped apart by either birds, squirral, or people looking for bottles to cash in which causes trash
    all over the place.
    WalkDontTrip i have pulled my nomination papers this morning and
    already have 25 signatures.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JIRKYRICK. Show JIRKYRICK's posts

forget the bags..... forget the bags.... did I mention forget the bags.
    okay, unless it is part of a program that allows the use of one trash barrel and bags are for overflow and you dont want to purchase an extra barrel for the one time you need more than one barrel

The whole bags thing has nothing to do with recylcing, its a money grab by the thieves running the city. 

Why would the land clammers be looking in the trash bags for recycling?  arent they in the recycle bins?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkDontTrip. Show WalkDontTrip's posts

Im sure we could find a cheaper way. But on a simple google search I found those. Im sure we could find a ton more if we hunted.

You know what is going on at city hall? You going? Will it be on TV? I have to head into work for an hour at 6. I would like to drop by city hall. Its been some time. But every time I go they are out back and everyone is sitting on each other.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from cantbreath. Show cantbreath's posts

- the streets of Malden are not any worse than they always were. 
    - the recycling bins hold a lot more than a 'couple of plastic bottles' as anyone knows. 
    - recycling is picked up every week which is great and better than many towns which save money by picking up recycling every other week, hence the greater need for recycling barrels in those towns.
    - your case is that it was someone's else fault that people in malden did not recycle but if you give then candy (free stuff) they just might recycle?
    I prefer adults do the correct and responsible thing without being paid for it. 
    If Malden ever goes to taking trash away in barrels the recycling tonnage will go down. It can be measured and that is what will happen.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hellgirl. Show hellgirl's posts

cantbreath: When we moved here, we moved into a place that had already had it's one recycling bin per apartment/condo/household issued which, of course, had either been long since stolen or taken with by former residents.

In order for us to get stickers for free, one of us would have had to have taken a day off to go to City Hall to retrieve them. In order for a barrel, a day off to go to DPW and pay 5 dollars per bin since, as noted, we couldn't get one because the bin is tied to the address, not the actual resident.

After several months of not being able to take the time OFF FROM WORK to get the required items, we were finally able to have someone get them for us - and we paid for the bins.

So, before you talk about fostering a "culture that doesn't care", maybe you need to step off of your high horse, note that Malden is made up mostly of tenants who often don't have time/means/money to replace that which the previous tenants lost or took with them.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Driver54. Show Driver54's posts

Cantbreath  Two communities around us are now looking into a

better bag so that the squirrels and reodent, birds do not tear the

bags open and pulling out the trash----I sent Information on the bag

to the councilors and hope to hear back soon. The bags come fifty

bags per carton and cost @ 20 dollars per carton. i have all the information on this bag.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from fscib52. Show fscib52's posts

All due respect, some on this subject seem to be ok with pay to throw. Recycling is good, but again, the citizens had no say on the subject, just like the parking permits, and just like, at a larger scale Obamacare.
    Bob Miller is a great guy, and he pushed to expose the system. He made it clear to all, that the people of Malden did not want Pay to Throw. It was forced down our throats.
    I want a mayor that will put important decisions and new taxes on a ballot so it can survive or get tossed on election night.
    The democratic party has gotten away from that, and the sheep keep following.
    Driver keeps pushing to have open government. He gets it. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Driver54. Show Driver54's posts

fscib52---Thank you ---There is a cheaper way with both the city
    and the place that sells them can make a little money. like I said before I have the material on this cheaper bag and it prevents the\bag from getting ripped apart. On the open government hope I
    could send you my Platform one point I keep making is put citizens on all committees so that the citizens have a voice and not be taken as 2nd class citizens; 
    Contact me at Frankarenella@gmail.com and I will send you a copy of my Platform and the cost analysis for the parking permit;

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JIRKYRICK. Show JIRKYRICK's posts

cantbreath, really, those "small" bins hold a few bottles, and your lucky they do that since most of them a cracked and broken from being thrown to the sidewalk.

The stickers on you own barrels are a good solution for the recylcables, but they should have mailed one of each type to every resident wth the sample bag. Another example of poor execution by the cities overlords.

The bag program needs to go. It is poorly executed, forces you to go on a easter egg hunt to find them, the tie wraps on the end are useless and they barely hold anything waying more than a paper napkin, which we are supposed to recyle anyway.

Charge a one time fee or annual fee for a trash barrel or a sticker that can be placed on a barrel for non recycling, They already have stickers for recycling, how hard would it be to go the next step. I would be ok with that, anything but the stoopid bag program. Thankfully the current idiot in the mayors office is retiring with his crook assistant

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from fscib52. Show fscib52's posts

Drive, I am not interested in literature on bags. I voted against pay to throw. I would rather have one of our elected officials come up with a better plan.
    Example:
    Get rid of our contract with the trash collector. Buy (3) or (4) new packer trucks. Have a training class at our high schools for seniors who will graduate and have no job in sight.
    They could be trained in maintenance of these vehicles, (20) year lifespan, driving and operating these vehicles, dispatch, quality assurance, and for the dumber kids, like my son, throw trash in the back of the packer.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Same thing happened to me.  Landlord said tenant must have taken with them.  I too refuse to take a day off just to get a bin.  I don't understand why there is not one day of the week in which they could stay open later to accomodate the working class.  I leave my house at 7:00 and get home at 6:00. 

In Response to Re: Trash Talk:
    [QUOTE]cantbreath: When we moved here, we moved into a place that had already had it's one recycling bin per apartment/condo/household issued which, of course, had either been long since stolen or taken with by former residents. In order for us to get stickers for free, one of us would have had to have taken a day off to go to City Hall to retrieve them. In order for a barrel, a day off to go to DPW and pay 5 dollars per bin since, as noted, we couldn't get one because the bin is tied to the address, not the actual resident. After several months of not being able to take the time OFF FROM WORK to get the required items, we were finally able to have someone get them for us - and we paid for the bins. So, before you talk about fostering a "culture that doesn't care", maybe you need to step off of your high horse, note that Malden is made up mostly of tenants who often don't have time/means/money to replace that which the previous tenants lost or took with them.
    Posted by hellgirl[/QUOTE]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from laurie19. Show laurie19's posts

Forget this PAYT program it's a waste of our money period.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gutclencher. Show Gutclencher's posts

I haven't used PAYT since the day it was implemented.  Hope it turns into a huge money drain and gets cancelled.
    The city is likely losing money on it now and getting worse.  People who were non-committal before, hate it now.
    We already pay property taxes to cover this.  Only a money grab.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from fscib52. Show fscib52's posts

Laurie and Gut
    You are the voice of the majority. I still can't figure out what happen on election night.
    I heard we had 5000 votes to do away with pay to throw, but we needed10,000, 2/3 of the voting public. WTF
    This baffles me along with the foolish savings numbers that were tossed around. This tax is a pain to all the tax paying citizens.
    That example I gave would be a good way to produce real jobs. It could be an apprentorship program. work the trucks for three years and get a perminent appointment to the DPW instead of the way things are done now. WHO's WHO, hire useless relatives who could not get a job in the private sector.

Sections
Shortcuts